BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I've had some additional time to consider the pros and cons of the H&R 29441/koni install:

1. pro: the konis provide great control - they are keepers!
2. con: the headlights won't aim properly. The resulting 'angle' that the chassis takes when lowering the front end without lowering the rear prevents my headlights from being elevated adequately. For clarification...it is safe lighting, but not ideal. The elevation screw is maxed out, and I don't have adequate elevation to properly project light. (Note: I have replaced the OE lights with Hella Angel Eyes, but the assembly is properly installed to my knowledge, and the fitment of the assembly within fender can only allow minor error, if any, from an elevation perspective). I'm still diagnosing this one, and I'll call H&R on Monday. (see follow up in message below)
3. con: limited clearance on the front that will cause grief in parking lots. There is only 3.5" of clearance between the road surface and the plastic covers underneath the engine compartment. Perhaps I don't have operating conditions that will allow me to enjoy the other benefits of a lower car.
4. con: H&R provides a replacement 'rear height sensing rod' that is of unacceptable quality and is not a durable part (perhaps that is why they gave me two). It's plastic with two press-fit pieces of hardware that allow it to pivot. It replaces a steel link with completely sealed joints. I would hesitate to put this piece of junk on any machine.hmmm

Unless my call with H&R this week provides some good answers for the headlamps (which could be my error) these springs may come off for that reason alone.

For handling impressions, and aesthetics I am still gathering observations. I'm not sure...I may inevitably elect to go back to stock, or find a rear spring that matches the height better for both appearance and balance. I've seen older threads that suggest modifying stock springs by cutting is possible, and if the proper amount is removed I could have a better height match, and perhaps a more similar stiffness as well. I would have no idea how to calculate this.

Something in the back of my head is tellling me I should've just dropped the $500 on a set of Dinan springs. Anyone have any Dinan springs laying around the garage?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I installed the H&R springs about 6 months ago and have had no problems.

The headlights still aim fine and I drive the car at night quite a bit.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
OldRanger:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the H&R setup. I am willing to bet the problem with your headlights is the xenon adjustment bar that is on the rigth front suspension system. Many times, the adjustment bar gets put on upside down and the headlights are aimed very low (to the poiint of being dangerous). Try getting the car up in the air and flipping the little plastic bar around (it rides on the contorl arms I beleive). This should aim your headlights properly. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TCM said:
OldRanger: Try getting the car up in the air and flipping the little plastic bar around (it rides on the contorl arms I beleive). This should aim your headlights properly. Hope this helps.
I will definetly try this out...thanks for the recommendations. Your comments as well as mricorp's lead me to believe there is a solution to the headlight problem.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Whoops. Only I can take the blame for the headlight aim. After further inspection, I found that I actually broke the plastic lever arm of the ride-height sensor at some point during the installation of my right side strut assembly. :sad1:

In spite of the fact that I was being cautious regarding this risk, I still broke it. I don't even remember when. I speculate I was not careful enough handling the brake calipers when positioning them out of the way for the r/r.

I've attempted a repair of the broken plastic component, and will check out the headlight aim tonight. (after I'm done with my stint in the Dunce's chair in the corner.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts