BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!! I hate stupid people!

Ok, I am really pissed at the moment... I lent my brother my car because he "Had to run an errand that pertained to me..." which i knew was total BS. About 3 hours later, he comes back to my room to return my keys, and walks away without saying a single thing... I didnt really understand why, but i didnt care, because i was in a hurry to get to the market to buy some food. All of a sudden, i start my car, and my thermometer reads -40* i figured the temp sensor was knocked loose (i had this problem before, and knew exactly how to fix it...) so i crouch down under my passenger side... to my surprise, there is a large 3 inch crack going up my bumper!!! i look underneath, and there are no rock guards or skid plates anywhere, and my thermometer is no where to be found!!! I ran to my brothers room to ask him WTF he did to my car...

Apparently its MY FAULT that i leave the car in gear when its not running, and apparently he didnt know and let out the clutch with the car in gear after he started it, jolting the car forward onto an 8 inch curb!!!!

I'm so pissed right now.... Luckily my friend is a technician at Open Road BMW in Edison NJ, and for an oem m5 bumper, new rock guards, skid plate, temp sensor, and having the bumper painted, it will only cost me $850 and a couple bottles of polish vodka.....

Dont trust anyone with your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!! I hate stupid people!

Sorry, but i just had to vent...

Anyway, i tried running a search for a thread that i saw a few months ago...
It had something about ACS Flipper/Splitter replicas that someone from canada was producing was selling on ebay... Does anyone know where i can contact this guy? I remember the going price for the replicas was $300, and since im getting a good deal on automotive paint, i figured i might aswell buy the splitters and use the leftover paint on them... Thanks.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

Apparently, your brother must not drive a manual transmission much? I ALWAYS leave the car in gear when parked. Some say reverse but I use first as well. I hope he is willing to pay for it. A relative doing this is tough because a friend can always become an ex-friend after messing things up :)

I've heard a saying, "There are two things you don't loan out, your wife and your car". Good luck getting it fixed.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

I had the roughly the same issue happen with a neighbor...he asked if he could sit in my car and then he started it up and put a dent in my garage at my parents house because he didnt take it out of gear and tried to put it on me...same as your brother.

I told him, if you cant figure out that a manual transmission car is in gear before you start it, you should obviously not be in the drivers seat

·
Registered
60 Posts

Richard in NC said:
I ALWAYS leave the car in gear when parked. Some say reverse but I use first as well.
I always park in second gear, not enough power there to make it jolt hard.

Eviltommy,

Get the spliters if you can, they are awesome and really make a difference. I haven't seen pictures that can truely justify the real beauty of 'em.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

My car's battery died within the first year of having it (she didn't like to sit around much) and the BMW roadside assistance person didn't notice it was left in 1st, and managed to put a nice fat dent in the fridge in the garage. Luckily the only blemish on the M5 was a small hole in the 3M clear bra. But seriously, if anything happened to the car.. I would have torn him a new one (on top of having his company pay for anything new...)

·
Registered
651 Posts

The same thing happened to me...AT THE DEALER.. driven into a tool box by a mechanic.

·
Registered
767 Posts

EvilTommy said:
Dont trust anyone with your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone making this mistake must not have experience with a manual, or is just stupid. Anyway, the least you should do is made him pay the repair price or kick his ***.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something here, but don't you have to have the clutch ALL THE WAY IN, to turn the car over ?? I know that I do on a 2003.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thats a tough one, hope your bro does the right thing. You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family.

·
Registered
214 Posts

I'm with ya El_mono..I was just assuming the 'tards these guys let in their car let the clutch out after starting it without realizing the car was in gear.ouich

El_Mono said:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but don't you have to have the clutch ALL THE WAY IN, to turn the car over ?? I know that I do on a 2003.

·
Registered
152 Posts

EvilTommy said:
I'm so pissed right now.... Luckily my friend is a technician at Open Road BMW in Edison NJ, and for an oem m5 bumper, new rock guards, skid plate, temp sensor, and having the bumper painted, it will only cost me $850 and a couple bottles of polish vodka.....
Well, you have really good techinician ;) who know what`s good :cheers:
but dont let him fix your car after that couple of bottles :hihi:
cherrsagai

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

///Mysliwiec said:
Well, you have really good techinician ;) who know what`s good :cheers:
but dont let him fix your car after that couple of bottles :hihi:
cherrsagai

Hej! Jak tam? Moja matka pochodzi z Rzeszowa. Mam tam wojka ktory mieszka kolo TESCO. Moj tata ma para oszrodkow i sanatorium w Biesczadach, hotel w krakowie, i hotel w warszawie. Milo cie poznac :byebye:

Update: My brother said he'll pay me for most of the damage done. As for the splitters, i took the plunge and bought a set of Hamann splitters AND an ACS Diffuser.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts

charronegro said:
I always park in second gear, not enough power there to make it jolt hard.

QUOTE]

I usually park Not in Gear unless on a hill. If so, I use second also for the same reason. I try not to use reverse, so if downhill, I turn wheels into curb. When I start a car, always CLUTCH IN, CHECK SHIFT LEVER FOR NEUTRAL by hitting it a couple of time left to right. I do that every time, every manual transmission car, just part of starting a car to me. So far, I haven't become one of the "stupid people"..... ouich
Regards,
Jerry

·
Banned
99 Posts

Recently my GF bought a stick 330Ci convertible. She had only driven automatics before. Anyway, I moved her car into the garage late one night
and left it in first as I always do. I woke up at 6 am the next morning to a large "CRACK!!!", walk into the kitchen and see the front of a bmw protuding into
the house!!! Not funny at the time, but funny as hell thinking back on it.
Amazingly only dented up the front license plate. Otherwise, not a scratch on the car! Luckily she learned her lesson without hurting anyone or doing serious damage. She was grrrrrrr at me though for a couple days! ha ha.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Biggest post title ever in a thread....

I'm sorry, but if you dont know what gear you are in, whether you are moving or not, you shouldnt be driving a manual. My car is always in gear when it is parked (ever seen a BMW ebrake fail? I sure have, and gravity is a harsh mistress in San Francisco), and it gets started in gear with the clutch in. Never once have I done that in my life! I've seen my friends do it, and it makes me wonder where there heads are at. I would allow a stick newbie to make the mistake once, but after that it is time to pay more attention to how you are operating the vehicle.
Sorry to hear about that EvilTommy.
:cheers:

·
Registered
99 Posts
That story brought back memorys of me as a kid messing about with a friend in his fathers garage. My friend started his dads 92' 525 but he didn't know that it had been left in first gear so it took a big dart towards the garage wall infront of the car, luckily (for him) he managed to hit the brake in time and shut off the car :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Dude, totally sucks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts