BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

H-Pipe VS X-Pipe

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  mottati 
#1 ·
The mass M5 owner opts for the SuperSprint X-pipe but has anyone tried a H-Pipe on their exhaust system?

"An H pipe gets its name because there is a piece of pipe that connects each side of the pipe that connects to the header collectors (hence the name H pipe). This pipe is supposed to help equalize the pressure and thereby create a better scavenging effect. An X pipe however, has each side of the pipe meet in an X type junction. Again the idea is to equalize pressure and create better scavenging. As a general rule, H pipes allow for more low-end torque and slightly less Horse Power than X pipes do. Also, the sound note is quite different. The X pipe has a raspy sound while the H pipe is more “muscle car” sounding. As mentioned, the mid-pipe choice seems to be a personal sound preference and most people who use chambered mufflers opt for the H pipe, while the straight through users tend to choose the X pipe. Typically, the X pipe/straight through muffler combination yields higher HP and lower torque than the H pipe/chambered muffler design. "

#2 ·
I have always heard that the x-pipe is merely an evolution from the h-pipe. It, in theory, accomplishes the exact same thing, but the x-pipe just does it that much more efficiently. I actually read that on this messageboard many years ago. I would run a search about the topic.

'Rocket

#4 ·
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
the E46 m3 has an hpipe in the stock piping..and let me tell you, it does jack for sound.
Definitely have to agree with that one... hiha

#5 ·
The stock M5 exhaust utilizes an H-pipe design as well. located between the cats and the resonators. I would think that flow would be better thru an x-pipe design but it makes one think about back pressure and whether an h-pipe is designed to provide that balance of back pressure/free flowing air? I do believe the xpipe improves sound quality tho.

al

#6 · (Edited)
From all the M5 exhaust sound samples available I have to agree that the X-pipe adds a "raspy" sound to the exhaust........I can only speak from a previous H-pipe setup on a 302 5.0L engine and it does sound deeper and "mean" ........we'll see how it sounds on the M5....
2000 BMW M5 Avus Blue/Blk. K&N, Royal Purple Racing 51, RP Synchromax, RP Gear-MAX, Redesigned SPEC Billet Stg1 Racing Clutch kit, Lightened Dual Mass flywheel, Rogue Tranny mounts, S03's, ATE Super Blue, Redline WaterWetter, Blinder M20, BEL RX65, 6% SolarGard Titanium, XM, 12inch Rockford Fosgate Sub, PIAA fogs, Invinca-Shield.com
1991 PORSCHE 911 TURBO Blk/Blk. RUF MODIFIED 375RWHP+ 75HP NOS. 200+MPH Street/Race car. K&N, Garettson Intercooler, KKK K29 Turbo, HKS AIC with 7th injector, Full RUF racing coilover suspension, RUF sway bars, SC CAM, DIFF upgrade, B&B headers and muffler, GT2 Adjustable Wing, 3.3L upgraded to 3.5L, Roll Cage, Alpine V12 upgraded sound system, Royal Purple Racing 51 oil, Boost and air/fuel gauges, Big Red Break upgrade, Crossed drilled rotors, Tiresmart, fire extinguisher, 5 point racing harness, Stage 2 HID, no CAT, 18inch RUF Polished Rims, S03's. Obtained fastest lap times in the 90's driven by Al Unser Jr....
1988 VW Jetta Rare "Slalom" Edition wht/gray. K&N, NEUSPEED suspension, MOMO steering/shifter, Euro GTI headlights and bumpers.
2004 VOLVO XC90 AWD 2.5 TURBO wht/blk. K&N
<!-- / sig -->

#7 ·
#8 ·
#10 ·
bmwusa said:
It shouldnt take too long for you to get this all fabbed up, I am looking forward to hearing your setup, Im sure you will, but try and document "photos " of each step if the shop doesnt mind, Im interested in how all this works out, Josh
The DYNOMAX SUPERTURBOS(17784) 2.5" have been ordered......pictures and sound to follow.....

#12 ·
marcvip said:
The DYNOMAX SUPERTURBOS(17784) 2.5" have been ordered......pictures and sound to follow.....
turbo's and an H pipe, really curious to hear how it sounds, probably great. (i used those mufflers on my 67 gto when i was in highschool!)
Keep us posted.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.