BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year to all.

I have a 2002 M5. My car went to a shop to have the a/c fixed. Ended up being compressor seals. Now a/c works fine. However, since I got the car back, I noticed a strange rattling/gurgling noise coming from the center console-shifter. Rattle is heard mostly when the car is coasting (either in gear or in neutral). Timing of the repair could be a coincidence (maybe not a/c-related).

Have been searching a lot in the forum, but have not found a discussion that specifically addresses this issue. Have read posts on replacing the guibo, but car is pulling hard, and sound described is mostly heard not felt as a dramatic vibration.

Additional info that could help:

Had a clutch kit, new flywheel, clutch fork, clutch pin, and transmission mounts replaced just over a month ago. Told the shop to switch anything that seemed off, while replacing clutch. They did not notice anything drive-train-related that seemed worn. Did not have this issue while driving it (like a grandma while breaking the clutch/flywheel in) for a month afterwards.

Years ago, I had an E39 540i (automatic) with the exact same noise! It would happen after driving in the wet, and would come and go (days/weeks would go by without it).This would lead me to preliminarily exclude the installed parts as potential culprits,but, honestly, I don’t know.

I appreciate any help I can get.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar issue with my car. It ended up being the exhaust was rubbing on the brace behind the transmission where it has the 2 rubber mounts. I used some washers to space the brace down a little bit and my noise went away.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I would suggest getting the car in the air and run the engine. Pull the belly pans off and try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Rattling and gurgling are quite different in my mind. Posting a clip of the sound might help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar issue with my car. It ended up being the exhaust was rubbing on the brace behind the transmission where it has the 2 rubber mounts. I used some washers to space the brace down a little bit and my noise went away.
Samk1109,

Haven’t had time to post.Took the car Saturday morning to an alignment shop, and while they had it in the air, the tech and I went over the exhaust system, and he mentioned exactly that.

We noticed that the rubber bushings that hold the cats were torn and the center exhaust section was scraping the brace you mentioned (include pictures) Tech suggested I space it out, same as you did.

Thank you for your input. That definitely confirms the noise. As soon as I have it spaced, and replace the bushings (found them on ECS part #18207832991) I will post to confirm, but I feel positive it’s that. Thank you for your response.
2BF821AD-F8CB-412F-AA72-275C4D390C62.jpeg
CB53537F-D4D3-45DA-8CCD-23888B3FF7A4.jpeg
4368747A-930C-47A2-9BDA-EDEBF5C47985.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suggest getting the car in the air and run the engine. Pull the belly pans off and try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from. Rattling and gurgling are quite different in my mind. Posting a clip of the sound might help.

It is a strange noice, but if I had to choose, it is more of a rattle near the center section of the exhaust (further away from the engine-more to the center console-shifter).

As noted by another member and the tech that saw the car, it appears that the center exhaust section scrapes against a brace and causes the noise.

Will replace worn center exhaust bushings (hangers) and have it spaced to see if it fixes that.

Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
The orange bushing were the originals. The new black version has much bigger bump stops in the middle, way less prone to collapsing over time.

Can't recall when the change was made - was at least 8-9 years ago iirc - but for any car I work on, if the old style are still in place they get replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to post a quick update:

Replaced worn center exhaust hanger-bushings and noise is gone.

Thank you all for your input.

Include pictures of worn bushings (they have seen better days).
3C97297D-DBD2-4831-B0DF-E0A5E9376600.jpeg
09E993E0-E8D9-4A10-9048-1F8FCDB5FEEF.jpeg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts