BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of the strict diet my M5 is on, I am installing a clear polycarbonate Lexan replacement panel that weighs about 4lbs in place of the glass sunroof. All the unnecessary sunroof related items that unbolt are coming off. The headliner is going back on after the new panel is installed.

I have ordered two panels, one for testing and one for final installation. These are formed panels identical to the glass panel and have a scratch resistant coating. The gasket holding the panel in the hole is a 3/4" inch wide strip that is rounded and about 3/16th at its tallest point. The panel can be painted to match the car or painted black/charcoal. Paint is usually applied to the underside and the plastic side faces up.

I am not sure how easy it would be to reverse this modification. Nothing is getting cut or drilled, but depending on how much adhesive is used, some of it may get on the lip of metal at the edge of the sunroof opening. Because of the type of gasket being used, careful use of the adhesive should reduce or eliminate what gets on the inside edge of the opening.

I am going to have quite a bit of money in this little project. If anyone is interested in buying a finished product to help reduce my costs, please post or pm me. Cost would be $250 to $300 with the gasket and adhesive.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the material gets a scratch resistant coating. It will not scratch too easily with a clean soft towel, or better yet clean microfiber towel. Good question. I put uncoated lexan as a window replacement, and it scratched with a rough paper towel. That is not supposed to happen with the coating. I will be testing it in a few weeks and will report back. I should have the windows back in two weeks or less, and sample gaskets are on their way already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts