BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had the car towed to BMW, drove over a speed bump at about 4klms grinded over the speed bump in the middle of the car near where I have the centre muffler on my magnaflow exhaust system. Once coming off the speed bump which was a minimal grind/scrub I noticed the whole drivetrain feeling like metal on metal or plastic grinding... Noise was horrific, Now I didnt slam or bang on the speed hump yet it is making this really horrible rotational grinding sound and the car is feeling though it has to push itself to move. Cant drive above 40klms as it feels like something is going to fly off under the car, checked under the car, no plastic rubbing anywhere or leaks of any kind.

What the hell is it? I thought it could be the centre muffler pushed in to the driveshaft and the driveshaft is rubbing hard on the exhaust.....

Anyone been through this, feels like the rear diff has skipped a tooth and is out of whack, thought it was the gearbox gearing but it seriously cannot be the gearbox. I rubbed past the gearbox more closer to the diff and half way in the passenger seat...

Absolutely dumbfound on this one.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No issues with the gearbox going in to Reverse or any gear for that matter, engine sounds normal and power is still there but the car is rubbing hard on something that I cant get it past 40klms

·
Registered
473 Posts
Could your muffler have been pressed against your driveshaft?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was right, the exhaust had pushed the heat shield on to the driveshaft. All sorted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts