BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, so I'll answer the usual newbie question, yes I did search first ;)

I couldn't find a conclusive answer to the clearance question that came up on H&R's fitment notes for the coilover setup:

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=265 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=headline align=left></TD><TD class=headline align=left>Footnote </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>13 </TD><TD align=left>Wheel offset critical; Spacers may be required when the standard wheel / tire combination is used. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I am using the stock front and rear M5 wheels with stock tire size. Will I need spacers to avoid rubbing? If so what size front and rear?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am not sure how fitment is on the m5 but on my 540i when I installed the H&R coilovers I need to run at least a 12mm spacer (wheels offset ET20) and to slam it I needed to run a 15mm spacer.
I have extra hubcentric spacers if you need both 12mm and 15mm. Just PM or Email me

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I don't think it was necessary to run spacers on my set up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
cramer said:
First post here, so I'll answer the usual newbie question, yes

I am using the stock front and rear M5 wheels with stock tire size. Will I need spacers to avoid rubbing? If so what size front and rear?

Thanks for the help.
I just installed H&R on mine, and did not need any spacers, if I remember correct, mine is now lowered 90mm in front and 45 rear. I use 19" BBS LM

One thing you should know, that this setup is extremely hard, and I don't think it's for everyone. I like it, but i'm not quite sure yet, and i've asked the workshop to keep the original dampeners/springs so that i might put them back on during winter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it looks like both of you are running LM's with the coilovers and no spacers. What width and offset are you using?

I have read they are a bit harsh, which should be ok, rather not bottom out the car with 4 people in it... and they can't be as harsh as the H&R RSS track coilovers I have on my E30 M3 ;)

thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
159 Posts
cramer said:
So it looks like both of you are running LM's with the coilovers and no spacers. What width and offset are you using?

I have read they are a bit harsh, which should be ok, rather not bottom out the car with 4 people in it... and they can't be as harsh as the H&R RSS track coilovers I have on my E30 M3 ;)

thanks for the replies!
Ive got the oem rears on all for corners and I had to put 10mm spacers on the front. I also have the ground control camber plates so that might have made a difference.
Boz

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
cramer said:
First post here, so I'll answer the usual newbie question, yes I did search first ;)

I couldn't find a conclusive answer to the clearance question that came up on H&R's fitment notes for the coilover setup:

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=265 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=headline align=left></TD><TD class=headline align=left>Footnote </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>13 </TD><TD align=left>Wheel offset critical; Spacers may be required when the standard wheel / tire combination is used. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks for the help.
I think it's a function of ride height desired. If you run ride heights near stock, they likely fit great. If you run slammed ride height, spacers will likely be necessary. I believe this is the same kit that 540i slammers are complaining about on roadfly. Some of them have resorted to 10-12mm spacers in front to get the car slammed where they want it, although this is not using the M5 front wheel. The spring perch drops down adjacent to the tire sidewall when lower heights are dialed in.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bringing back an old topic with an answer for people searching in the future.

I got around to installing the H&R coilovers and no spacer was required for the front. The car would have to be lowered until the top the tire tucked inside the wheel well before requiring a spacer. I put on a 10mm spacer to test it for clearance (I'll end up keeping the 10mm spacer on to push the front wheels out) at the lowest setting and it gave plenty of room between the wheel and spring.

·
Registered
159 Posts
cramer said:
bringing back an old topic with an answer for people searching in the future.

I got around to installing the H&R coilovers and no spacer was required for the front. The car would have to be lowered until the top the tire tucked inside the wheel well before requiring a spacer. I put on a 10mm spacer to test it for clearance (I'll end up keeping the 10mm spacer on to push the front wheels out) at the lowest setting and it gave plenty of room between the wheel and spring.
Did you put on any camber plates? Also whats your opinion on how it handles and ride comfort?
Boz

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
cramer said:

thanks for the replies!
BBS LM 19x8.5 - BMW 5x120, et17
BBS LM 19x10 - BMW 5x120, et25

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boz M5 said:
Did you put on any camber plates? Also whats your opinion on how it handles and ride comfort?
Boz
no camber plates.

As it's been stated before, H&R rides firm. I'm waiting to see if they will soften up a bit, if not i'm going to adjust the ride height to see if that changes it. I'm accustomed to the H&R RSS track coilovers on my E30 M3 and this rides almost as stiff... kinda funny for such a big, heavy car ;)

Handling is night and day, not more rolling side to side... but I did find a broken rear sway bracket so I haven't pushed the car that hard yet until the upgraded brackets get installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts