1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

last news so far is that the new supra (06') will be offerd with 2 engines

1- V8 around 300+ hp with a price range of a z350
2- V10 500+ hp with a price range of the carrera

It might be be offerd with a rear wheel drive for the v8 and maybe all wheel drive for the v10.... there is a 140 pages thread about it in supraforums.com

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If they can figure a way to combine the performance of a Carrera (Turbo)with the quality and technology of a Toyota/Lexus, they will steal a lot of market share from the Germans, and I might be one of them.

Tom

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Won't fit the wife & kids - I'll stick with the M5 :)

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Toyota has set their hopes high with the Supra in the past but has always seemed to fall short. I remember a car mag cover sometime ago "Toyota aims at the Corvette but hits the Camaro"

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Will these supras be as "moddable" as the old one?

Thats what i liked about those, 800-900bhp monsters...

all the best
adam

·
Registered
336 Posts
My money is still on Honda just like in last round

But if Toyota decides to get their F1 team involved in this new Supra project, things might get interesting

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
If the 500bhp V10 costs as much as a 997 Carrera then they would be lucky if they can sell 3 of them here in the UK.

Hmmm Porsche or Toyota? Tough decision......not!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Andy-UK said:
If the 500bhp V10 costs as much as a 997 Carrera then they would be lucky if they can sell 3 of them here in the UK.

Hmmm Porsche or Toyota? Tough decision......not!
You've made a good point here. Paying that much money for a Toyota doesn't make much sense to many people, even not if it has a 500hp engine or whatever. If the price will be a bit lower then I'm sure that a lot more people will be willing to buy one.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Jos,

In the UK the badge means everything. A Ford Mondeo ST220 costs around £22000 with a 3 litre V6 and 220 bhp, a BMW 318 costs around the same and has only 143 bhp. Which one do people want/buy? Easy the BMW. Not only does it hold it's value better it is generally accepted as a better car irrespective of the power output.

Imagine your down the bar with your friends and they ask you what you drive. Would you rather say Toyota Supra or Porsche 911?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Andy-UK said:
Jos,

In the UK the badge means everything. A Ford Mondeo ST220 costs around £22000 with a 3 litre V6 and 220 bhp, a BMW 318 costs around the same and has only 143 bhp. Which one do people want/buy? Easy the BMW. Not only does it hold it's value better it is generally accepted as a better car irrespective of the power output.

Imagine your down the bar with your friends and they ask you what you drive. Would you rather say Toyota Supra or Porsche 911?
Andy,
As an ex-pat I know what you mean about the 'perceptions' held about cars in the UK. Frankly it's a great shame, and leads to people buying dynamically inferior product, just for the name.
As for me, since I actually consider myself a 'driver', I'd take the Mondeo ST220 anyday over the 318i; the ST220 is a far 'better' car. I'm probably in the minority though if I were still living in the UK; (hopefully I'm not in the minority here, since I'd hope the vast majority of us on the Board would preferentially choose the better car based on its virtues, not name!).

·
Registered
283 Posts
That's very true about the badge. It's the same reason nobody is buying a VW Phaeton. Who would pay 7 series and S class money for a VW? They don't want to go to a showroom that also sells Golfs and Jettas, either.

Interesting example between the Mondeo vs. 318. While I've heard fabulous things about the ST200 (shame we don't get one here), from a purely driving perspective, I might still prefer the slower BMW. Rear-wheel-drive would be my biggest deciding factor, and knowing BMW chassis magic, even the non-M cars are cracking good fun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
jos said:
You've made a good point here. Paying that much money for a Toyota doesn't make much sense to many people, even not if it has a 500hp engine or whatever. If the price will be a bit lower then I'm sure that a lot more people will be willing to buy one.
This is the same reasoning why Nissan is branding the GTR as an Infiniti. It is going to carry a price of around $50k+ and Nissan-Datsun figures that they will sell more under the Infiniti name just because of the name. I'm guessing the Supra will be sold as a Lexus (maybe it will have a different name, too).

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
BMW.WilliamsF1Team said:
This is the same reasoning why Nissan is branding the GTR as an Infiniti. It is going to carry a price of around $50k+ and Nissan-Datsun figures that they will sell more under the Infiniti name just because of the name. I'm guessing the Supra will be sold as a Lexus (maybe it will have a different name, too).

that would make it harder for them to cash on the F1 project..

and I believe that this wont so easy to mod, the older turbo surpras were built to be tunedc, this one with V10 probably not..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts