BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with this gremlin? As I approached my car, I unlocked it and noticed the flashers were a bit delayed from the normal unlocking sequence.
Then upon starting the car, the external hazards/flashers come in and won't go off. Neither turn signal worked. Turn car off and back on and same. Then drive home looking like a completely unaware baffoon, and they go off suddenly. The hazard button on the console wouldn't respond during this episode either.

Any thoughts or just chalk it up to another gremlin?
TripleD

·
Registered
530 Posts
3D:

No idea on that one. Does it do it with both Key Fobs?

Just a thought, not a brilliant one though....

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I would keep tabs on it and see if it does it again. It might be a small gremlin that haunts the E39. I had a gremlin with the drivers side power seat in mine where the controls wouldnt work, and the steering wheel wouldnt go back down after I started. Did it twice in 3 years, and the second time I took it in. Dealership didnt find any faults, so something like this might be something that you might have to tolerate unless you can bring it to a dealer while it is happening.
:cheers:

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
tripleD said:
Anyone familiar with this gremlin? As I approached my car, I unlocked it and noticed the flashers were a bit delayed from the normal unlocking sequence.
Then upon starting the car, the external hazards/flashers come in and won't go off. Neither turn signal worked. Turn car off and back on and same. Then drive home looking like a completely unaware baffoon, and they go off suddenly. The hazard button on the console wouldn't respond during this episode either.

TripleD
My car did exactly the same thing a few weeks ago (2001 model, July 01 build date). I couldn't get them to go off either, so what I did was shut the car off; get out and close the door; lock it with the key; unlock it; start it up. Everything was fine at that point. Hasn't happened since. :confused2

·
Registered
272 Posts
tripleD said:

TripleD
Something very similar happened to me about a year ago, like they were possessed. It's been fine ever since, if it happens again maybe you can try an exorcism.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
tripleD;
That's never happened to my M5 but my '99 540i did the exact thing twice. The reset that CSBM5 mentioned worked but I was 5 blocks from the dealer the 2nd time. They replaced a security sensor and it was fine afterwards.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
tripleD said:

TripleD
TripleD,

I have had the exact same thing occur to me recently. The only way to correct it is turn the car off and lock it with the remote. Unlock with the remote and it clears the issue.

It is one of two things; did you happen to accidentally keep the key fob depressed in your pocket? You know, other keys, knife or coins could be pressed against one of the buttons causing the car to go into panic mode?

The other idea would be that the alarm has gone off and this is the way of BMW letting you know the alarm was triggered while you were away.

Mark

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
This was just discussed a few weeks back on this board. Happened to me a few times, can only get it to go away by shutting the car off, sometimes it requires that you arm the alarm with the remote and reunlock the car. If you catch it before you get in the car, that's all it needs. It went away for me after a couple of battery replacements and Inspection I.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Gremlins? I got gremlins..... I had stuff go just like the others, but I had the radio go blank (no sound on any station) then the engine shut off twice within minutes. That was about a year ago. The worst incident was about three or four months ago when while driving at night. All of the lights (inside and out), nav display, etc. all started to flash on and off at random sequence and then the engine started losing power. Lucky I was able to pull off the road before the engine shout down. Moments later I restarted the car and have not had any problems so far. Weird MoJo here. The Dealer could not find any problems, natch. And you think your car is possessed..... :7:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts