BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are already threads on this, so Admins, feel free to merge if you see fit.

Here are my stats for the H&R Sport lowering springs. All measurements are from the ground to the top of wheel well, taken at the center of the wheel.

Before
Front Driver Side: 28.0625"
Front Passenger Side: 27.9375"
Rear Driver Side: 27.1875"
Rear Passenger Side: 27.9375"

After
Front Driver Side: 26.625"
Front Passenger Side: 26.5625"
Rear Driver Side: 26.8125"
Rear Passenger Side: 26.75"

Difference
Front Driver Side: 1.4375"
Front Passenger Side: 1.375"
Rear Driver Side: 0.375"
Rear Passenger Side: 0.375"

I waited until about 250 miles after installation to take the "After" measurements so the springs would have some time to settle in.

As you can see, the front is the most dramatic difference. Overall, the car looks much better. The ride quality is virtually unchanged in my opinion. I haven't driven enough to comment on improved handling, but I imagine that the lower center of gravity will slightly improve cornering and the dramatically lower front will improve turn-in.

I had my installation done at EvoSport in Huntington Beach. They did a good job. Their advice was to wait for at least a couple hundred miles before doing alignment so that the springs can settle in.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beamer_usa said:
Nice work! much more aggressive stance. How much harsher is the ride?
In comfort mode, there is no perceptible difference in ride, IMO. EDC II feels a slight bit stiffer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
How long did the shop kept your car for the install?

Thanks for the great FYI! How long did it take them for install? What I mean is, how long did they have your car in the shop? I'm from Las Vegas & I'm thinking of having them do the install as well. I want to plan accordingly & make a weekend out of it. Thanks once again for everything. If you have not already done so, I feel like you're starting to develop a rep on providing good/solid very helpful tips/info's.

Patrick

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have had a set on order since Decmber from Turner. They still haven't arrived.

What did you pay for the installation? My guy won't commit to a number. He says he needs to see how long it takes. Anywhere from $500-800 for the installation and alignment. Sound right?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Great post! I'll hopefully be getting mine in the end of this week, and I'll take some Pics and measurements. Not to be too nitpicky, but was you gas tank at the same level for both measurements? I think the rear measurement could be slightly affected.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Excellent write-up. How long and how much for the install?
Anybody know of any Canadian distributors/installers (Toronto area)?

Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
brucewil said:
I have had a set on order since Decmber from Turner. They still haven't arrived.

What did you pay for the installation? My guy won't commit to a number. He says he needs to see how long it takes. Anywhere from $500-800 for the installation and alignment. Sound right?
I had mine air-freighted, so that added $150 to the cost of the springs. As far as installation goes, I paid on the higher end of your range, but I think you can get it done on the lower end. Be sure to wait a couple hundred miles before doing your alignment.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wolverine said:
was you gas tank at the same level for both measurements?
Full tank on before measurements, 3/4 tank on after measurements. Shouldn't affect measurements too much, if at all. Roughly 4 gallons - should be under 30 pounds.

·
Registered
227 Posts
One quick question, does installing the lowering springs shorten the lifetime of the dampers? I drive on pretty bumpy roads regularly, and wouldn't want to have to get new dampers every 20k or so

Thanks a lot for this informative post.

·
Banned
146 Posts
Hey Bruce,

Good News your springs are shipping today !

-Will

·
Banned
146 Posts
Yup !

-Will

·
Registered
477 Posts
willturner said:
Yup !

-Will
YEA BABY!! :biggrinbounce:

Thanks Will.

BTW, the dealer wanted to charge me $160 an hour for 12.4 hours to install them. AAAGGGHHH!!! :eek:oohhh: My first BMW so I have no idea where else to take it and I'm afraid to just take it somewhere and roll the dice. I've got a good friend of mine that is a mechanic and I'm not exactly a virgin when it comes to turning wrenches. I'm half tempted to invite my buddy over, put the car on the lift and make a day of it.

Otherwise, anyone know of an experienced shop in this area that you'd trust your baby with?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts