BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took delivery of my '01 Royal Red/Caramel M5. I thought I would share a few observations and ask a few questions. So in no particular order...

The royal red is darker than I expected, but still beautiful.

The caramel interior is more orange than I expected, but not so much so that I'm upset.

The PDC is not so unattractive as to overpower its usefulness (i.e. I still recommend it).

This is the fastest car I've ever driven (no, I'm not a professional driver, it's just a personal observation)
It also stops amazingly fast and corners like something other than a 4000lb sedan. I'm planning on taking the M5 driving thing offered by BMW.

I heard the tires spin as I entered 4th gear. While this was impressive, I was surprised that the DSC didn't prevent that as it did thru gears 1-2-3 (yes, I was practically *trying* to trip the DSC). Any thoughts here would be appreciated.

On the 5500 RPM break-in limit...was that 1200 miles or 12 miles that I am supposed to wait?

Why did that Ford F-150 think he could hang with me, and why did he tailgate me shortly after being handed his ***?
FWIW, he started it...

In that vein, it's amazing how much you can do in 3rd gear. It's like the all-purpose gear.

Gearshift to the right and back is not reverse, but 6th gear (don't laugh, it's my first 6-speed). All the way left and up is reverse, just like it's marked (I've only made this mistake like three times tonight).

I didn't get to drive as much this afternoon/evening as I would have liked, but I'll be posting more thoughts and questions over the next few days I'm sure.

Thanks to everyone on this board for all the prepurchase/predelivery input.

-jay

'00 528i (now the wife has it to herself)
'01 Royal Red/Caramel M5 (grrrr!)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Congratulations. Let me tell you, it only gets better from here. I know, it's hard to believe. Treat her right and she'll do the same.

Congrats again, and be good during the break-in (feels like an eternity)!

Happy turkey,
--Dan

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Congratulations enjoy it as much as you can life is tooooooo short to drive slow

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congratulations, take it as it is... You'll be surprised how long the satisfaction to drive and enjoy a M5 can be. I've got my M5 now over a Year and I'm still in Love with my beast.

·
Registered
159 Posts
First of all, congratultaions to your new toy! Then IMHO I don't think it's possible to get a wheel spin going from 3rd to 4th gear on dry asphalt, with or without DSC. I've experienced an amazing grip in my tyres. Could it have been something else? Have fun in the future!

//Stefan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sure felt like it was wheel-spin, but I cannot be certain. The asphalt was dry and I don't think there was gravel on the road.

While I'm not going to make a concerted effort to recreate the situation, if it happens again, I'll post details.

-jay

in reply to:

First of all, congratultaions to your new toy! Then IMHO I don't think it's possible to get a wheel spin going from 3rd to 4th gear on dry asphalt, with or without DSC. I've experienced an amazing grip in my tyres. Could it have been something else? Have fun in the future!
//Stefan

·
Registered
412 Posts
Congratulations Jay!

You have a whole lot of fun and enjoyment ahead of you. Wait until you get the beast on a long twisty road; it's intoxicating (and not recommended for passengers)!

You were right about the break-in period; it's 12 miles.

John

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm up to 30 miles now, and I'm noticing that the DSC light comes on a lot. Specifically, when I take off with any amount of zeal, it comes on going into second and usually third.

For what it's worth, I'm not trying to *blast* off the line, I'm just trying to accellerate at a reasonable pace.

Does that mean that I'm shifting improperly, or does this happen for everyone?

Thanks in advance (again)

-jay

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
First congratulations on joing the fastest four door sedan club.
I just wanted to mention that the first service is 1200 miles and not 12 miles. The dealer tells you and there is a sticker on the top left side on your wind shield that mentions that. I don't think its bad to floor it i think you should follow what BMW recomends in the break-in period.
secondly, you experianced nothing of the true power and performance of this car. I found my car slow after the first service. The engine was just soo tight and couldn't deliever to meet my expectaions which upseted me. Anyway, my car has 12,000 miles now and performes so much different that it isn't even a joke! i can blow any E55 or porsche easily.
Lastly, your DSC lights always turn on and actually cut off when u shift fast up to fourth to prevent the wheels form spinning. It even comes on when u go over bumps which makes it too sensitive (the only disadvantage in my opnion) so turn the damn thing off!

*Hint* keep your RPM at 1000 and release it while feeding the throttle is the best way to launch the beast. Info from Motor Trend Dec. 1999 issue

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congratulations-

Anything that causes the tires to lose traction will cause the DSC to light up, sand, water, etc. However, it pays to learn to shift this little hummer properly before you burn the clutch. Lots of torque at work here.

About the break in period. I had great intentions when I pulled off the dealers lot about behaving myself until 1200 miles. However, I actually think my unofficial break in period was about as long as the other guys on this site- 12 miles.

It is amazing though how much the engine in this car loosens up after the first service interval, 1200 miles. I have had other high performance cars before, but none of them had this characteristic to this degree. It's like it adds another 75 -100 hp after everthing seats in.

Have a good time and enjoy your M5. Its a great car.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you're planning on keeping the car for a while, then you ought to heed the break-in guidelines carefully. You should not have that pedal to the floor, the manual specifies that. In general, if you're seeing that DSC flash at all during break in, then you are not paying attention where the manual has told you to avoid "spirited driving". Beat on it and you'll probably see excessive oil consumption for life. Contain yourself for 1200 miles and you'll have components properly seated, and a nice tight engine. By the way, the manual also says after 1200 miles you should still take a little time to work your way up to demanding maximum performance from the engine. Sorry if that sounds like a lecture from your Dad. A lot of people on this board seem to be able to use and toss cars like this twice yearly if they choose. That's fine. But if you're going to keep it awhile...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I've had my M5 for two days and only 100 miles so far. It was raining today and that led me to wonder how the M5 does in the rain.

How does the M5 perform in the rain relative to other similarly sized cars? I don't hesitate to drive my wife's 528 or my Ford Explorer in the rain, but I don't know what to expect of the M5.

Any relevant experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
-jay

PS: for those who cautioned me to relax for the first 1200 miles, I am doing much better now.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It drives like the 528, except that with the limited-slip diff the DSC won't clobber the power quite so quickly as it would in an open-diff 528.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts