BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car dropped about a week ago using H&R springs. Car looks great...but I have a noise originating from the front of the car...sort of sounds like the springs are wobbling against the stops if that makes any sense. If I am on a flat surface its fine...but the slightest uneven surface in the road or bump and the noise becomes prominent. The shop that installed the springs tried retightening the screws where the EDC fits in the front and that seemed to help for about 30 mins...then the noise came back. Shop also showed me how the H&R springs have a round shape to them where as the factory springs are almost egg shaped (In the front) and thought this might be contributing to the issue (due to fit?). Shop tried to call H&R but apprently did not get much help....I saw a thread on here that seemed to indicate other have had similar issues but no solutions.

Any ideas are welcome...its diving me nuts!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have H&R's and don't have this issue. It could be how they seated the bottom of the spring into the rubber gasket. If that thing is all boogered up (technical term), then I could see the springs moving around a bit. Otherwise, unless it's a loose suspension component, I seriously doubt it's the springs you're hearing.

My recommendation would be to jack the car up and just check the torque on the front suspension components.

Good luck -- keep us updated.

Brad

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
You need to do alignment

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for weighing in Evilb...The rubber gasket actually looked clean...the spring doesnt fit all the way down to the end of the rubber gasket but apparently neither does the stock spring. I got the alignment done too...I dont know what is wrong :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe...You have given me hope brother! I will have the shop put it back on the lift and recheck the washers..Will report back!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
...Shop also showed me how the H&R springs have a round shape to them where as the factory springs are almost egg shaped (In the front) and thought this might be contributing to the issue (due to fit?).
The top of coil of the spring is circular, and will fit the top perch in any orientation.

The bottom coil is oblong, to match the shape of the bottom perch.
This is true on OEM, Eibach and Dinan springs (I have not seen H&R).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts