BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well here's the story...

Fuel light came on this morning so I stopped at the local Shell station to top up on some V-Power. Went through the normal steps.. pump gas, turn and flip pump nozzle upsidedown to avoid spillage on body, go and pay clerk.

So I put the key in the ignition to start her up, and instead of the normal "FASTEN SEATBLET", followed by "CHECK OK" on the MID, I get "Gurt anlengen(?) or something along those lines. Pixels made the read a little difficult, but the message was the first time I've ever seen that. Then it proceeded to the FASTEN SEATBLET and CHECK OK messages.

Now I know I don't have an M5 but this could be something ALL of us might encounter and I just wanted to know form the German speaking memebers what does that message mean? I know Gurt means belt, but the second word is Greek to me, and I am Greek so go figure....

Anyways, thanks for your help fellas...

·
Registered
661 Posts
"Gurt Befestigen" means "Fasten Seatbelt" in German. you display must have somehow set your onboard computer to display in German.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm thinking as well...

Maybe it got confused for a second there... lol

Thanks.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Your car is bilingual!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Literally, "gurt anlegen" means "put on belt" (in German, verbs are often at the end rather than the beginning or middle as in English; "gurt" means "belt"). Use the Google translation tool. It's one of the best. :M5launch:

From ZDNet - USA
Google dominates in machine translation tests

"Google's machine translation wasn't perfect, but it was well ahead of the competition. On a scale from zero to one, the company's software scored 0.5137 on the Arabic tests and 0.3531 on the Chinese tests. The University of Southern California's Information Sciences Institute came in second with a 0.4657 on Arabic tests and 0.3073 on Chinese. IBM scored 0.4646 on Arabic and 0.2571 on Chinese. Other participants included the University of Edinburgh and the Harbin Institute of Technology. Most of the software tested came from research labs, according to the National Institute of Science and Technology. "

1 - 7 of 7 Posts