BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Congratulations Dave for getting a good result with your latest efforts.cherrsagai:M5launch:
Thanks Dave!

Now I need to have a retune done before the upcoming airstrip event. :M5launch:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Switching your solenoid boards has caused that the inlet solenoids are now your outlet solenoids. I assume that they just pass through the oil I guess from in to out ?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Thats really odd that it fixed itself. Kind of worrying I'll bet but at least it's OK for now. :)
That is exactly how I feel, a bit of a bittersweet moment. I'm thinking either something was getting grounded out and changing its orientation fixed this? Or maybe, as some people have suggested, by reseating them I fixed my problem? Just instead of reseating mine on the bank 1 side I did so on bank 2.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I just ran the VANOS test. Looks like mine are way off. Not sure bank 2 even finished correctly.

Any ideas on where to start? Car seems to run fine, by my butt dyno anyway.

Bank 1:

Bank 2:
Wait. Have you ever opened and cleaned the solennoids and replaced the o rings????? This is absolutely #1. IMO the text presented with the VANOS test is based on the engineers best guess when the motor and test system was designed- they though it more like the engine was mistimed than a solenoid went bad.

Sluggish advance/retart (ie the cams dont reach target) is often due to crap in the solenoids restricting their free motion and hence the hydraulic flow is constrained.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Hey Dave is your car now fully mended? :M5launch:
Hey Dave,

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation for a week.:byee55amg My car is amazing now. It pulls very hard and I can not hear any pinging!

Dave - Did you make the airstrip attack last weekend? How'd the car hold up?
The airstrip event was incredible. There were so many ridiculous cars there, from your "run of the mill" dyno queen GTR's to a half dozen twin turbo Gallardos (amongst many other cars of course). Anyway, I made 5 runs throughout the day, one by myself and 4 against other cars.

A few days before going to the race, I installed a tune that Sal had sent me in which the timing was normal to see if I had truly fixed my pinging problem. After letting the computer adjust to the new tune I was exercising my right foot and was greeted by silence(in terms of pinging noise)! I don't want to jynx myself but it seems that the work I did to my vanos had fixed my power issue. It was time to see how my car would perform!

First race was against a turbo e46 m3. I'm not sure if he was running low boost, missed a shift or what, but I beat him by about a car length or so.

Second and third race was against a Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca and in both races we were pretty much neck and neck for the first quarter mile at which point I would walk away from him by 2-3 car lenghts! The driver was really nice and congratulated me both times on how fast my car was (especially for weighing about 1300-1500 lbs more than his car) and about how insane it sounded. This made me feel pretty good.

The last, and most exciting race, was against a Maserati GranTurismo (just came from the GoldRush Rally) that my friend set up for me last minute. When we took off, he was ahead of me by about 3/4 of a car length. But once again, by the half way point I was even with him and then I started walking him, ending the half mile roughly half a car's length ahead of him (and I was still walking away from him!!)! Man was I stoked! Man, do these beasts have amazing top end!

And of course I took gopro videos of these races:M5thumbs:. My friend is downloading his videos off of my gopro so I probably won't be able to post my videos until next week.

To sum it up, you guys should definitely go to the next one!

Reactions: BrendanSC and mgdmb

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
My friend just posted the video of my race against the Gold Rush Rally Maserati GranTurismo.:checkeredflag: He didn't upload it in HD so this will have to suffice until I get my sd card back from him.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nIW21t5GfpM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Sweet! What kind of speeds were you hitting?
My best trap speed of the day was 134 mph against the Maserati actually. To put that in perspective, my friend's z06 that makes 565 rwhp ran a best of 156 mph in the half mile. It's hard to tell in the video but if you were racing someone else they didn't want you to launch hard but to get a rolling start before going WOT.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts