BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was beginning to see some wear on my seat bolsters and on my door handles in my camel interior'd M5 and I sought out a fix. I was rather surprised to hear that these spots could be professionally re-dyed to restore their original color. I was even more surprised that I got about a half-dozen spots matched back to the original color and blended in by a local guy the BMW place uses.

The results were fantastic! And only about $180. I highly recommend this procedure if you're seeing some areas where the color is being rubbed off from daily use. I'd be happy to get details as to what process was used if anyone is interested.

People are always amazed that my car is 4 years old and has 42,000 miles on it, makes me smile when people whip their head around when I breeze by!

:1:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am extremely interested!!!

I have the driver's side door panel all scratched up (nails or something like that) from the previous owner. and my seats are starting to show discoloration from rubbing in a few spots. bugs me a lot.... :)
I knew there should be something to fix this .. just could not find it.
I saw here that some folks repainted their seats but that's not what I want to do ... please share with us !!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Since it is in Houston I'd like to check it out. An address or a Ph# would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Stoner said:
I was beginning to see some wear on my seat bolsters and on my door handles in my camel interior'd M5 and I sought out a fix. I was rather surprised to hear that these spots could be professionally re-dyed to restore their original color. I was even more surprised that I got about a half-dozen spots matched back to the original color and blended in by a local guy the BMW place uses.

The results were fantastic! And only about $180. I highly recommend this procedure if you're seeing some areas where the color is being rubbed off from daily use. I'd be happy to get details as to what process was used if anyone is interested.

People are always amazed that my car is 4 years old and has 42,000 miles on it, makes me smile when people whip their head around when I breeze by!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Stoner said:
I'd be happy to get details as to what process was used if anyone is interested.
Hello Stoner.
I'm really glad that this worked out for you. Of course we are interested!! Please share what info you can - hopefully it will be something that someone elsewhere can replicate.

Thank you in advance!
Alfred

·
Registered
12,932 Posts
Stoner said:

I did the same, with the same great results. Guy came recommended from the dealership. He mixed up a batch of color and asked if there was anything else to do, as he discards the extra. Reasonable price like yours and makes the inside look new again.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have a few white spots on my driver side head rest... previous owner must have had some greasy *** hair! I asked dealer about replacement and the SA said they have a guy who re-dyes stuff and the prices are very good.

My driver side door armrest handle is VERY shiny and I've got TONS of black coming off when I leather condition it, so I think I'm going to have to give this re-dye a shot and see what happens.

My car is still under original warranty and then CPO, so if it comes out botched up, I'll make them replace it with a new panel.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Has anyone done touch-ups with over-the-counter products? I use a good leather conditioner occasionally but I've got a few scratches and worn areas on the thigh boslters that I'd like to fix up. I've got the black nappa leather.

·
10,458 Posts
i have not used this, but leatherique (www.leatherique.com i believe) makes kits to touch up or re-dye interiors. I recently read a write up about it, i think in forza magazine, and the writer was pleased with the results. iirc, i think there is also a write up on m3forum.net under the detailing section.

I have used their leather care products, which work exceptionally well, but are labor intensive.
Mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ouich Sorry for being so late in responding, I just saw the great response I had on this post. I will call my leather guy and get details, as well as his phone number. I just saw the receipt the other day, will dig it up and get back to you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
mottati said:
i have not used this, but leatherique (www.leatherique.com i believe) makes kits to touch up or re-dye interiors.
I bought their black dye and restoration kit and it really worked wonders. I now mix a little black dye in with some leatherigue leather conditioner and spray it on and wipe it off. People say my seats look new.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, guys and gals. Stoner here. I finally found the name and phone number of the guy that did my leather with very nice results. Sorry for the delay!

Stephen Baldwin - Interior Repair - 832-768-1425.

I highly recommend him, he took like two hours just mixing and matching the color of my baby!

Remind him that the guy with the LMB M5 that he did at (Terry's) Lawell Motorsports about 4 months ago sent you. I hope you'll be happy!

:wroom:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Stoner said:
OK, guys and gals. Stoner here. I finally found the name and phone number of the guy that did my leather with very nice results. Sorry for the delay!

Stephen Baldwin - Interior Repair - 832-768-1425.

I highly recommend him, he took like two hours just mixing and matching the color of my baby!

Remind him that the guy with the LMB M5 that he did at (Terry's) Lawell Motorsports about 4 months ago sent you. I hope you'll be happy!

:wroom:

Any photos of some re-dying work? I need some sports on my caramel re-done also.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have been using mothers leather restorer or some thing like that. I bought it in Walmart and it is UNREAL how well it works. I was pissed that at 30k miles I had some not perfect patches.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess the real benefit of redyeing comes when your wear is to the point where you're seeing white in the cracks. Putting the color back in is important in re-establishing the original look. Plus, on areas like the door handles where it may not be leather, the same process puts the original surface back on there. You can't beat that and I don't think you can get that in an over the counter bottle. Plus, as I noticed when I bought my car - anything other than a "permanent" fix is going to come off when you next apply conditioner or wipe the area well. (This is what lead me to having the area done properly, the guy that sold me the car had done a touch up job that literally came off on my mechanic's towell as he was clearing a handprint). :(

I agree that Meguire's or Lexol or whatever quality product you want to use will help keep the leather nice and conditioned. From my 225 pound, 6"3 frame, however, I think a little leather work may have to be done on the seats now and again! :3:

Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts