BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been playing around with the coilovers with my different wheels, spacers so on. Here are some pics, some you may have seen some are new, Im still debating front toe/camber settings in front. I need to take some w/o the turbine covers on, too...soon.
Which do you prefer?

ACS 17x9 17x10

Style 5's 18x8 18x9

OEM

Turbines 17x8 17x9

Im rollin the turbines hard right now, looks killer low and with the stagger in the back, I took out the fin inside the turbine in the rears to make the center sit in further to make it look deeper.

:cheers:

·
10,456 Posts
i'm a big fan of the turbines, but i don't know if i like them the best with the car that low. (it's a little low for my taste).

Have toyed with the idea of doing the GC set up, what spring rates are you running, and how is the ride/handling.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm a big fan of the turbines, but i don't know if i like them the best with the car that low. (it's a little low for my taste).

Have toyed with the idea of doing the GC set up, what spring rates are you running, and how is the ride/handling.
car doesnt feel low at all, it does when you get out but front control arms are level with no reverse travel at all, Im still thinking what specs I want to set the front camber to. I opted for the camber plates as well. Also kept the SLS in the rear, just had them weld the hats on the SLS shocks, had the fronts shortened with Konis. Konis are on full stiff right now, feels good, when on full soft it's a little stiffer than stock, much more responsive, probably because it's 3in lower.

Fronts are 430lbs and rears are 250lbs, that's about what they said the SLS will handle safely w/o blowing.

When the rear SLS goes out Ill probably get Konis all around.

·
Registered
58 Posts
turbines are winners. i would raise the rear a bit.

any wheels for sale? i'm in san diego and aching to buy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
way too low for my tastes, but i love all of your wheels!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Looks like my Alpina from the rear (with engine off). With SLS fitted, mine will raise up an inch or so once the engine is running, is the case with yours?

Very interested in Ground Control or KW experiences if anyone has them?

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Couldn't run a car that low and have fun on UK country roads imho, which would make it of little use to me as I'm no track god. But it's probably all different Stateside anyway. Like all the wheels, but prefer 17".

Think E34 is good with 18" M-paras, but otherwise looks good with contemporary wheel sizes, and there should be unsprung weight/ride benefits with the smaller wheels :thumbsup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like my Alpina from the rear (with engine off). With SLS fitted, mine will raise up an inch or so once the engine is running, is the case with yours?

Very interested in Ground Control or KW experiences if anyone has them?

Cheers,

Dave.
it doesnt, I have my clamp turned so it's down all the way, I know what you're talking about though. I had my car on ramps while I turned the clamp attached to the sway bar and it dropped down like I was on airbags.

No experiences with KW but they seem simialar except you can get custom spring rates with the GC and they lower the hats on the strut with shortened adjustable Konis, not sure if they do that with the KW's. They are about 1k more inexpensive, too. Both use Koni adjustables.

I do plan on raising it up two turns each corner, then maybe a corner balancing for final ride height. It does sit level, fronts are spaced out 15mm for a final ET5 in front, the rear appears lower because of the lower rear wheel arch....I do like me some tuck:cheers:

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Which little added lip?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
He removed the fin on the rears so the turbine sits further in resulting in a little lip, not the best english explanation:haha:

Lantz

·
Registered
481 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are one of the BBS rims rather than Style 5's aren't they?

In any case, the car looks great, sitting nice and low, it looks mean. Out of all of the above wheels, I think that the turbine suits the best, but I think that ACS III's would look perfect on your car.

John

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
He removed the fin on the rears so the turbine sits further in resulting in a little lip, not the best english explanation:haha:

Lantz
???

Isn't that what staggered rims always look like?

·
10,456 Posts
???

Isn't that what staggered rims always look like?
the lip is more pronounced in the above pictures. The original poster took the inner 'fan blade' out, the part behind the turbine cover. This makes the turbine cover sit closer to the inner wheel spokes (the black 5 spoke part), so the lip appears thicker, by about an inch or so.

Reduces the functional cooling of the wheel cover assembly.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You can run 275 in the back without problems on 18"s but if the car is lowered there could be an issue. I suppose it also depends on ET.

Lantz

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
the lip is more pronounced in the above pictures. The original poster took the inner 'fan blade' out, the part behind the turbine cover. This makes the turbine cover sit closer to the inner wheel spokes (the black 5 spoke part), so the lip appears thicker, by about an inch or so.

Reduces the functional cooling of the wheel cover assembly.
doesn't really look much different from normal IMO

Are we talking about the front and back or just the back?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts