BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys its time to officially introduce myself here. Some of you guys may know me from the other forums. I am new to the E60 world, but not to BMW. My last car was a 2002 E46 M3.

To those of you that know me...Surprise! I have joined the "darker" side lol :applause:

To those of you that I dont know. I hope to get to know you guys soon and hope that you all will welcome me here since this will be my new "home" forum haha. No pics of the M5 until mods are put on it. Hopefully the madness will begin.

Here are a couple pics of the m3. Soon to go unfortunately. :sad1:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Your M3 looked great. Welcome to the board. With how nice the M3 was, I look forward to seeing your M5 after a few personal touches!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Oh gosh...who the hell do you think you are, and why are you posting up a POS car, hahaha.

I see you are trying to follow my path..LOL

nice having you on board jeff! You already bought 2 mods when you didnt even have the car yet!! LOL

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Cooooooooooooooooooool.

·
Registered
370 Posts
that is one sweet looking m3... cant wait to see the M5

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha thanks guys for the warm welcome!

The M3 is pending sale =( and I'm going to miss it soooo much...it makes me queazy inside

yeah I almost went AMG but after test driving the CLS 55, E55, and the 63s then the M5 I had to have the feel and handling. It just didn't even come close.

Now I can't really compare the stock m5 to my m3 in terms of drivability for obivous reasons. But the M5 def feels less nimble. Now after some suspension work I know that will def change.

Power wise I still would love to see how my m3 matches up to the m5. Despite the power advantage to the m3, the 3 is much heavier than stock with the stereo and 20's. But at the same time it has a power advantage. I just need someone to drive one of the cars while I drive the other. Perhaps I'll shoot a quick vid of it.

Anyways...I have been lurking for a few weeks now trying to read up on some things. First and foremost is the whole SMG thing. I know there is a learning curve, but for those of you that drive manuals or have driven manuals before the m5. Is it me or does it seem like the shifts are slower? I do feel the faster im accelerating or the further down the pedal is when I shift it shifts faster. But I'm used to shifting at lower rpms and quickly so the lag is driving me nuts.

Secondly, this may be a noob thing to do but I feel like I just have to drive in m mode all the time. I have everything on, p500, MDM, etc, etc. The powerband feels very strong and linear up to redline. But again the shifts feel sluggish. I tried the SMG reset but it didn't seem to change much.

Also is it me or does the I-drive seem slow?

·
Registered
915 Posts
jeff, welcome...
hows texas man? come back to la. we were m3 buddies and now were m5 buddies.
cant wait to see what your going to do with this car...
i came from 6mt to smg too. it just takes some getting used to (raising the gas pedal at the right time)

im sure you'll get the hang of it.

hope to see ya soon, hope all is good.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jeff, welcome...
hows texas man? come back to la. we were m3 buddies and now were m5 buddies.
cant wait to see what your going to do with this car...
i came from 6mt to smg too. it just takes some getting used to (raising the gas pedal at the right time)

im sure you'll get the hang of it.

hope to see ya soon, hope all is good.
sup bro! yeah I saw that you have an e60 now! Yeah don't you think the smg shifts slower? I feel like I upshift then there's a 2 second delay or so. Even in p500 mode.

Also where is a good place to get mods from? Things like the Euro spec headlights. I'm also wondering about suspension. I was thinking about getting KW's but dunno if I wanna sacrifice the EDC. Any other mods you guys think is worth getting? or a must have?

·
Registered
915 Posts
sup bro! yeah I saw that you have an e60 now! Yeah don't you think the smg shifts slower? I feel like I upshift then there's a 2 second delay or so. Even in p500 mode.

Also where is a good place to get mods from? Things like the Euro spec headlights. I'm also wondering about suspension. I was thinking about getting KW's but dunno if I wanna sacrifice the EDC. Any other mods you guys think is worth getting? or a must have?
yeah, if the smg is bugging you, get software, it makes it faster and smother.
if you want the euro spec head lights, im not sure about hook ups for it but e60.net has alot of lighting stuff in the classified section. if you want the rear LEDs (08) lights, i have a wholesale account at my dealership so i get them at a heavy discounted price. let me know if you want those. i was going to get kw's on the e60 and hammer it like the e46 but i didnt want to give up the EDC so I got the RD springs.. I mean, its low but not KW low. about 1.5" drop in the front and about 1" in the rear. they're the lowest springs they offer for the e60. other things you MUST have are the RPI Intake scoops (do the charcoal filter delete), and RPI Pulley. My car pulls like a champ. :thumbsup:
let me know if you need anything, you can pm me or call me (if u still have my #)
- josh

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jeff try P500 S and put the shifting gear all the way up to P6 =)
i think I have the M mode on and that is set at the highest setting. Its still like a 1-2 second delay between shifts...I mean im not flooring it or revving it high, but I'd expect that it would shift faster.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts