BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I had some H&R springs installed with Koni Sports, no camber plates. The car rides higher than stock. Using the roundel to fender measurement i'm nearly at 15". Can you see anything obviously wrong in these pictures? (Besides the dirty undercarriage!) I'll probably take it apart this weekend to check myself.

thanks...

Attachments

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
are you sure the strut is seated all the way down on the spindle? It is easy for it to hang up and get tightend up before it is fully seated. I would jack it up and loosen the spindle, with a jack under the spindle i would jack it up to make sure your strut has fully seated into the spindle.

good luck,

Ryan

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Most likely they are not seated all the way down.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Whomever did this job never took Springs 101 class. The spring is not sitting properly in the spring pocket. The bottom needs rotated 90 degrees ccw until it's about 1/2" from touching the step in the perch. This will cause higher ride height.

Since this newbie problem exists, I would be highly suspicious of:

1) similar perch-pigtail issues on the top perch
2) Koni strut tube-to-pinch crack indexing issues
3) strut tube-to-perch seating issue that Ryan also expressed concern about.

There may be other issues, but the pictures do not allow me to fully evaluate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I installed the H&R's about 6 or so months back on the factory struts (40k miles) and I just took a look at the spring perch and how it seats. Surfinmud's middle photo is how my spring is seated as well and my ride height is 13-1/2" on each side (center of Roundel to wheel well lip, directly vertical). I actually tried to seat the spring end into that lower pocket area but it doesn't fit properly because the spring isn't concentric and the first coil doesn't sit flat. They're oval and when the spring end is placed any where in the pocket the rest of coil doesn't match the perch. The only place that matches is placing the spring end on the top edge of that recessed area/pocket. The spring perches look new, did you compare them with the factory pieces? Maybe they're the wrong piece.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I had this Problem on My 540i. The Culprit was the actual Shock not sitting in the spindle properly. I too would take a look at the spring perches and compare them with the factory ones!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I though H&R springs were red?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No I won't be able to take a look until tomorrow. After LSCman's post I noticed that the spring on the passenger side was not seated the same as the driver side. It is rotated a bit more counter clockwise, just a bit more. Passenger side shown below.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will definitely post up results when I figure this out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
No I won't be able to take a look until tomorrow. After LSCman's post I noticed that the spring on the passenger side was not seated the same as the driver side. It is rotated a bit more counter clockwise, just a bit more. Passenger side shown below.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will definitely post up results when I figure this out.
It looks right.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
How can you tell?
How can I tell? I just replaced my oem stock struts/shocks with Koni sports and springs were positioned exactly the same as pictured.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Um then yours is wrong as well, if you look at the spring you can see the spring needs to turn about 1/4 more to sit in the rubber mount and strut mount properly. Which in turn will lower the car considerably

Ryan

How can I tell? I just replaced my oem stock struts/shocks with Koni sports and springs were positioned exactly the same as pictured.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
NO, it is not gonna sit lower. Just folow this thread
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115016&page=3 post #68 and up
That thread, post #88, I explain the spring situation.

As for your ride height problem, I agree with the previous posters - the damper is not properly seated in the steering knuckle. You should have a competent professional check it for being fully inserted (it's sitting too high right now) and properly indexed (rotated to the correct orientation in the pinch tube). Other than taking the wheel off, fixing this requires releasing and re-torquing exactly one bolt. It's a breeze for someone who knows what they're doing. Of course, you'll probably need your wheel alignment re-checked to make sure it's right.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Yeah ok buddy.... His spring is not seated properly in the spring perch. Yes it will lower it becuase the spring is still on a 1/2 peice of rubber that will not compress. It also needs line up on the spring perch where it is designed. if you look at the picture you will see wher eti is supposed to sit, you will also see that it is lower than where the spring sits currently. THE SPRING IS NOT INSTALLED PROPERLY, not sure where you learned how to install suspension but you can clearly see the problem in the picture. since we refer to other threads for validity I will refer you to the same thread and look at post #71. you are wrong period! The spring is not positioned correctly on the perch! Not sure why you are dispuiting this but you couldnt be more wrong!

to the Op, sorry you recieve such bad info on this board, your spring needs to turn so it is fitting properly on the perch, then you need to ensure your strut are fully seated in the spindle. this is easy, just loosen the pinching nut on the spinlde, place a jack under the ball joint or control arm, jack the car easy and I am sure you will see the spindle move up onto the strut more. once it is fully seated retighten the bolt. You can check if it is seated properly by looking on the back side of the spindle. from undreneath you can see the lip the strut will rest on. once its there your all set. it is easy to figure out once you look at it.

Good luck

Ryan

same thrare refering to other threads as some sort of proof to back our opinions you can refer to the

NO, it is not gonna sit lower. Just folow this thread
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115016&page=3 post #68 and up

1 - 20 of 45 Posts