BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i use a peake code reader tool at the moment, but i know the main dealers all use a gt1 tool (although i think this also has recently been replaced)
i've noticed quite a few laptop obd reader combinations that puport to have gt1 capabilites. i was wondering if anyone has had experience of using them?

e.g.

gt1 bmw | eBay UK

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, i use one. The yellow head unit is really what you are paying for. Mine went bad after 3 years of use and I had it replaced for 400. Worth its weight in gold for the 4 cars I have to maintain (e36, 2 e39s, e46). The next step is the OPPS, but I hear that even that is being phased out with a new diagnostic system that needs to communicate with a dedicated server.

·
Registered
139 Posts
BMW dealers aren't even supposed to be using the GT1 anymore. The final updates for it came out in 09. You can run the DIS software as a virtual machine or on its own computer but you need a real head unit to use all of its capabilities.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
The replica yellow head, D can box/emulator, etc...it doesnt matter which one you get, you wont be able to use all the features as noone makes the external multi-tester in the aftermarket. Not to mention most of the hacked versons of DIS (if not all) dont support it.

Not many know how to fully use GT1/DIS/Progman...it's not as intuitive as one might think for anything beyond reading codes.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
The replica yellow head, D can box/emulator, etc...it doesnt matter which one you get, you wont be able to use all the features as noone makes the external multi-tester in the aftermarket. Not to mention most of the hacked versons of DIS (if not all) dont support it.

Not many know how to fully use GT1/DIS/Progman...it's not as intuitive as one might think for anything beyond reading codes.

This!

You can't do high-voltage coil/spark testing and/or see all the osciliscope functions of the real "yellow head". that means no Bus/Can diagnosis to look at the digital output, etc. etc.

with that covered, I run the following on my old 1.8ghz HP rugged laptop using a Carsoft V6.5 cable (I would advise running the generic INPA/EDIABAS cable, i just bought the CS v6.5 before I knew this all was possible):

- EDIABAS suite (basically the BMW software field-engineers' toolbox, text-based module coding, module testing - real and virtual, diagnosis interface, writing software/code etc.)
- GT1/DIS V44 (through VMware on easyDIS-based install, last DIS version to code cars, good up to about MY2001/2)
- GT1/DIS V54 (through VMware on easyDIS-based install, diagnosis-only tool for cars up to about MY 2005)
- SSS/Progman V32 (coding of cars up to about MY 2006, won't do E65 or E60 unless you have a CAN adapter connection)

EDIT:

I paid about $250 for the laptop (total) after a 1gb ram + 160gb HDD upgrade, and $40 for the Carsoft V6.5 cable.

that's about $300 total investment.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Check out BMWTEQ on ebay,

he's created a DVD set with DIS, INPA, SSS, all of it to run through the OBDII port.

Works great, recoded my LCM to get rid of the fog light warnings using NCS Expert.

Also check out NCS Dummy (on bimmerforums) to read the NCS expert files.

Lot's great stuff on the boards and using BMWTEQ's VMware installs it goes pretty easy...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.