BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After speaking to many of the people who did the gumball this year (and last) it seems a lot of them were left dissapointed with what they got for there money with many feeling they had been mislead as to what they got from the event.
I`m not having a pop at the gumball but do any of you think it could become a victim of its own success ?

What i mean is, with the restriction of certain cars and the increasing inability of joe public being able to gain entry do you think people will increasingly go to the other events ?

We have things like cannonball, ultimate rally (although thats aimed at the extreme high end), outrun, rabbit run etc etc.

I think its only a matter of time before someone comes up with an event that offers excitement and value for money to rival the gumball and wonder if they would relax the criteria to suit ?

Again, i`m not having apop at the gumball with this post.

·
Registered
158 Posts
E30Gumball said:
After speaking to many of the people who did the gumball this year (and last) it seems a lot of them were left dissapointed with what they got for there money with many feeling they had been mislead as to what they got from the event.
I`m not having a pop at the gumball but do any of you think it could become a victim of its own success ?

What i mean is, with the restriction of certain cars and the increasing inability of joe public being able to gain entry do you think people will increasingly go to the other events ?

We have things like cannonball, ultimate rally (although thats aimed at the extreme high end), outrun, rabbit run etc etc.

I think its only a matter of time before someone comes up with an event that offers excitement and value for money to rival the gumball and wonder if they would relax the criteria to suit ?

As far as I know Gumball was never meant to be for Joe public to enter. The downsizing of 180 to 110 cars for next years rally certainly didn't help

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
E30Gumball said:

From what I have read about the Gumball it seems it is increasingly becoming a celebrity event with the focus more on the movie following the event rather than the driving. And this is not a pop at the Gumball either.

Current European political correctness ( look at Spain , new left wing liberal in charge , arrest all participants irregardless ) makes a true driving experience more and more difficult.

As regards getting more exclusive I'll make you a bet that Harrison Ford driving a rented base model Ford Mondeo would be accepted in a flash!

Still not having a pop at Gumball.

Long live Gumball!

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
158 Posts
E30Gumball said:
Do you beleive they wont allow more cars in early next year ?
I am in contact alot with them, the grid is closed except for a 'STARS'.

You tried to get in with the modified alpina? right?

·
Registered
158 Posts
vadas1 said:
From what I have read about the Gumball it seems it is increasingly becoming a celebrity event with the focus more on the movie following the event rather than the driving. And this is not a pop at the Gumball either.

Current European political correctness ( look at Spain , new left wing liberal in charge , arrest all participants irregardless ) makes a true driving experience more and more difficult.

As regards getting more exclusive I'll make you a bet that Harrison Ford driving a rented base model Ford Mondeo would be accepted in a flash!

Still not having a pop at Gumball.

Long live Gumball!

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)
You know its all about branding and lets face it the Gumball brand is getting more valuable:noSMG:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
The Gumball "peaked" last year, the movie/DVD gave it too much exposure. Now every tom, dick and harry wants to organise a rally. The Gumball got greedy and let loads of cars enter this year with god knows how many crashes. Luckily no one got killed. I don't think you could sucessfully hold a rally in western Europe without it getting shut down straight away. The publicity of these events coupled with stupid driving has seen to that.

As someone mentioned on a thread a while back. If you want to drive fast do it with your mates. Take a few cars go across Europe, choose the roads you want to visit, the hotels you want to stay. It will cost a far sight less and you will probably go unnoticed because you won't be driving round with stickers plastered all over the cars. But at the end of the day I suspect a lot of the Gumballers do it just so they can be noticed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Andy-UK said:
The Gumball "peaked" last year, the movie/DVD gave it too much exposure. Now every tom, dick and harry wants to organise a rally. The Gumball got greedy and let loads of cars enter this year with god knows how many crashes. Luckily no one got killed. I don't think you could sucessfully hold a rally in western Europe without it getting shut down straight away. The publicity of these events coupled with stupid driving has seen to that.

As someone mentioned on a thread a while back. If you want to drive fast do it with your mates. Take a few cars go across Europe, choose the roads you want to visit, the hotels you want to stay. It will cost a far sight less and you will probably go unnoticed because you won't be driving round with stickers plastered all over the cars. But at the end of the day I suspect a lot of the Gumballers do it just so they can be noticed.
Some good valid comments. I suppsoe thats why they have reduced the number of participants and also why they are going thru central europe (where I lived for the last 10 years) I reckon the Czech's will be the tough one this year. Anyway you look at it though 110 super cars traveling that distance at one time is still quite an acheivement...

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mussy said:
I am in contact alot with them, the grid is closed except for a 'STARS'.

You tried to get in with the modified alpina? right?
Yes mate, it wasnt up to there spec apparently.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Andy-UK said:
Exactly. You pointed it out.

Nevertheless, i will do the gumball again. It was great fun, lots of really crazy people, great cars and i believe that the route in 2005 will be more impressive than this year.

But driving with my mates is also big fun. One week a year gumball, 51 weeks driving with the other guys on country roads and racetracks. Life could be harder.:1:

·
Registered
62 Posts
E30Gumball said:
Gumball is gumball love it or hate it. I love it for what it is, but I think it has developed into something that is no longer primarily about cars or driving. It is more about rock and roll and parties which is great, if that’s your thing.

How is that monster BMW coming along E30Gumball ?

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its now complete and i took it for a spin yesterday.

It is incredible, trully amazing in fact (for an old car :eek: )
It does feel as though the engine was meant to be there so it seems ok so far.
I`ll be doing some miles in it to check all is ok then get it to the paint shop for a strip and paint ready for next year.

·
Registered
62 Posts
E30Gumball said:
Its now complete and i took it for a spin yesterday.

It is incredible, trully amazing in fact (for an old car :eek: )
It does feel as though the engine was meant to be there so it seems ok so far.
I`ll be doing some miles in it to check all is ok then get it to the paint shop for a strip and paint ready for next year.
Sounds great. Have you got the turbos working yet? (dump valve anyone)
I would love to go for a spin sometime, I don't suppose your thinking of going to the Easytrack day at Brands Hatch next Saturday 27th ?

·
Registered
213 Posts
E30Gumball said:
In Ostend, Belgium (my home-town) there's a early 90's model Mercedes E driving around with stickers "Gumball 2005 participant" all over it.

I'd rather see your modified Alpina than this stupid, old Mercedes owned by some guy who thinks if he places enough spoilers on its car, it'll turn out to be a fly ride

well, IMO it's not!

So on what does Gumball bases it's "exclusivity" then????

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have no idea how they make there mind up on cars but i got the car back today and can safely say that it would compete healthely against a lot of the super cars out there in a line and would happily do the distance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
E30Gumball said:
I have no idea how they make there mind up on cars but i got the car back today and can safely say that it would compete healthely against a lot of the super cars out there in a line and would happily do the distance.
How much power do you reckon shes pushing?

·
Banned
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would quote around the 350hp mark atm but when the low comp turbo lump is in it will be over the 500hp quite easily.

Basically what i`ve done is to get a 3.2 evo engine fitted into the e30 but had never undertaken such a job so had it done for me.
The plan was let someone do all the hard work and fabrication whilst i have the low comp turbo engine built which can then be fitted to the existing setup and map it and away we go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The 3.2 Evo engine is 321 BHP out of the box. That's allot of power on it's own to put into an E30. With a few mods 350BHP is not to be sniffed at, would be very reliable if you left it without turbos. As you intend to do allot of miles rallying would it not be an idea to leave it with no turbo's?

Or are you just power crazy!!!! If you are then turbo's and NOS should give you about 600!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
closeshave said:
The 3.2 Evo engine is 321 BHP out of the box. That's allot of power on it's own to put into an E30. With a few mods 350BHP is not to be sniffed at, would be very reliable if you left it without turbos. As you intend to do allot of miles rallying would it not be an idea to leave it with no turbo's?

Or are you just power crazy!!!! If you are then turbo's and NOS should give you about 600!!!!!!!!!!
That's right, when he was first mentioning the engine I got the impression it was an M3 engine that was going in.. But is the Evo not turbo-charged stock... 321 with turbo ?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts