BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

most posts I have found on this were based on cold startups, rattle sounds, or other issues, but I have not seen or heard, or read about this kind of issue. This might have been covered somewhere on here before so apologies if it has been.

Here is a link to a vid where you can hear the sound my engine is making on startup. It happens exactly when the engine catches, 50% of the time when I start the car. It doesn't matter what time of day, or if the engine is cold or warmed up.

BMW 2002 E39 M5 Grindy Screech Sound on Startup - YouTube

Is this a bad starter motor?

·
Registered
750 Posts
The answer is yes.

You could attempt to clean the starter as some have done on here, or simply replace it. In either case it has to come off the car....If you do nothing it will slowly worsen and there is concern you'll start to chip teeth on the flywheel which would necessitate its replacement too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you, had a feeling but I wanted to make sure. Now I am hoping it didn't chip teeth on the flywheel because this has been happening for a quite a while now.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You're probably fine. Mine was like that for nearly 4 weeks before I could replace it and amazingly the flywheel teeth looked good. Nevertheless the BMW SB on this insists on inspecting the flywheel so I guess it can happen if you leave it long enough. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea unfortunately mine has been like that for almost a year (kill me I know). Having it checked this week, and I will definitely have them insect the flywheel as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Any word back on this? My car makes the same sound. I found if I dont try to turn it over for too long, I dont get the sound. Even a quarter second to long will cause the sound. I only hold it just long enough for the engine to catch.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Any word back on this? My car makes the same sound. I found if I dont try to turn it over for too long, I dont get the sound. Even a quarter second to long will cause the sound. I only hold it just long enough for the engine to catch.
This sound could also be a worn dual mass flywheel. I had this situation with my 2003 M-sport 540i. Start with the inspection of the starter first, if it's fine then I would imagine it is in the DMF.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can use a scope to look at the flywheel to see if the teeth are OK. I'd imagine that it's a starter motor or starter bearings and not the flywheel. When the engine turns on/catches, the starter disengages, and that's when you're hearing the sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts