BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
That doesn't show me much....Im designing my own incorperating K&N filtering media, yes ram air to work after 50 MPH...are their any more pics????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gruppe M make parts with outstanding quality but are pricey...a buddy of mine has a Gruppe M intake and exhaust on his 355 and it sounds just like an F1 car!...they seem to use carbon kevlar in everything haha

·
Registered
766 Posts
there's also

the wallet felt horses, those that must be there 'cause you spent the money.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I'll let you all know when mine are done, a hell of a-lot cheaper....k&n good stuff..................

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fart said:
the dyno-but-o-meter.. is not a very reliable tool, but I would think that getting the loudest exhaust out there would also add many butt-felt-horses, but not that many real ones.
LOL Ok let's cut the bs with the dyno-but-o meter or wallet o meter, brain o meter, chick-o-meter...or whatever meter. How many real hp would you think it will add? BHP?
And how much would it cost?

·
Registered
376 Posts
unfoundhorsepower said:
That doesn't show me much....Im designing my own incorperating K&N filtering media, yes ram air to work after 50 MPH...are their any more pics????

Bahhh...E55's don't race after 50 mph! Won't do us any good there.

·
Registered
766 Posts
my guess

is that you might see 10 hp or so when you're traveling in excess of 80 mph(120 KPH?). The std intakes are probably restricted so that the car meets noise restrictions. Opening them up will add a little ram effect and likely some nice sounds.

I did a similar thing on my BMW m/c and it does the same as above except the absolute hp is maybe 4 or so on a 170 hp m/c, 2-3 %. HP gains are only above 80 or higher.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
The stock intakes are indeed a bit cramped. Not as badly as on the E39 though. We have already begun prototyping an intake on the E60 M5 on a couple of members cars. There is some perforamnce to be gained in this area, but alogn with everythign else in modern cars. It is getting harder and harder to accomplish.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
the butt-o-meter is easy to please. add some cabin rattle and presto- 25hp effect. add some exhaust drone - another 25hp...speed up the step motors that open the throttle bodies- count another 50hp.. go lower profile tires to introduce more trampling at speeds - that is worth another 25hp.. add some intake woosh - that is easy 20hp :hihi:

add kevlar to an overpriced cold air intake - it will make it bulletproof in case you feel taken and decide to pull your 45 acp when you realize that carbon fiber is an excellent heat-conductor and actually prolly rises the intake temps

2500 for intake. yes- its official. short of the ferrari folks the bmw owners must rank right up there in defining the term gullable. :goldcup:

now seriously, i think we as owners must be projecting the wrong image somehow.. even a crook as john hennessey would not dare to offer his proven-to-make hp dodge viper carbon airbox for more than $1500..

grrrrrrr

alex
few cars

·
Registered
249 Posts
GruppeM had some major problems with the 996 PorscheTT and the E46 M3. I would never put any of their products on my cars. My buddy installed the GruppeM intake on his E46 M3 ($1200 btw) and lost 5-6hp on the dyno.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts