BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my H&R coilovers in for about 1K miles now, and I have come to the conclusion that they are too stiff for every day driving.
Ive pretty much given up hope that the will break in and soften any more, so I am now hoping to find some softer springs for the coil overs.
I have searched the net, and this forum but have not found any answers as to weather there is any option for changing the springs out for softer units.

Has anyone on here had experience with the H&R coilover set up?
Am I crazy to think they are too stiff?

My wife does not want to ride in my car anymore, she says she would rather ride in our 3/4 tone truck!!

Here is a link to the kit I bought from Turner:
Turner Motorsport - Item# 50420-1 - E39 M5 H&R Coilover Suspension Kit - E39

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have a set of h&r and i thought the same.
first off what is your ride height?
in order to change the springs, u need to change the top mount so it will take different springs, unless u can find a company that will make the same diameter top and bottom to what came with the h&r.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
i have a set and i like mine....

·
Registered
72 Posts
i like too, until i hit a very rough road, then its obnoxious. 90% of the time its fine for the most part, those 10% are when i think its ******ed

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my freeways around me are pretty rough, it is mainly the transitions from concrete to asphalt and back that is really bad.
To me it feels like the springs do not allow much wheel travel.

Sometimes I get bounced out of the seat!

I was really hoping that H&R would have alternative springs in the same sizes and I could just go down 50-75 lbs/in and see how it feels.

The other question that keeps coming to mind is weather this ride is due to the spring rates or to the dampening.
If its the dampening then there really is not too much I can do because it is not adjustable, hence me wanting to play with spring rates.

I chose the H&R's because I got a good deal on them, and now Im kicking my self because I should have bit the bullet and bought the PSS9's instead.

·
Registered
72 Posts
if ur bouncing off ur seat, ur too low. raise the car back up. i had the same deal when i got the car, po had it LOW.... raising it up allowed for the suspension to move. sounds like ur local enough to me so im sure we use the same fwys.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I am in downtown LA, I can look as well. We can arrange a meet :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Your experience is something I read about quite often with owners of H&R coilovers. I also have not read about anyone being able to run a softer H&R spring with their coilovers. Most owners I know sell the kit and buy a different brand.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Before you throw in the towel and rip it all out, I think you should try this.

if ur bouncing off ur seat, ur too low. raise the car back up. i had the same deal when i got the car, po had it LOW.... raising it up allowed for the suspension to move. sounds like ur local enough to me so im sure we use the same fwys.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really dont think the car is too low.
It is only lowered 3/4" in the rear and 1" in the front.

I was acutally thinking lowering the car a little more could help get the car more in the middle of the suspension, allowing the more droop / rebound-ability.

Im starting to agree with M5555 on this, I just bought the stiffest set up there is.

AmpliFyre,
My office is in Anaheim hills, Im up in placentia all the time and would love to see what your ride height looks like compared to mine.
Maybe we can meet up there around lunch time during the week, if you have time. I will try to PM you.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

Im starting to agree with M5555 on this, I just bought the stiffest set up there is.
IIRC Dinan recommends coilovers to be at 13.25" all around when measured from the fender to the center of the wheel for the best rebound/spring travel. I am at 13" all around on my PSS9.

You can try to raise the car in hopes it will help reduce the stiffness, however, you then sacrifice the lowered visual enhancement that most likely was one factor in considering coilovers. With that being said, if you are a DIYer and can remove the suspension on your own, I'd recommend possibly exploring a different suspension that gives you a better ride quality as well as the look you're aiming for. Some possible suggestions include PSS9, Ground Control, and BC Racing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just went out and measured the car and its at 13.25", +/- 1/16" all the way around.
So I think the car is at proper ride height as it sits now, and I will just need to get used to the ride or swap out the units for another brand.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Just went out and measured the car and its at 13.25", +/- 1/16" all the way around.
So I think the car is at proper ride height as it sits now, and I will just need to get used to the ride or swap out the units for another brand.
Agreed, looks like its at a decent, non-slammed ride height. Good luck man. Keep us posted on what you do.

·
Registered
72 Posts

I was acutally thinking lowering the car a little more could help get the car more in the middle of the suspension, allowing the more droop / rebound-ability.

AmpliFyre,
My office is in Anaheim hills, Im up in placentia all the time and would love to see what your ride height looks like compared to mine.
Maybe we can meet up there around lunch time during the week, if you have time. I will try to PM you.

shoot me a email tctsai121 at g mail
ya we can meet up this or next week.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was very happy with the H&R coils in my previous car over the 3 years of ownership. If I remember correctly my rear bump stops were cut. I also the car quit low and had no problems, maybe different kind of roads here?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Ive had my H&R coilovers in for about 1K miles now, and I have come to the conclusion that they are too stiff for every day driving.
Ive pretty much given up hope that the will break in and soften any more, so I am now hoping to find some softer springs for the coil overs.
I have searched the net, and this forum but have not found any answers as to weather there is any option for changing the springs out for softer units.

My wife does not want to ride in my car anymore, she says she would rather ride in our 3/4 tone truck!!

Here is a link to the kit I bought from Turner:
Turner Motorsport - Item# 50420-1 - E39 M5 H&R Coilover Suspension Kit - E39
Over the last few years since their introduction, I've seen dozens of threads on multiple forums about H&R being objectionably stiff. I heard the spring rate was near 500lb/in which is higher than most any other brand. I'm not sure if it's a spring rate problem or rideheight and bumpstop issue, but it seems almost everyone has complains. Crank it up to 14" to see if it gets softer. If so, it's getting into the bumpstops from eing too slammed. If ride doesn't improve, I would suggest selling them on ebay and investigating your next purchase before ordering and wasting money on installation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts