BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a few piccies of the beast with stock rims refinished in gunmetal grey, with silver rim edges (Similar to the E30 Sport Evo) and black kidneys finished in the same gunmetal grey. The wheels look superb going round as the contrats is even higher. I'm just waiting for 10mm front spacers to improve the fromnt track and add a little more weight to the steering.

comments chaps :M5launch: Very welcome - The only thing I am not 100% vonvinced of is the grill colour ? I think I might of gone a little darker ?

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
That is absolutely GORGEOUS. Well done!

It is understated, aggressive, brooding and matches the Carbon Black perfectly. I'm not sure on the grille, either. It might be too dark.

But the rims. The rims are PERFECT. I want to do my rims like that, too.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks buddy cherrsagai :M5launch: cherrsagai

Your kind words are much appreciated, I think it looks tuff mmmmmm

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Very nice! Congratulations on the look.

Grill looks good to me as well.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Wow, beautiful.

I have wanted to get my wheels black in the center, with a polished lip for the longest time now

How do you think that would look?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Jajo:

I saw a jet back M5 with the stock rims painted black with a polished lip. It looked amazingly good. Unfortunately I've never seen them on a silver car though.

Try Photoshop?

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
looks great, i really like the grill, subtle but looks very nice on the dark car. Is the grill just powdercoated too? Nice idea, i might steal it!

Wheels look great too.
Mike

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys, thanks for the comments, I know that everything is personal with external 'extras' on the M5.

I just wanted it too look a little more bespoke and subtle but not too far away from Original :7:

The wheels were first painted in a gunmetal grey (I can find a similar colour, as the guys made the colour up for me as they had just painted a car in a colour that I thought was pretty close) They added straight silver to lighten it and take out a hint of 'brown' in the grey - I now know that greys can be black grey, brown greys, blue greys, green grays !

Then the centres were masked off and they carefully painted the lip in a straight silver (Standard alloy wheel shade)

The kidneys were stock after market black kidneys painted the same silver as the wheel centres.

If I had a different colour to CB, then I would have a look at some silvers and put them next to the car as some 'work' and others look wrong ! One hint is that the wheel centres will look darker when painted than you imagine, so go for a shade lighter rather than darker if your undecided

I look forward to seeing some other cars in similar finishes !! :1:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'll be fitting black grilles and black mesh inserts shortly Adrian, so I will post pictures then.....

·
Registered
204 Posts
The silver on the lips of my wheels is peeling (heat maybe???) but in the next couple of weeks I'm going to take the plunge and go black inside, polished silver lip, should I do golssy black inside, or something a little flatter?

Thanks guys, will post pics when it's done...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would go for a gloss black personally as it will pick up the light and show the spokes profile - maybe a metallic black ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Can anyone ps that car with gunmetal side mirrors? Wanna see if it would look as sweet as I think it would.

·
Registered
947 Posts
i have the same colour scheme on the 15" BBS's on my 325i
They do look the biz :1:

·
Registered
962 Posts
I like very much.

I think the grill may be a smidgin too dark. Nice to balance against the wheels but the surround to the grill is less helpfull and letting it stand out.

However I'm talking at such a fine degree off of perfect that it may well be just right in the flesh.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wonder if anyone has Photoshop, after rebuilding my PC with viruses I don't have it any more. Grey mirrors could look very 'race' ?

Anyone fancy having a play with PS ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am pulling the wheels for the winter and to put on new rubber. Any thoughts on color for a LeMans blue M5? I have been back and forth between black and grey.
Thanks in advance and pics would be great!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts