BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:hihi: My wife and I stopped at Arby's after shopping to get a bite to eat. Well, I parked near a window where I could see the car and still admire it since it's still new to me.

As we're sitting there, I see this guy walking up to the car. I knew he was coming to the Beast as it was the only car in the area. He gets close to the car and looks in the windows and steps back and takes a look at the car for several seconds. He got his food and went back out to his SUV. He was still looking at the car as we left the place after eating.

I guess I can't blame him as I used to stare at people's M5's before I got mine, so I know what it's like.

I'm used to that as it happens all the time with the Vette (it's a '99 but people still love the color and ask if it's new), but this was the first time with the M5, so I had to share. :1:

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I'm driving last weekend in downtown Sacramento- Friday evening. Kinda crowded, lots of people on the streets.

3 kids in the back, cruising to a restaurant, windows down, passing the capitol building.

Two couples, prolly late teens to early 20s, and the one guy says "Dude, that car is totally sick".. the one girl says "that is MY car"...

My kids just couldn't get over it. (The car thing hasn't really clicked for either of them yet.) Dads aren't supposed to have sick cars.

A

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I've had a number of taxi drivers at traffic lights ask if they could swap cars with me ouich

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I've had a number of taxi drivers at traffic lights ask if they could swap cars with me ouich
Well considering what those poor taxi drivers get to drive, no wonder they wanted to trade up to a diesel M5 :noSMG:
Ken

·
Registered
259 Posts
i get this kind of stuff ALL the time, the most recent was at a cheese steak place in NJ, a guy that worked there asked me if he wanted to swap with his beat-to-hell Geo Prism. I said give me a minute to think about it. BTW, I did say no.

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
this does happen often, on the road i get 'thumbs up' or 'sweet car' from the most surprising people. last year, at the monterey historics, the guy organizing the parking at the bmw corral, looked over the car, said,"this is an M5, you park it up front here." Even impressed my wife!
Mike

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
:typing: Hey Everybody! Had to drop my 2cents in!:typing: I have only 2 quick stories to tell. I have only had the "Beast" for a month now, and onlt the 2 stories to share. First, a friends son in the nieghborhood loves fast cars and the other day he found out from someone that I had an M5. He was in heaven to see it and then I just had to take him for a ride, he was ear to ear smiles!!:eek: :) That was great!!!

Then, the wife,daughter and I are driving in Georgetown, in Wash dc and 2 my wife saw 2 gentlemen nearly snap their necks watching us drive by. Well, you know I had to drive back by, no parking spaces where we were looking and there they were, same looks, mouth open, tongue draging!!:eek: I know thats what I used to look like!!:M5thumbs: Anyway, be safe!!!:M5launch:

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
mottati said:
this does happen often, on the road i get 'thumbs up' or 'sweet car' from the most surprising people. last year, at the monterey historics, the guy organizing the parking at the bmw corral, looked over the car, said,"this is an M5, you park it up front here." Even impressed my wife!
Mike
In a similar vein, I have gone to some fancy hotels and restaurants in Palm Beach and Boca. Generally, valets know their cars. Usually gets parked up front in the first row, occassionally second row if there are ultra exotics (after all, this IS Palm Beach!!!LOL). :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,318 Posts
Last night I was driving home on the freeway when I noticed this fast moving pair of headlights coming towards me. I was in the far right lane (4 lane fwy) and it slowed down when it got close to me. It almost seemed to hang just a hair behind me for a while. I could see a couple of teenagers yelling and pointing at my cars enthusiastically. Then the driver floored it but since it was just a Honda Civic with a very loud tube, it went by slowly. Leaving the car in 6th, sport mode on, I floored the gas. Needless to say, I left the car behind in a big hurry. I did this twice. When I finally slowed down enough to let them pass, they gave me a bunch of big thumbs up! I guess they really liked my car AND the Dinan exhaust! :hihi:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Some notice and some don't as the M5 has some less than obvious perfromance hints in its styling. Now if you add a 3 foot high spoiler, graphics and the like you will really get noticed. What is really nice is that when someone does notice the car you know they are most likely an enthusiast!

Here in Boston I have seen a couple of silver M5s on 128 (anyone here?) but for the most part not many are out on a daily basis. M3s on the other hand are not an uncommon daily sight. So it is nice to be noticed by a M3 driver, fellow M5 driver or any type of performance oriented auto while tooling around.

My favorite encounter has to be the time my wife took the car shopping to a local Nordstroms to purchase whatever. Nordstroms sent out one of their associates to assist with loading up her purchases and as she tells it when the kid saw the car he immediately asked "is that a REAL M5" and couldn't stop gawking to the point that she took the time to allow him to look around and even opening the hood for the guy! I didn't even know she knew how to??? The background = she is not really a car "guy" but has always put up with me and my "hobby = $$$" but has always loved driving the various cars I have owned. Never the less this sealed the deal on the M5 and I have never heard anything about its cost since... This was worth many brownie points.

So a little attention is a good thing but even better when the other half of the equation gets it! :haha2:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've had several guys come up and start talking to me about the beast since I've had it, but I think yesterday takes the cake. We were driving down to Rockville and had just jumped on the DC beltway and hit the moving parking lot. I wasn't really paying attention since some lanes go faster at times so didn't notice a guy in an e36 M3 come up faster in the right lane then just stopped and paced me just in front of the passenger fender. He must have been there a good 10-15 seconds before I really noticed something out of the corner of my eye and looked over. The guy had his window down, half his body out the window, just staring at the car not even looking where he was going! Now it's a good thing we weren't exactly doing mach 1, I think around 10-15 mph but still very funny. even after I saw him and gave him a wave and nod, he still hung out the window for another 15-20 seconds. That made the traffic seem a little less annoying but I'd never seen that one before. Wish I'd had my camera so I could take a picture of the guy staring at me!

:cheers:

Sean

·
Registered
351 Posts
In the A-T-L, as some cultures call Atlanta, most of the urban hip hop set don't even look at the car, but instead just pull up and look at the wheels. Go figure.
TripleD

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I've not had any gawker's lately, only when the car was new on late '01. My best story was with a 3000GT VR-4 when new in 1991. I was at a Wendy's and watching the car out a window. A family in a station wagon pulled up. The father took his son around to look at the VR-4. The mother walked with the daughter towards the restaurant and motioned for the dad to come on. She then stopped to tie the daughter's bow on her dress. The dad turned around and went back to admire the VR-4.

·
Registered
446 Posts
rodman31 said:
He was in heaven to see it and then I just had to take him for a ride
I'm glad that guys like you are out there. Hearing this and from others about "I remember that I used to stare at M5s before I got mine," etc. is very heartening.
If somebody's that excited about your car, recognizing their enthusiasm goes a long way. Good karma.
Many thanks again to SouthshoreM5 in 2002 for my first ride in an M5...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I rarely notice any looks or gawkers witht the M5....but my other cars....that's another story. General rule of thumb.....I don't drive the Ferrari's unless I feel like talking!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Ingenere;
slightly off topic I am one of the Ferrari gawkers. I was in Boca Raton last year. Ferrari 360s became a dime a dozen. I stopped gawking after about the 10th sighting. By that point 360s, Rolls, & Bentleys all outnumbered M5s 10 to 1! However my friend and I headed for the beach. We just got out of the car and I saw a Ferrari come over a bridge. My camera was still in the bag so I yelled to my friend to snap a picture. He turned and took the picture just as I realized the car was an F40! The car sounded better than it looked as he accelerated away. Once I told my friend what an F40 was he went nuts. The picture is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Richard in NC said:
Ingenere;
slightly off topic I am one of the Ferrari gawkers. I was in Boca Raton last year. Ferrari 360s became a dime a dozen. I stopped gawking after about the 10th sighting. By that point 360s, Rolls, & Bentleys all outnumbered M5s 10 to 1! However my friend and I headed for the beach. We just got out of the car and I saw a Ferrari come over a bridge. My camera was still in the bag so I yelled to my friend to snap a picture. He turned and took the picture just as I realized the car was an F40! The car sounded better than it looked as he accelerated away. Once I told my friend what an F40 was he went nuts. The picture is attached.
The 360 has been sooooooooo overproduced. Every punter with a gold chain and a good credit rating wants one and frankly I feel that the styling is a bit bland. The only 360 that I would even consider is the 360 Challenge Stradale. As for the F40...........Una Bella Machinna!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts