BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
folks like me don't accidently post on them and ruffle any feathers. I think this has been an issue on this board occasionally in the past. We are a worldwide community, but sometimes certain threads become very localized and tend to ignore any "outsiders" who might post on them. I suggest that if people who want to keep things private or not open to others on the board either make that known upfront or take it off the board. And I guess if you don't like me posting postive/silly things on one of your threads then just ignore me.

Anita

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
Anita said:
folks like me don't accidently post on them and ruffle any feathers. I think this has been an issue on this board occasionally in the past. We are a worldwide community, but sometimes certain threads become very localized and tend to ignore any "outsiders" who might post on them. I suggest that if people who want to keep things private or not open to others on the board either make that known upfront or take it off the board. And I guess if you don't like me posting postive/silly things on one of your threads then just ignore me.

Anita
You mean people have actually been paying attention to you all this time?? hiha hiha cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi, Anita:

I am not familiar with the thread/threads to which you refer, but it is unfortunate that the relative anonymity of the internet allows common courtesy and civility to be overlooked so easily at times. I hope it does not dampen your enthusiasm and curtail your participation on the board.

:cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Anita,

I too don´t know what threads and what people you are refering to, but let me say this: I enjoy your posts, and I have yet to see a single post by you that is not a good contribution to this board. Don´t let anyone push you aside! IMHO if anyone doesn´t appreciate your prescence, Anita, may that person sod off!

David

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
DavidS said:
Anita,

I too don´t know what threads and what people you are refering to, but let me say this: I enjoy your posts, and I have yet to see a single post by you that is not a good contribution to this board.

David
I'm clueless on this one too. But who could ignore Anita... :eek: hiha ;)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Ag02M5 said:
I posted a comment on the Houston Paint thread that was meant to be funny. Didn't put a smiley face so taken wrong way.

No worries here.

R
This sort of thing happens all the time. If somebody posts a comment on my thread or in response to me that was meant to be funny, and I took it as, for instance, an insult, I'd probably just brush it off or PM the person and ask them to clarify. The internet is a dangerous place. Without inflection and non-verbal communication, people will "hear" things differently than you intended.

Anita, I've never seen you post anything that could be considered anything other than stand-up. (not "stand-up" as in stand-up comedy, stand-up as in "proper" or "appropriate"). Although some of your posts are stand-up, too :haha:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I think that if people want to post on the forum they should make it accessable and invite others to input. where it is between two there is a private e-mail for that, this is how I have operated in the past where I have stood my ground on issues that warranted a response outside the wider format.

:) :rolleyes: :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Anita,
I have not been following all the threads here that closely lately (a little vacation time last week + a busy work schedule) but I can say that whenever I've read your posts I've always either been informed or entertained or both. If something comes up that bothers you in the future, I hope you will bring it to the moderators' & administrators' attention.

As to private threads, that concept has to be a call by Gustav. I understand why you might be in favor of it, but I am not. I enjoy the open nature of the forums and, like you say, that's what PMs and emails are for.

Please keep making those great posts. :typing: :M5launch: :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input (and support) on this. There is no one person to blame---just the way the internet is, as you all have noted. It's especially hard if you have never gotten any responses ever from particular individuals and the first ones you do get are a bit hard to interpret. I try to always take a positive spin on what is posted, but I guess I missed the humor in these (or did I ??? HA HA HA--kidding kidding).

Maybe be a little more aware we are part of what appears sometimes to be an invisible community (I'm including myself here BTW :1:) I vow less bad jokes, etc :1: :1: :1:

Anita

gsfent said:
You mean people have actually been paying attention to you all this time?? hiha hiha cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry
HA HA Yeah, yeah, me and my swelled head!!! Now Jerry, watch out!! I'm probably going to be down in Miami again this winter so I can get you in person!!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Re: Gustav-Can We Have Private Threads For Certain Individuals/Groups On This Board S

I think I'll just add a :D to my Signature... That way none of my posts will ever be taken seriously. As if.

(oh, except the one about handling airbags... yeah, don't get blown up. :nono: yo.)

ouich

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
Anita said:
HA HA Yeah, yeah, me and my swelled head!!! Now Jerry, watch out!! I'm probably going to be down in Miami again this winter so I can get you in person!!
Good, let me know the dates, maybe we can work in a track day!! :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Re: Gustav-Can We Have Private Threads For Certain Individuals/Groups On This Board S

Text based exchanges are really tough, as a sarcastic but humorous comment can be taken as an attack etc. This board usually does a good job of keeping that in check, but it happens.
Now, some of us are really rude Anita, but mostly because we cant go to Oshkosh...hiha

·
Registered
2,230 Posts

BmwNut said:
Text based exchanges are really tough, as a sarcastic but humorous comment can be taken as an attack etc. This board usually does a good job of keeping that in check, but it happens.
Now, some of us are really rude Anita, but mostly because we cant go to Oshkosh...hiha

Sorry to hear about you feeling this Anita. I hope you won¨t turn away from us now.

there is apart from the absence of pysical closeness also the problem, that as a international community there are those of us who don't speak English as a mother toung and we might sometimes make "weird" comments because of this. But IMHO there needs to be also humour, I think not so many of us would frequent here if it was only hard facts and furious debate ;)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
gsfent said:
Regards,
Jerry
Of Course, Anita is far too annoying to ignore. :hihi: (Yes I am kidding.) :7:

Variety is the Spice of life. Don't change for anyone. cherrsagai

Regards MJ

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

I'm confused about what this is all about. Does this have anything to do with Deep Throat?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

a_ok2me said:
I'm confused about what this is all about. Does this have anything to do with Deep Throat?
:eek: :eek: What kind of board is this?? Just joking bud, but I really have no clue what is going on...

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

a_ok2me said:
OK you and Bmwnut come closer and I'll fill you in (I'll even give you both a secret decoder ring)--I think you might find it rather boring though :biggrin:

First you gotta know a liitle bit about me and my history on the board-OK wake up and quit yawning!!! zzzzz

MY BOARD STORY (SO FAR!!!)

And I'm sure there are many, many folks out here with similar stories. When you've been around a while you get a history.

OK when I first joined the board, I would try to answer as best I could all posts, PM's etc. And I would try to PM folks with follow-up answers, to make sure I hadn't offended someone with a post, etc. And tried to be helpful, you know, a good member!

So since Oct '02 when I first joined, I've traveled hundreds of miles to do multiple drives and meets. I went out to California for a couple of days to meet up with M5'ers at the Concorso there, linked up with a member in FL and actually when in Australia arranged to go across the harbor from Sydney to meet a board member there! I've met with a board member's BIL who lives in town, linked up with multiple members at the various tracks I race at. Probably others I can't think of now--fortunately for you all reading this:hihi:

I've tried to help board members, when they told me about them, with private problems. I've heard many, many personal tales. I could (but won't) tell you about the jobs certain folks do, about their families, etc. I've contacted my buddy I met when I did my DE at the Performance Center in SC to notify him when a couple of different members were coming down and to let them know what they might like. I contacted him again when another member couldn't do his DE cause it was past the time limit. I've asked my SA and tech at my local dealership and others, and BMW NA for info/help with board member's problems. I've tried to do research in other ways via the net, personal car buddies I know, to gain info. Recently I've tried to get info and link up folks just starting out doing track events.

I have many, many email addresses of members and other car related friends that I try to stay in contact with and update on various car or other issues. There were times in the beginning when I got so many PM's and such and I was so new to the info/whole internet scene, that even tough-*ss me felt like crying. I used to save almost all my PM's and emailsl to refer to so I wouldn't forget important info--I've got stacks and stacks of stuff! I've suffered when some of my "board buds" have moved on and don't stay in contact anymore--and only suffered one heart break situation muhahaha.

And maybe you all have had questions like this too--but I've been asked for pictures of myself, both on and off board (the one I finally posted actually got star rated--only 5--guess I didn't meet standards HA HA), what my hair color is, measurements, and STUFF. I've been teased and of course I tease right back. I've tried to be good natured and helpful and pesky.

You see, this place is lke a second home to me. A place where I can be myself-mostly!! Watch out if I ever decide to really cut loose.

I just started doing track events a little over two years ago and, especially when it's just me at an event, I can't go up and slap another guy on the *ss and ask him how his lastest flipity flop mod is working out. I have to be all business and darn near perfect. And believe me, it's been a steep learing curve. So this board is important to me because I can talk cars, learn a lot, get support, be myself and everyone treats me well.

SKIP DOWN HERE FOR THE SHORT ANSWER:

So the bottom line is I got upset when I tried to interact with a couple of newer board members and one old who appeared not interested and got mad because they could have at least more politely told me to butt out :1: :1: :1: But, hey I'm slow at getting hints, what can I say.

See aren't you glad you asked!!!!!!!!!!

I know I need to get a life. And some better drugs!

But do know this, if you ever show up on a track I'm at, with similar equipment, I will almost certainly whip your *ss :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Anita

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

Anita said:
OK you and Bmwnut come closer and I'll fill you in (I'll even give you both a secret decoder ring)--I think you might find it rather boring though :biggrin:

First you gotta know a liitle bit about me and my history on the board-OK wake up and quit yawning!!! zzzzz

MY BOARD STORY (SO FAR!!!)

And I'm sure there are many, many folks out here with similar stories. When you've been around a while you get a history.

OK when I first joined the board, I would try to answer as best I could all posts, PM's etc. And I would try to PM folks with follow-up answers, to make sure I hadn't offended someone with a post, etc. And tried to be helpful, you know, a good member!

So since Oct '02 when I first joined, I've traveled hundreds of miles to do multiple drives and meets. I went out to California for a couple of days to meet up with M5'ers at the Concorso there, linked up with a member in FL and actually when in Australia arranged to go across the harbor from Sydney to meet a board member there! I've met with a board member's BIL who lives in town, linked up with multiple members at the various tracks I race at. Probably others I can't think of now--fortunately for you all reading this:hihi:

I've tried to help board members, when they told me about them, with private problems. I've heard many, many personal tales. I could (but won't) tell you about the jobs certain folks do, about their families, etc. I've contacted my buddy I met when I did my DE at the Performance Center in SC to notify him when a couple of different members were coming down and to let them know what they might like. I contacted him again when another member couldn't do his DE cause it was past the time limit. I've asked my SA and tech at my local dealership and others, and BMW NA for info/help with board member's problems. I've tried to do research in other ways via the net, personal car buddies I know, to gain info. Recently I've tried to get info and link up folks just starting out doing track events.

I have many, many email addresses of members and other car related friends that I try to stay in contact with and update on various car or other issues. There were times in the beginning when I got so many PM's and such and I was so new to the info/whole internet scene, that even tough-*ss me felt like crying. I used to save almost all my PM's and emailsl to refer to so I wouldn't forget important info--I've got stacks and stacks of stuff! I've suffered when some of my "board buds" have moved on and don't stay in contact anymore--and only suffered one heart break situation muhahaha.

And maybe you all have had questions like this too--but I've been asked for pictures of myself, both on and off board (the one I finally posted actually got star rated--only 5--guess I didn't meet standards HA HA), what my hair color is, measurements, and STUFF. I've been teased and of course I tease right back. I've tried to be good natured and helpful and pesky.

You see, this place is lke a second home to me. A place where I can be myself-mostly!! Watch out if I ever decide to really cut loose.

I just started doing track events a little over two years ago and, especially when it's just me at an event, I can't go up and slap another guy on the *ss and ask him how his lastest flipity flop mod is working out. I have to be all business and darn near perfect. And believe me, it's been a steep learing curve. So this board is important to me because I can talk cars, learn a lot, get support, be myself and everyone treats me well.

SKIP DOWN HERE FOR THE SHORT ANSWER:

So the bottom line is I got upset when I tried to interact with a couple of newer board members and one old who appeared not interested and got mad because they could have at least more politely told me to butt out :1: :1: :1: But, hey I'm slow at getting hints, what can I say.

See aren't you glad you asked!!!!!!!!!!

I know I need to get a life. And some better drugs!

But do know this, if you ever show up on a track I'm at, with similar equipment, I will almost certainly whip your *ss :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Anita
I still don't get it. But I'm from California so maybe that's why.:hihi: :hihi: :1: :1: hiha

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gsfent said:
Good, let me know the dates, maybe we can work in a track day!! :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry
I will!! And I hope FINALLY to have my comp license by then!! So nice of you to let me track your M5 :D :D :D :D :D

Anita

1 - 20 of 32 Posts