BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the H&R springs I had on the vehicle with Eibach springs and immediately noticed that after uninstalling the H&R, the strut/shock (rear) is leaking!!!:1zhelp: Installer of the Eibach springs is not at fault...as I am most confident in their ability and experience dealing with changing out springs. The only culprit we can come up with: H&R springs or regular wear/faulty strut (later of which is highly unlikely). Considering that the leakage started IMMEDIATELY after replacing the H&Rs w/Eibachs (keeping in mind the the Eibachs raise the car by about 1/2" in comparison to the H&R...in the rear), my guess is that riding that aggressively low with the H&Rs has compromised the struts to the point that when reversing the lowering effects of the H&Rs, the struts have such adverse reaction. This was verified by the BMW dealer. Be warned, BMW struts were priced out at ~$1500+ each plus labor AND under such circumstances are not covered by factory warranty!

·
Registered
991 Posts
After reading all the issues on H&R's, I've made up my mind and am going to go ahead and go with eibachs. I can't believe one bmw shock absorber is $1500, that is robbery.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After reading all the issues on H&R's, I've made up my mind and am going to go ahead and go with eibachs. I can't believe one bmw shock absorber is $1500, that is robbery.
...cost probably has a lot to do with the fact the EDC or air-shock suspension sys employeed...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
thanks for this thread....I will rethink getting H&R's.....I guess Eibach may be the way to go...although I did want a little more drop...

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
thanks for this thread....I will rethink getting H&R's.....I guess Eibach may be the way to go...although I did want a little more drop...
The RDSport one has the lowest drop of all so far. PM EuroCarFan for some pics

Kenny

BTW, nice meeting you at RPI last Sat and hope your M6 arrive soon

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

Kenny

Thanks Kenny...yea it was awesome seeing you guys...1st mod will def. be the scoops...and I will look at the RDSport springs as well...thanks!

2 more days!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Replaced the H&R springs I had on the vehicle with Eibach springs and immediately noticed that after uninstalling the H&R, the strut/shock (rear) is leaking!!!:1zhelp: Installer of the Eibach springs is not at fault...as I am most confident in their ability and experience dealing with changing out springs. The only culprit we can come up with: H&R springs or regular wear/faulty strut (later of which is highly unlikely). Considering that the leakage started IMMEDIATELY after replacing the H&Rs w/Eibachs (keeping in mind the the Eibachs raise the car by about 1/2" in comparison to the H&R...in the rear), my guess is that riding that aggressively low with the H&Rs has compromised the struts to the point that when reversing the lowering effects of the H&Rs, the struts have such adverse reaction. This was verified by the BMW dealer. Be warned, BMW struts were priced out at ~$1500+ each plus labor AND under such circumstances are not covered by factory warranty!
My AD did the installation of my H&R, I'll ask him if he is aware of this problem.

·
Registered
991 Posts

Kenny

I just did a search for M6's with RD Sport Springs, I pm'ed a guy with them on his M6 to see how they are riding and where he got them, seems kinda hard to find some cheaper than the list price at rdsport.com - if anyone is interested in what I find out when I get some replies just drop me a pm.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
first time I have heard an issue about H&R springs on m6, but still not convinced to change to any other springs, thats just me

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

///M Lifestyle said:
first time I have heard an issue about H&R springs on m6, but still not convinced to change to any other springs, thats just me
1 out of 5 threads are about h & r springs. Many people dont like the harsh ride which to me is not an issue. Its the other issues of the stiff suspension that worries me such as and handling and mechanical problems. I wanna get moreinfo on the rd sport bc I want the 1.5 drop h & r gives you but the ride eibach leaves you with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

1 out of 5 threads are about h & r springs. Many people dont like the harsh ride which to me is not an issue. Its the other issues of the stiff suspension that worries me such as and handling and mechanical problems. I wanna get moreinfo on the rd sport bc I want the 1.5 drop h & r gives you but the ride eibach leaves you with.
My 2007 strut has gone completely BAD (its oil completely leaked out of the pressurized cylinder) because of the LOWER RIDE HEIGHT based on what I have been able to gather. Considering each strut/shock is $1900 + labor and that this not covered under warranty PLUS the safety issues associated with such state of suspension, having the lower stance that H&R, RDS, or Hartge provide may need to be re-evaluated.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Thanks Kenny...yea it was awesome seeing you guys...1st mod will def. be the scoops...and I will look at the RDSport springs as well...thanks!

2 more days!
Just a thought. I have Hartge springs that drop the car -1.2 inches as opposed the H&R at -1.0. I have had zero issues with them and they are not nearly as stiff as the H&R's. I had H&R's on another M6 and no first hand how brutal they can be. So to recommend another option is going with Hartge. I got mine from Turner Motorsports installed at Evosport.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I just did a search for M6's with RD Sport Springs, I pm'ed a guy with them on his M6 to see how they are riding and where he got them, seems kinda hard to find some cheaper than the list price at rdsport.com - if anyone is interested in what I find out when I get some replies just drop me a pm.
I am very interested!

I'm also interested in the Hartge springs...

I too want the drop of H&R without the stiffness....it seems to be that the stiffness is too harsh on the shocks??

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a thought. I have Hartge springs that drop the car -1.2 inches as opposed the H&R at -1.0. I have had zero issues with them and they are not nearly as stiff as the H&R's. I had H&R's on another M6 and no first hand how brutal they can be. So to recommend another option is going with Hartge. I got mine from Turner Motorsports installed at Evosport.
the H&Rs state 1" drop but in actuallity they drop closer to 1.25"! From what I have heard, the H&Rs are more stiff than the Hartge BUT the issue of leakage from my strut seems to not be associated with the stiffness of the spring but rather the degree to which the springs lower the car. When the struts are consistantly compressed down to the levels they are when the vehicle is dropped by 1-1.2", the struts settle and when they are decompressed, as they are in the case of mine where I raised the car back up to ~.6" with the Eibachs, the struts are all the sudden out of their range!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
so recommended drop should be less than an inch???

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so recommended drop should be less than an inch???
I had the H&Rs 'til last week which lowered by 1.25"...but had the Eibachs installed three days ago b/c H&Rs were too harsh and I scraped too often...but immediately upon installation of the Eibachs, one of the rear struts started majorly leaking to where by yesterday it was completely shot. The Eibachs lower the car about .5" less than the H&Rs and their ride quality is a hair different from the OEM/Stock vs H&R is too harsh on the freeway. 1.25" drop on the M6 makes the car too slammed in my opinion but even aside from my opinion, the mechanical side-effects together with the hassle of scraping and the harshness of the ride, all add up to too many negatives against H&Rs. For those who are going to ignore the potential side-effects of dropping the car to 1.25", Hartge may be the way to go but I would be surprised if Hartge is that much softer than the H&Rs! Having gone thru three sets of springs (OEM/stock, H&R, & Eibach), I would recommend the Eibachs overall. Also, price and time-wise, I recommend SupremePower for purchase and install.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Why do you think the lower ride height would cause leakage. I do not think you are correct in this assumption.

The leakage was caused by a bad strut, not the car being lowered 5mm more than another aftermarket spring.

What causes struts to blow is bad valving and heat, nothing else. Trust me, the strut will hit the bump stops before "blowing out", you have your stock struts and shocks, so I assume you did not remove the bump stops as they are built in.

The only negative effect of having a lower ride height is that the shock/strut has less travel and hence can not do its job of comfort.

Think of it this way, the shock/strut has fluid/magnets and such that allows it to move, when compressed it just has less room to move so it cant do its job as well.

Now if you took the suspension all the way down to the bottom of travel like 5" drop and removed the bump stops and put abnormal loads on it, you would have blown it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why do you think the lower ride height would cause leakage. I do not think you are correct in this assumption.

The leakage was caused by a bad strut, not the car being lowered 5mm more than another aftermarket spring.

What causes struts to blow is bad valving and heat, nothing else. Trust me, the strut will hit the bump stops before "blowing out", you have your stock struts and shocks, so I assume you did not remove the bump stops as they are built in.

The only negative effect of having a lower ride height is that the shock/strut has less travel and hence can not do its job of comfort.

Think of it this way, the shock/strut has fluid/magnets and such that allows it to move, when compressed it just has less room to move so it cant do its job as well.

Now if you took the suspension all the way down to the bottom of travel like 5" drop and removed the bump stops and put abnormal loads on it, you would have blown it.
Speculation is speculation. The strut failure could have been caused for reasons not relating to the lowering BUT to think that, that could be the colprit, well considering this is a 2007 with less than 12k miles, that would be very unlikely. Then there is question of proper installation: no question! These guys know their stuff so... I have been modifying M-series since the 1st generation M3, playing with suspension and OBDs and all sorts...and all the background info in here plus the experience tells me the problem is a side-effect of H&Rs. BUT at the end of the day, what makes ALL the DIFFERENCE is the fact that the non-warranty covered nature of such situation, together with the cost of the repairs ($1900+ per side) should be enough to WARN most owner of the chance(s) they are taking by lower the vehicle that much. P.S.: these adjustable struts on M6 are not your everyday, garden variety Bilsteins!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Who said install was an issue, you asked and answered your own questions. I never said you did not know what aftermarket parts to buy.

All I said was how can you advocate that by going to a 5mm longer spring that would have prevented your blown strut?

And as far as being everyday Varity Bilsteins they certainly are not. They are POS Boge suspension has to be the worst of the adjustable dampener systems I have ever seen. They should never have been put on a car such as the M6.

If anyone wants warranty coverage, stay stock and don’t mod!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts