BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any of you 'sponsored' vendors interested in sponsoring a Group Buy? Am I allowed to propose to set one up myself if no vendors step forward? Anyone else interested?

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
It is totally OK and according to the rules to start our own m5board.com Group Buy for this product. Let's go :)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
yep, I could be interested in one.. early birthday present :haha2:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Dobber said:
Any of you 'sponsored' vendors interested in sponsoring a Group Buy? Am I allowed to propose to set one up myself if no vendors step forward? Anyone else interested?
Be aware that G-Tech still hasn't fixed the problem with the engine speed measurement that prevents measurement of engine RPM in BMWs.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
351 Posts
OK, sorry to ignorant, but what the hell is this? Sounds like a lap timing device and if so, I'm interested, but like to know more.

I'll google it and see.
TripleD

B

·
0 Posts
x703jko said:
Be aware that G-Tech still hasn't fixed the problem with the engine speed measurement that prevents measurement of engine RPM in BMWs.

Jeff cherrsagai
We would be happy to offer a group buy on this, but please note the above comment made by Jeff. Until this is fixed, the G-Tech will not do everything you expect it to do.

Fellow board member "greg" has the scoop on this product.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
616 Posts
BeastPower said:
We would be happy to offer a group buy on this, but please note the above comment made by Jeff. Until this is fixed, the G-Tech will not do everything you expect it to do.
What about its ability to measure 0-60mph, 1/4mile time? Is it still ok/accurate?

·
Registered
797 Posts
MPRESIV said:
What about its ability to measure 0-60mph, 1/4mile time? Is it still ok/accurate?
Yes and it works very well for those parameters, But you're also paying for something that you can't use - engine speed measurement. Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Assuming it doesn't work, all you miss out on it the flashing shift lights and simulated motor speed sound, which I would never use anyway. There are a few forums for this product and the concensus is that RPM sensing doesn't work 100% of the time. However, I have read several accounts and the concensus seems to be that if you turn on the radio, A/C, rear defroster and a few other electrical items, the RPM measurement function works fine. Nonetheless, I want it for the HP, 1/4 mi, and directional G force meter. I would like a performance accelerometer, and the GTech IMO is the best one on the market for the money, features and performance. You can check out their web at gtechpro(dot)com. There is also at least two forums and a yahoo group dedicated to this unit. Several automotive magazines use them when they travel, so I'm cetain it is good enough for me. Perhaps 'greg' can comment?

WRT the Beltronics, this unit is the same as the Passport model, and only uses 2 (axis) accelerometers, where the GTech uses 3 (axis). Quite a shorter feature set on the Beltronics as well.

I know there is a whole chevy/ford debate about these gizmos. Yes I will agree that nothing is better than a real dyno. Nonetheless, I would like a performance accelerometer, and the GTech Competition RR, IMO is the best one on the market for the money. I fully intend to buy one, and would like to get a good deal. I'm assuming there are others like me out there. If you are interested, please comment here or to me via pm. If you are one of those violently opposed to accelerometers, please visit another topic or forum. ;)
Thanx,
Dobber

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As an update, I have about 9 'firm gonna get ones' to date and a half a dozen 'yea I might be interesteds'. I would like to get over 10-15 firms before going to resellers. I'll be pushing for at least 10% off and free shipping, and am confident we will be able to do even better. I'll hold off for another week or two to see if we can get the numbers up. I have at least one person interested in the SS model, if this is your preference, I'm sure we can get it as well. If interested in either one, please pm me your info.
Thanx,
Dobber

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just realized after I bought my Gtech Pro SS that it can't transfer the data to PC.

So if anyone wants to buy my Gtech Pro SS - excellent condition for $185 shipped (paypal add 4%), count me in for the RR version group buy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Whats the regular price for the GTech Competition RR?

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
FYI - I had a "G-Tech Pro" and then the "G-Tech Pro Competion" - the predecessor of the RR. I can't comment on the new RR and SS - they seem to have addressed some of the issues with the original. I'll tell you what I found about the original Pro Competion and I'd love to hear if some of the issues have been addressed in the RR.

I have to say I think that, in concept, this is one of the coolest car guy gadgets I've ever seen. It is very, very smart, and for the most part very well engineered.

It (was) also, despite their claims, focused exclusively on drag race features - at which it was very impressive. When I got mine I was excited about its proclaimed "road racing" applications and very disappointed that it was not good for that purpose. The company promised software releases to fix it but they were slower than molasses in delivering ANY updates, and what they did release while I had the unit never addressed this side of the equation. To be blunt, their customer service SUCKED. The guy who answered the phone was nice, but evidently had no real power with the head honcho, and HE would never respond. I WANTED to be able to start a logging process while under way, so as to log several laps of a track, or do a single gear, clutch-already-out acceleration test (see below) and then analyze the data. My product required starting at 0 mph, and would only log for a 1/4 mile (plus braking to 0) or so. I know the RR has much more memory and can log much more data. If it can log for long enough, starting from a stop (in the pits) isn't a huge drawback.

Another thing that made me crazy was that the display was oriented such that it could not be read with polarized lenses, which I ALWAYS wear. Rookie mistake on their part.

When I got my unit you could download its data using a terminal emulator on a PC, so you could then process the file with any application you wanted. I liked Excel for this. Unfortunately a software upgrade changed the unit so that ONLY their software (which didn't work for me) would download from the unit.

Another flaw was that the RPM sensing system didn't work in the M5. It worked in the Porsche so I could see what it did. The system listens for alternator whine on the 12V leads (which usually comes across all the wiring of your car as RF), but the engineers at BMW just did too good a job of quieting that down. I did discover that you could get it to work if you put a large load on the alternator, by turning on seat heaters and headlights. Of course, you aren't going to win races that way. If it still doesn't work on the RR, at least you can see what you're missing this way.

In principle, the G-Tech is accurate enough to provide very useful data to someone concerned with performance. If you want to know whether the mod you did made a difference, you want to measure acceleration in a single gear - to eliminate the human variables of launching and shifting. My plan was to set the cruise control for, say, 55mph to make it easy to start from a known speed. Start the unit, then floor it until redline in 3rd. You could also, using a skid pad, find the ultimate combination of tire pressures, or judge the effect of a new sway bar on cornering.

I hope you guys have fun with the RR and hope you'll report back with regard to improvements in some of these areas.

/GH

1 - 18 of 18 Posts