BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant quite pin point where the noise is coming from.

Intake, plenum, exhaust? Thoughts?

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/3Ko4N-m1EBE?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/3Ko4N-m1EBE?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weird thing is I am not seeing any of these symptoms. I'm dropping it off
Monday to get the Vanos Solenoids replaced and will have them test the
injectors and search for this weird noise.

no smoke
no leaks
no back fires
no miss fires
no stuttering

Ghost in the darn MACHINE.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
How long have you owned the car? I have heard of the vanos pump gear making a loud whining noise if the gear lash is set incorrectly. It has a very small tolerance on setting the lash. You have an 06 with short gear teeth and lash is critical. Maybe the pump was changed recently if you just bought the car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought it from a guy in Portland last week and had it shipped after BMW inspection. Pulled all the records and
everything seemed great.

All this done within the past 12 months on BMW service records:

New Clutch, pivot, throw out bearing, sleeve, fly wheel
New Alternator
New Battery
New Tires
New Rotors and brakes
New Plugs and wires

I actually just noticed this in the darn service notes from BMW dated:7/12/12

Complaint: Guest states there's a whine type noise when at a stand still and you rev the engine.

Comments: Noise from right side Vanos ASY.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the rattling its more prominent on the passenger side but the whining noise is killing me. Sounds like I have a super charger in the car
without the HP.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BiemSY192_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Almost sounds like a vacuum leak perhaps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to the BMW records the whining noise has been going on since 2012. If
the Vanos was making this noise and was going bad this crap should have blown up
by then? I cant pin point the whining noise to the Vanos unit only the regular vanos
chatter. Im hoping they got it wrong and were to lazy to pin point the actual source
of the whining sound.

I'm taking it in to the shop asap...praying its just the solenoids and a mystery air leak
some where to resolve these issues.

Doesn't sound like a pulley that I have ever heard....please baby Jesus let it be an easy
fix or im about to go Marine APE ****!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Worst news ever....

Guy sold me the car with both Vanos units crapped out..and the idle control valves. Shop just ran the daig and gave me the bad news.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:confused: so bummed.. 5k for both vanos units...plus another 1600 for Idle Control valves then 1200 for labor.
Have a baby on the way and wife is gonna flip.

$7800 I dont have...plus the baby is due in Aug. Wife is going to flip!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
That's from the dealer...

You can chop that repair bill in half I bet going to an indy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its at an Indy...BMW wants way more for parts at labor. What a nightmare...im sure I can surf the net for cheaper
parts..gonna take me a while to scrape up everything. What luck..new I shouldn't have bought the darn car. Worst
week ever!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I thought you bought the idle valves already?? Did you happen to have them check the oil filter for shavings?

Will email you back in a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah got them from Troy.....so I saved a few hundred there. Just upset at the whole deal..cool thanks!

Reactions: Alrock31

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently purchased my '01and took the drive belts off and it still makes the noise. I hear the VANOS at idle. Using a scope one side is louder. I am just now investigating this. I was thinking there may be nylon guides for the timing chains gone bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts