BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Searched and read many threads on this, but please help and offer some advice. My '06 has but 16k on it but is out of warranty as of two months ago :sad3: My choices are narrowed to two:

EasyCare - 2yr/24k miles $3800 exclusionary coverage, $250 ded, and does cover the SMG pump and Navi.

BMW Powertrain Plus - 2yr/24k miles $2900, $50 ded, covers major drivetrain (including SMG) and electrical, but not SMG pump or Navi.

Most people here are saying get a warranty that covers SMG. Well the BMW plan does, but isn't it the pump that is most prone to fail not the trans? Does anyone know what the leading cause of the RCOD is? Pump, clutch, software??

The advantages of the BMW plan are obvious - backed by BMW, roadside, $50 deductible, only BMW parts, no hassles on stated coverage, bought at my dealer so they may be 'better' with covering things on my car. I worry about other 3rd party warranties who make up every excuse not to pay, take time to send adjusters out, etc. I did have EasyCare on my Cobra and for the one claim they were good. A quick phone call and they verified coverage (I think it was the backlighting on my instrument cluster). Seems like EasyCare IS offered by some BMW dealers, so I feel more at ease about that but I don't need MY dealer breaking my balls because I didn't purchase PTP from them.

Lastly, the finance manager said in the past 3 months he's had 3 M5's in for engine rebuilds due to valve issues on the S85? Is he trying to put the scare into me or what?? I don't want to drive my car like an 80 year old woman because I have no warranty so I need to make a decision soon!! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Couple of thoughts..
RE EasyCare, I assume you are saying the coverage span is 2yrs or 24k miles driven from the day you purchase the plan (ie if you buy it today, it’s 2yrs or 36k on the odo), if that is the case then that is such a short term coverage, don’t they have plans that span longer? At least that increases the probability of utilizing that money in claims.

Additionally, I personally would prefer having coverage on the navi as well if I am spending that much money (~4k is about 10% of the car's market value so the coverage better outstanding)

Please keep us posted. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple of thoughts..
RE EasyCare, I assume you are saying the coverage span is 2yrs or 24k miles driven from the day you purchase the plan (ie if you buy it today, it’s 2yrs or 36k on the odo), if that is the case then that is such a short term coverage, don’t they have plans that span longer? At least that increases the probability of utilizing that money in claims.

Additionally, I personally would prefer having coverage on the navi as well if I am spending that much money (~4k is about 10% of the car's market value so the coverage better outstanding)

Please keep us posted. Good luck!
Thank you - I am still torn. Yes it is 24k total miles, so 36 on the odo. The reason I'm not going longer is because I don't know the likelihood of having it beyond two years and the price for the 3yr is like 4900!!! The extra money on the EasyCare is offset by the sheer amount of stuff they cover (have it in writing that the SMG pump is covered). But don't want to be a red-headed stepchild in the eyes of my dealer (BMW of Bridgeport).

Thoughts on having the SMG covered vs the SMG pump???

·
Registered
312 Posts
Have you looked at FidelityWarrantyServices.com? I bought from Bruce quite some time ago, when mine had only 25k odo. Their best exclusive terms 6yr/100k (125k odo, not sure about the 6 yrs part) zero deductible only a bit more than $4k. Recently had one claim w/o problem. The BMW dealer I went to tried to sell me the same warranty before BMWNA offered their own, at more premium price, of course.
2yr/24k for more than $2k does not look appealing.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Have you looked at FidelityWarrantyServices.com? I bought from Bruce quite some time ago, when mine had only 25k odo. Their best exclusive terms 6yr/100k (125k odo, not sure about the 6 yrs part) zero deductible only a bit more than $4k. Recently had one claim w/o problem. The BMW dealer I went to tried to sell me the same warranty before BMWNA offered their own, at more premium price, of course.
2yr/24k for more than $2k does not look appealing.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How are they with labor rates? Do they pay only a percentage or is whatever BMW deems is appropriate for the job?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Searched and read many threads on this, but please help and offer some advice. My '06 has but 16k on it but is out of warranty as of two months ago :sad3: My choices are narrowed to two:

EasyCare - 2yr/24k miles $3800 exclusionary coverage, $250 ded, and does cover the SMG pump and Navi.

BMW Powertrain Plus - 2yr/24k miles $2900, $50 ded, covers major drivetrain (including SMG) and electrical, but not SMG pump or Navi.

Most people here are saying get a warranty that covers SMG. Well the BMW plan does, but isn't it the pump that is most prone to fail not the trans? Does anyone know what the leading cause of the RCOD is? Pump, clutch, software??

The advantages of the BMW plan are obvious - backed by BMW, roadside, $50 deductible, only BMW parts, no hassles on stated coverage, bought at my dealer so they may be 'better' with covering things on my car. I worry about other 3rd party warranties who make up every excuse not to pay, take time to send adjusters out, etc. I did have EasyCare on my Cobra and for the one claim they were good. A quick phone call and they verified coverage (I think it was the backlighting on my instrument cluster). Seems like EasyCare IS offered by some BMW dealers, so I feel more at ease about that but I don't need MY dealer breaking my balls because I didn't purchase PTP from them.

Lastly, the finance manager said in the past 3 months he's had 3 M5's in for engine rebuilds due to valve issues on the S85? Is he trying to put the scare into me or what?? I don't want to drive my car like an 80 year old woman because I have no warranty so I need to make a decision soon!! Thanks for your help!
Those rates are way too high!

fidelity should have better rates with 0 ded.

sidemarker

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those rates are way too high!

fidelity should have better rates with 0 ded.

sidemarker
I'm starting to lean towards the BMW powertrain plus. I really don't want to deal with some sleazebag trying to justify why something isn't covered when it breaks, or not paying diagnostics, or insisting that a job takes half of what BMW recommends time-wise. Plus the BMW plan will cover the hydraulic smg pump, engine, trans and vanos...i'm going with that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Try this thread.
Fidelity sent out an adjuster/inspector to work with an independent shop of my choice. Don't know whether dealership's rate will be fully honored but I think that's the adjuster's job. They also pay $30 per day for up to 3 days while the car sits in the shop waiting for the adjuster.
The exclusive warranty means that they write out specifically what's not covered. Everything else should be covered. I think SMG pump should be covered.
Also I think at 16k+24k=40k, it is still too early to develop any SMG issue unless extremely unlucky. I would shop around and find at least a 50k or 75k term.

Mine is almost 60k and only problem was the AC compressor under Texas sun!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Be sure to look at Zurich. Tons of threads and owners that have gone with them. I went with them and they cover everything except standard wear and tear items. I really enjoy the peace of mind with them.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try this thread.
Fidelity sent out an adjuster/inspector to work with an independent shop of my choice. Don't know whether dealership's rate will be fully honored but I think that's the adjuster's job. They also pay $30 per day for up to 3 days while the car sits in the shop waiting for the adjuster.
The exclusive warranty means that they write out specifically what's not covered. Everything else should be covered. I think SMG pump should be covered.
Also I think at 16k+24k=40k, it is still too early to develop any SMG issue unless extremely unlucky. I would shop around and find at least a 50k or 75k term.

Mine is almost 60k and only problem was the AC compressor under Texas sun!
See posts like yours make me think I may be entering a real sucker's bet, but peace of mind so that I don't have to drive like an old lady are worth it.

And RE Vishaal's Zurich warranty, didn't he just say that he's no longer offering them because the rates were too high? This is why I've elminated Zurich to this point.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I really don't want to deal with some sleazebag trying to justify why something isn't covered when it breaks, or not paying diagnostics, or insisting that a job takes half of what BMW recommends time-wise. Plus the BMW plan will cover the hydraulic smg pump, engine, trans and vanos...i'm going with that.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" Name="footnote text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> +1 That’s exactly how I feel, last thing I need when ‘stuff’ hits the fan is the adjuster denying the claim because his wife just ruined his get-together-with-the-buddies plan to watch a ball game because she needs to comfort her best friend who just broke up with the boyfriend..

Nice thought about BMW powertrain plus! I will look into that myself. Extended warranty is the only thing still holding me from diving in..

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1 That’s exactly how I feel, last thing I need when ‘stuff’ hits the fan is the adjuster denying the claim because his wife just ruined his get-together-with-the-buddies plan to watch a ball game because she needs to comfort her best friend who just broke up with the boyfriend..

Nice thought about BMW powertrain plus! I will look into that myself. Extended warranty is the only thing still holding me from diving in..
Keep in mind that PTP from BMW is for those out of factory warranty. Your options increase if you still have factory warranty left. All come with standard roadside service and BMW $50 ded. Also doesn't hurt that your throwing your dealership some money so when it comes time to cover/good will/hook you up, they may be more inclined to do you a favor here and there. Hell even a couple litres of 10W-60 here and there would be cool.

See I can deal with a window regulator, or switch, or something like that...but major drivetrain, software programming/updates - THAT is what I want covered.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
There are different levels of the BMW warranty (sliver, gold and platinum, I think) and the highest level covers the Navi and the sound system. That is what I wnet for. It was painful though. Over 8K all in for 6yr/100K (total not additional) extended warranty and extended maintenance. Could I have save a grand or so putzing around with 3rd party providers? Perhaps, but when I bought this car, I figured I would drive it 5-6 years and I planned on the 8K payment at the end of the fourth year as part of my overall cost. What I want is to be able to drive the car at a fixed price and know that I can drop it off at my SA (who is great by the way) and have any issues addressed without any hassle or involvement on my end.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are different levels of the BMW warranty (sliver, gold and platinum, I think) and the highest level covers the Navi and the sound system. That is what I wnet for. It was painful though. Over 8K all in for 6yr/100K (total not additional) extended warranty and extended maintenance. Could I have save a grand or so putzing around with 3rd party providers? Perhaps, but when I bought this car, I figured I would drive it 5-6 years and I planned on the 8K payment at the end of the fourth year as part of my overall cost. What I want is to be able to drive the car at a fixed price and know that I can drop it off at my SA (who is great by the way) and have any issues addressed without any hassle or involvement on my end.
I feel you get what you pay for. You may not use the 8k, but to drive that car with no worries/cost is a great feeling...to drive it like it was meant to be driven. This does not mean beating the ever living hell out of it, but in a spirited way with confidence.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just checked the BMW's Powertrain Plus and it is limited to 1yr/12kmiles, 2yrs/24k miles or 3yr/36k miles. Unless it's is at a very 'reasonable' price, i feel the coverage span is very short. :mad:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just checked the BMW's Powertrain Plus and it is limited to 1yr/12kmiles, 2yrs/24k miles or 3yr/36k miles. Unless it's is at a very 'reasonable' price, i feel the coverage span is very short. :mad:
Yep that is correct...prices are 2k for 1yr, 3k for 2 yr and 4k for 3 yr - at least that's what I was quoted. You have to just think of what happens if you pop that S85...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Service manager just called and indicated that the SMG Pump is NOT covered under the BMW PTP warranty. So that has significantly swayed my vote to Easy Care.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Service manager just called and indicated that the SMG Pump is NOT covered under the BMW PTP warranty. So that has significantly swayed my vote to Easy Care.
Easy Care now moving into 2nd place behind the new front runner, Fidelity. Just had a nice conversation with Bruce from Beck's Imports who gave me the low down + a sample exclusionary platinum warranty from Fidelity (covers SMG Pump, Vanos, Navi + lots more). Says they are the preferred provider for Audi extended service contracts and owned by Southeast Toyota...anyone want to chime in on their personal experience with Bruce and Fidelity?

One downside is no financing. Slim margins means he needs the $ up front.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts