BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
Asked to take some photos when retrofitting the ski bag, so here you go…….
<o:p></o:p>
This is all at your own risk obviously
My car is a 2001 Facelift UK RHD Car, with the solid rear seats.
The BMW instructions are in THIS thread.
I did not find this procedure as easy as some other people seem to have found it, a few members have reported times around 45mins to fit the kit, I took 3.5hr’s, I’m not sure what we did differently.
The measuring up was far the most difficult part to do accurately, due to the sound deadening material and the not flat bulkhead section.
Step One
Order the ski bag retrofit kit, part number 72609405802. This includes the ski hatch and the securing bolt. It was £175 delivered from bmminiparts.com

Here is the ski hatch

Now I intend to use the ski hatch to aid me in moving my model helicopters, these are quite long and have delicate tail sections, as such I didn’t want the bag snarling up on the edges of the helicopter potentially damaging it. So I decided to detach the bag from the hatch. This is easily done, just put off the secure shroud with medium force, remove the bag, and refit the shroud.

Now over to the car, here’s what we start with

Start by removing the rear bench seat, this lifts up vertically at the front separating from clips and the ‘unhooks’ from under the rear bench. Take note as to the arrangement of the seat belts and carefully pull them out of the holes in the seat.

Remove the two bolts, one near each door to release the rear seat, also remove the head rests. Remove the rear seat by lifting it up out of the clips on the bulkhead and out of the car.

Here is the ski hatch area.

Cut out the sound deadening along the perforations, it helps to have a really sharp knife

Move into the boot now, and remove the trim panels, I ended up removing all the trim panels in the boot due to ones overlapping the other and I didn’t want to damage any of them.

Now the difficult bit, from inside the car, lift the sound deadening and try and locate the 6 locating marks on the bulkhead as described in the BMW manual. I struggled with this, and ended up removing the centre headrest support, and the trim clips along the top edge to give more clearance to pull the sound deadening back.
Using masking tape or some other means, now mark out the cut out as per the instruction from BMW, using the punch marks are locators.

Drill out the corners etc as described in the BMW guide, and then cut out the hatch, I used a jigsaw with a fine metal blade, cutting was very easy, take your time to keep the lines straight.

Now test fit your hatch and make adjustments as required, mine required very little

Clean up the edges and deburr, I used a grinding stone in a Dremel tool with a flexible shaft, once all the edges are clean and smooth, paint them to prevent corrosion, I used Hammerite and left the car overnight to dry properly. Whilst your waiting, cut the rear trim panel as described in the BMW instructions, I found it best to cut the padding away with a sharp knife, then cut the fibreboard with the jigsaw. Now’s also the time to remove all the swarf from the car, a magnet helps for the hard to reach areas.
Then cut away the covering pad and install the securing bolt, reinstall the boot trim pieces, and refit the seats, job done.

Hope that helps
Matt

·
Super Moderator
4,847 Posts
Neat about your final product is: you get a full size armrest, whereas we fold-down seat guys get a wimpy one.

Is that kit merely pressed into place, or is it fastened?

PS - I learned a new word today (swarf).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neat about your final product is: you get a full size armrest, whereas we fold-down seat guys get a wimpy one.

Is that kit merely pressed into place, or is it fastened?

PS - I learned a new word today (swarf).
It clips in at the top, and theres a securing bolt at the bottom to the bulkhead. No picture of that sorry but its obvious when installing :)

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Used successfully for the first time at the weekend, it has really helped me out, i was considering having to sell the car due to payload concerns.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
597 Posts
Great write up made so much better with large photos. Well done on a rarely seen but practical mod.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks so much for that writeup Matt!
When I bought my M5 I was thinking that all M5's have the foldable rear seats and ski bag and was bumped to find out mine has the fixed ones. Then I saw this post and it saved my skiing trips that I'm doing twice each winter! Just installed the ski bag in half a Sat, most difficult part for me was removing the panels in the trunk, a DIY for how to do that without breaking them or injuring your fingers would be appreciated :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts