BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a picture is worth a thousand words this one would be measured with a £ sign in front of it and then multiplied by the german manufacturing factor. Has anyone put a chevy in the M5?!

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Must be that dual vanos, some powerful stuff I tell you...

·
Registered
931 Posts
That sucks:crying:

I don't know if a chevy engine is really the right engine for the M5, but what do you think about the S85 V10lovelove. That definitely would be something really special, and ///M Power is always the right decision:applause:

I'm not sure if the S85 fits into the M5 E39, but if it fits into the M3 E30 that shouldn't be a problem for the M5 E39.

But this is also a nice solution, just a bit different: LINK

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This happened while constant speed cruising on the motorway, it was a cold morning here in the UK. At least i had not yet taken the bottom end off to change the rod bearings - i had planned to do that a couple of months back, in the end they were not as worn as some. As far as im aware this is not a common mode of failure for these blocks?

That v10 is a tasty lump - apparently the electricals are a nightmare to get set up when changing platforms. The engine is with Geoff Steele and the plan is to install steel liners and custom pistons. Could not believe how agricultural the stock flywheel is - you could use it to grind flour in a mill! That has to change..

·
Registered
756 Posts
pectel have an alternative ecu setup for the s85,although i havent heard of it being used/retrofitted into the e39 platform, though i dont think this is insurmountable.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Not what you want to see.

Good luck with the repair though

cheers

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
For the price and hassle of converting to a V10 or a Japanese motor, you can build one helluva nice S62.

Was that burn thru just a head gasket issue?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im no engineer, i have no idea how or why this has happened. The pic shows an interesting pattern to the hole, you can also see where it looks to be starting across on the other side of the cylinder. I thought id share for those with morbid curiosity.

·
Registered
906 Posts
That ain't cheap! Sorry to hear mate

Im no engineer, i have no idea how or why this has happened. The pic shows an interesting pattern to the hole,
you can also see where it looks to be starting across on the other side of the cylinder. I thought id share for those with morbid curiosity.
The fault was the head gasket seal failed. The remaining burn-through erosion occurred over time. You will also notice that
the adjacent cylinder also shows failure of the head gasket sealing.

Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Forget swapping something different - just find a used s62 motor and put it in.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I spent a little while contemplating the several options that are out there at this point, steel sleeves and light weight pistons seem the way forward.

No symptoms - was driving up the M1 and felt a slight miss that got rapidly worse with a drop in power. Luckily i was right next to the turnoff to Donington services which i managed to Coast into.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Is yours the Nowack M5? Do you think the conversion could have shortened the engines life in some way? I only thought of it because someone mentioned putting a secondhand engine in, whihc obviously won't have had the conversion done on it.

cheers

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, this is one of the cars with the Nowack conversion. I dont know if that is what is responsible for the damage although Alan suggests this was burn through which occured over a period of time - whether or not the maps from Nowack were to blame i also dont know. Whilst at the dyno with Sal we discussed further potential in the car, we talked about re-mapping and planned to do this after i had the rod bearings changed. I suppose i will have new rod bearings now..

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Could have been, but might not have been anything to do with the Nowack work. If this was the one and only engine failure of this kind, then easy to point the finger! Get it put back together and then enjoy it more as you know it will pretty much be brand new again for you!

cheers

Reactions: wkd928
1 - 20 of 147 Posts