BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Eibach is on a nationwide backorder right now, and I need springs within the next few weeks for when my 20" wheels will be ready. I've searched and read countless threads on the comparison of the two brands, but it seems hard to find concrete information on if the H&R's are really that much stiffer than the Eibachs. I've also read complaints of the H&R's "sagging over time" but I'm curious as to how "sagging" and "over time" are really defined. Do the springs drop another .25" or .5" over 2 years, 4 years, 6 years?

I love the idea of the car sitting slightly lower with the H&R's, and Turner Motorsports is running a special on them this month.

To revive old discussions and beat a dead horse... current thoughts from anyone on this issue?

Thanks,
Brad

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Yes they are. From the most stiff to the least:

- H&R
- Eibach
- DINAN Stage II

I had Eibach, then I went and got DINAN Stage II. Both are great, I like DINAN more though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My close group of friends happen to include 3 M5's. One has Dinan, one has eibach, and mine has H&R springs.

We all rode in eachothers cars back to back and the consensus was that my car was no stiffer or bumpier than their cars. The consensus also was that my drop looked the best, and that they wish they had gone H&R.

I truly doubt most of the people on here that claim these "noticable" differences in ride quality have ridden in all three cars back to back like we have, over the same segment of roads, with three people (all having bought different products, making it unbiased). BUT this is just my opinion.

ANSWER: Buy the H&R's, you won't regret it.

Good Luck! :cheers:

Reactions: aminewyork and bsze

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Put it this way, I have Eibach's and wouldn't want to go any stiffer...at ALL. It's a mid-size sedan and I wanted to retain at least some comfort.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Put it this way, I have Eibach's and wouldn't want to go any stiffer...at ALL. It's a mid-size sedan and I wanted to retain at least some comfort.
Exactly.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Put it this way, I have H&R's and wouldn't want to go any softer...at ALL. It's a high performance sedan and I wanted to it to drive like one.

car should of came from the facotry with the H&R's. it handles great and its not bumpy at all, my wife always complained about my previous cars being bumpy (MKV GTI, Volvo S60R, Honda Prelude) and she finds my M5 with H&R comfortable. If I wanted anything softer, I go buy a Cadillac STS. lol

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
i'm leaning on the H&R side because i prefer my ride to be a little firmer and stiffer. i came from an e36 m3 and acura tl-s where their suspension was way stiffer. i've heard a lot of good things about H&R so far.

question is, those that have H&R springs, are you still using your stock shocks??

Reactions: bsze

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Put it this way, I have H&R's and wouldn't want to go any softer...at ALL. It's a high performance sedan and I wanted to it to drive like one.

car should of came from the facotry with the H&R's. it handles great and its not bumpy at all, my wife always complained about my previous cars being bumpy (MKV GTI, Volvo S60R, Honda Prelude) and she finds my M5 with H&R comfortable. If I wanted anything softer, I go buy a Cadillac STS. lol
It's a subjective debate, if you want a firm M3 type ride, then ok. The roads in the Northeast aren't exactly great, so going with the firmest spring for an extra .15" of drop in the front just isn't worth it.

Also, they don't make the STS anymore.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
It's a subjective debate, if you want a firm M3 type ride, then ok. The roads in the Northeast aren't exactly great, so going with the firmest spring for an extra .15" of drop in the front just isn't worth it.

Also, they don't make the STS anymore.
i dont find the h&r springs hard at all, even if u compare it to a m3.

yeah they also dont make the STS anymore, but u can always get a used one. Wait, BMW also dont make the E60 M5 no more, so whats your point?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
i dont find the h&r springs hard at all, even if u compare it to a m3.

yeah they also dont make the STS anymore, but u can always get a used one. Wait, BMW also dont make the E60 M5 no more, so whats your point?
If you're coming from boy racer cars, you probably won't find them stiff. If you desire some comfort and luxury, they are stiff. The Eibach's are right on the line for me. They removed the dreaded reverse rake while still maintaining an acceptable level of comfort for me.

Besides, if the H&R are too stiff, then set EDC to no bars. That should help.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
This thing you guys talking about that the springs will wear on the stock shocks...how bad is it? I´ve never seen anybody saying that they have a problem with that...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
If you're coming from boy racer cars, you probably won't find them stiff. If you desire some comfort and luxury, they are stiff. The Eibach's are right on the line for me. They removed the dreaded reverse rake while still maintaining an acceptable level of comfort for me.

Besides, if the H&R are too stiff, then set EDC to no bars. That should help.
I came from a Volvo S60R, dont think that is anything boy racer.:confused2 This topic is really personal prefernce, just like how some ppl can stand the drone on the eisenmann race, while some cant.

I really think that if u are crusing around and just wants your car lowered, the eibachs are perfect. if u want love to drive in twisties and love taking hard corners and want a car that handles well, the h&r's is your choice. To top it off, if u want to track your car and want it to handle like a lambo, get the KW V3.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My close group of friends happen to include 3 M5's. One has Dinan, one has eibach, and mine has H&R springs.

We all rode in eachothers cars back to back and the consensus was that my car was no stiffer or bumpier than their cars. The consensus also was that my drop looked the best, and that they wish they had gone H&R.

I truly doubt most of the people on here that claim these "noticable" differences in ride quality have ridden in all three cars back to back like we have, over the same segment of roads, with three people (all having bought different products, making it unbiased). BUT this is just my opinion.

ANSWER: Buy the H&R's, you won't regret it.
avlynch, everyone, thanks for the responses. I know this is a pretty subjective question but not nearly as bad as the "Which exhaust sounds the best?" one.

My previous cars were a 2000 Audi S4 w/ H&R coilovers and 19's, a 2006 Porsche Cayman S, a 2007 Audi RS4, and now the M5. I doubt the M5 with H&R's will be nearly as stiff as the coilovers on my S4. That being said, driving on the roads in Wilmington NC (aside from a select few, new ones) isn't too far removed from what it would feel like to drive your car on the surface of the moon. On some roads, it feels like they used them to test the blasts from hand grenades.

On stock 19's with EDC on full sport, the M5 feels pretty damn bumpy. I'm assuming that EDC on full sport w/ ANY aftermarket spring will feel like I'm driving inside of a washing machine.

I think I'm just going to say screw it and pick up the H&R's. If I don't like them I'll end up biting the bullet and getting KW V3's... wouldn't be many other options besides that.

Thanks again guys,
Brad

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I have H&R and turn the EDC to no lights on and it feels great. Even my wife and kids feel ok in the car, never heard a complaint from them yet.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
H&R here and I agree with people who have been saying in other threads that it feels like one setting stiffer on EDC. So with EDC lights off, it feels like the stock middle setting and I have had no issues there. Just like ACG I have had wife and kids in the car with no complaints. I usually go one or no lights. Two lights is pretty damn stiff and I don't use it much.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I only use the one or two EDC lights when I am racing :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
it would help me out if i can get lowering springs, 12mm spacers and extended lug bolts from one place.
I have only found one, Turner Motorsport, H&R springs/spacer and black lug bolts. I like this idea cus i dont like to mix n match brands!
Does anyone know if there's a place i can get Eibach springs/spacers n black lug bolts?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I came from a Volvo S60R, dont think that is anything boy racer.:confused2 This topic is really personal prefernce, just like how some ppl can stand the drone on the eisenmann race, while some cant.

I really think that if u are crusing around and just wants your car lowered, the eibachs are perfect. if u want love to drive in twisties and love taking hard corners and want a car that handles well, the h&r's is your choice. To top it off, if u want to track your car and want it to handle like a lambo, get the KW V3.
I would go with h & R thats what I am leaning towards for the upcoming season.
but if you really want a nice set of suspension.....
get penske, or Ohlins.... kw are nice but they have a "plastic" made top spring perch.. not too impressed with that. my friends r32 had v3's and the spring perch in the front broke from hard braking and acceleration. and they use the same type of materials throughout their whole line.
let me be clear: I am not bashing anything. Just stating my history with kw.

and Penske, and Ohlins is seriously the best I dont think there is any arguing that.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I went with Eibachs and love them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts