BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I went over this car too before buying the M5. Take a look at the Nissan service center you will be using, ask them service questions and then look over the service agreement for the GTR. Nissan has some pretty strong requirements. It was actually a better deal to buy the M5 and the service center had no confidence with me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah, if you touch anything on that car it voids the warranty. I also heard if you use the launch control more than a certain amount of times it voids the warranty. Just nuts.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Yeah, if you touch anything on that car it voids the warranty. I also heard if you use the launch control more than a certain amount of times it voids the warranty. Just nuts.
Not true. The first version of launch control (LC1) allowed the car to rev to 4500 rpm but had some transaxle failure issues which brought about a class action law suit. The settlement allowed Nissan to reflash launch control (LC2) which lowered the revs at launch to around 3K rpm. If the car has LC2 reflashed on 09 MY, there shouldn't be any issues on the warranty.

Tom

·
Registered
90 Posts
fyi, my insurance quote for the GTR is double what it is for the M5. some places won't even insure it. Geico was giving me problems insuring it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
fyi, my insurance quote for the GTR is double what it is for the M5. some places won't even insure it. Geico was giving me problems insuring it.
It looks like we live in the same city. My insurance for the GT-R is about $1,300 a year. I'm not sure what you have on your driving record and how old you are. :dunno:

Tom

·
Registered
90 Posts
It looks like we live in the same city. My insurance for the GT-R is about $1,300 a year. I'm not sure what you have on your driving record and how old you are. :dunno:

Tom
Hey Tom,

I'm 28 and my insurance for both Me + wife was only 1500 a year before (MB C55 + BMW X3).
I bought the M5 and it went up to almost 2000 a year

with the GTR i was quoted like $3800 a year somewhere else. Geico didn't even want to insure it. Clean record, 1 speeding ticket 5 years ago. That's the only ticket on my record ever. no DUIs, no Reckless... hell, no parking tickets ever.

I remember my insurance rates dropped around 25yrs old but I wonder what age do i get finally get put in the old man bracket :2:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Warranty is no longer void using LC to many times with the new software from Nissan I have a 2011 GTR and have LC3 its awesome 3500rpm and drops the clutch 0-60 in 2.9sec. Yes I do have some minor bolt on mods and tune to get my car that fast.

Cannot compare M5 and GTR they are completely two different beasts.

Here some flybys at the track for viewing enjoyment:

YouTube - Nissan GTR Back Straight @ Auto Club Speedway 11/2010.MOV

YouTube - Nissan GTR @ Auto Club Speeway 11/2010 Front Straight

·
Registered
655 Posts
Only problem with the GTR is that its ugly as Sh*t. Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I agree but its grown on me and it is the biggest attention whore on the road or anywhere I go its crazy.. :dunno: :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
LOVE the wheels!!!

I'm actually test driving one on Friday. I'm pumped!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree but its grown on me and it is the biggest attention whore on the road or anywhere I go its crazy.. :dunno: :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rabdog - In all honesty do you believe it is better than an E60 M5 as a daily and weekend track warrior?

I am looking to get in to track work once a month, nothing serious just a few laps here and there. Can you drive it as a daily without major service issues or wear and tear?

I dont know if I am sold on it, I like the M5 sound, and rear wheel drive...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Rabdog - In all honesty do you believe it is better than an E60 M5 as a daily and weekend track warrior?

I am looking to get in to track work once a month, nothing serious just a few laps here and there. Can you drive it as a daily without major service issues or wear and tear?

I dont know if I am sold on it, I like the M5 sound, and rear wheel drive...

M5aud I didnt drive my M5 daily nor my GTR daily they were my weekend Toy's to drive around town, Track days, and car meets. I had my M5 for 4-years and only put 20k miles on it so my opinion is a little biased for daily driving.

Its like really comparing apples and oranges one is a 4-Door Luxury Sport Sedan with 500hp and the other is a 2-Door Race Car designed to be the ultimate track car for half the cost of an exotic.

M5 was my dream car and my pride and joy however I got to a point where I wanted more and put a deposit on a 997 TTS while I was waiting for the car 4-months I test drove a GTR and it blew my socks off it had all the bells and whistles technology and also drivability. I took a chance with Nissan while people who dont know the car kind of laughed because i gave up a Porsche for this car but in my eyes I got everything I wanted for half the price and 100% happy with my decision.

As for wear and tear I have no issue's however only have 3k miles on it and have tracked it twice. The interior yes is not as superior as a Porsche or M5 but its 100% acceptable i have no complaints.

The main question you have is daily driver and I cannot really answer that question, but I have met few owners locally to me and they do drive them daily and love it heard no complaints except Nissan paint needs improvement.

2012 GTR is released April next year and they did a minor change in aerodynamics, improved interior, suspension, and increased the stock power to 530hp. The car is rated to do 0-60 in 3.0sec stock which is very impressive putting the quarter mile in low 11's.

My car modded right now does high 10's with just bolt ons exhaust intake and tune.

Anyways hope this helps any or at all..

I cant wait till the new F10 M5 is released this forced induction is a whole different ball game and the F10 should easily put our over 600hp with some minor mods.

·
Registered
655 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Porsche gets my vote for styling, but bang for buck the GTR is it for initial purchase price. Servicing etc Porsche is cheaper... So compliacted!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
ehhh, its a Nissan. 20 years from now, it will be a piece of junk ricer, just like all the ricers. I have yet to find a 20 year old ricer I can lust over, none whatsoever. Take a 22 year old M5, I guarantee you an adrenaline rush every time turn the key.

I mean no disrespect to the owners of the GTR, but you're on THE M5 board, we're a weee bit partial to the beast. Sorry. LOL!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I do appreciate your taste for white ;)

Avi8tir GT3 your is beautiful just drove a buddies 2010 and for NA motor its amazing performance very impressed!! Just need to get used to the rear engine drive almost lost looped it going hard into a hard right turn. :wroom:

Porsche gets my vote for styling, but bang for buck the GTR is it for initial purchase price. Servicing etc Porsche is cheaper... So compliacted!
M5aud yeah its complicated right there with ya good luck on your decision...

ehhh, its a Nissan. 20 years from now, it will be a piece of junk ricer, just like all the ricers. I have yet to find a 20 year old ricer I can lust over, none whatsoever. Take a 22 year old M5, I guarantee you an adrenaline rush every time turn the key.

I mean no disrespect to the owners of the GTR, but you're on THE M5 board, we're a weee bit partial to the beast. Sorry. LOL!
M5Jed I'm a hard core BMW Enthusiast and love my M5, but i'm just fortunate enough be able to afford both cars so I went for it to try something new especially for the track. As for a 22 year old M5 dont think it compares to todays BMW technology but they were ultimate machines for their time. Im here to give my opinion from both a owner of a E60 M5 and GTR and how they are completely two different machines and should not be really compared performance wise.

The new F10 will be in my Stable soon.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts