BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the tip, I ran in again with the car running. All is well. I guess I’ll have to wait for then fault again. Unless I can run a few Ista tests. Can you tell I’m new to Ista lol

·
Registered
753 Posts
You have 3 faults, the boxes in brown have codes, seems like there are 4 modules but hard to see with glare. Have fun.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You have 3 faults, the boxes in brown have codes, seems like there are 4 modules but hard to see with glare. Have fun.
The fault memory seems to only show one code unless the glare is distorting the number. Truenorth, what pops up when you click “Display fault memory” in the bottom right on the module tree screen? That should show all your active codes at once.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Right, my bad it looked like a 3 to me.
You can also click on each module and read the codes and do tests. For help on ISTA best to watch a few YT videos.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry about the glare. Yeah it looks like those modules are yellow, With the glare but they are green. After I read your post I ran the text again. All green accept the KGM module which is the side folding mirror that Was welded in place. Otherwise everything green for now until the gremlin strikes again. Thanks again for all the help. I’ve been YouTubing as much as possible.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So as luck would have it the gremlin appeared today after clearing codes. One is KGM side mirror issue which in known. Here’s the other 45 lol, to me it looks like a DSC comm error still, thoughts ????? I will be busy googling ! Thanks in advance for the help
51B50FE9-6829-4718-9846-5DC768778735.jpeg

·
Registered
753 Posts
Just skimming through the codes and the fact that it is so intermittent, it seems like you have some bad wiring that is affecting communications across the network. As I've mentioned elsewhere, there are major looming issues given how bad both the black wire loom insulation and standard wire insulation is on the car. Seems Iike you are running an K+DAN cable and not an ICOM correct? ICOM would be able to show you voltage at 2 places in the system on ISTA.

·
Registered
753 Posts
only a couple of these errors are "current". Describe when the lights all popped up. Upon startup or after? While driving?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It’s always on startup randomly, as this gremlin has progressed it’s caused the car to stall on occasion after startup. Car runs through every error light and I drive will have a host of messages. After I restart the car all is normal except a few lingering lights that I either clear or eventually go away. If I knew how to post a video I would.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Truenorth
i can add my 2 cents if you don't mind.
I was having exactly the same issue with my 07 M6 a while ago and it turned out to be the battery cable connection under the hood. It was the red junction box used for booster cables.There is a battery cable that comes from the trunk and another cable that goes to the alternator connected together.Also there is another connection which can get loose and cause same problems and it is further down towards the drivers side engine head and down to the alternator. all the problem i had was with the positive wires and not with the ground. See attached pics.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks MK ultra, I didn’t see any attached pics to your post but the info is very helpful, can you describe in a bit more detail as well because I’m gonna take a look at it as it’s possibly the same thing. In the end you said it was the positive terminal area heading down to the alternator? Thanks pls post pic If you meant to as well pls would be a big help

·
Registered
753 Posts
There was also a recall that should have been done on all cars to address the positive battery cable junction to the main power feed in the trunk. You car might not have had that done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks MK ultra, I didn’t see any attached pics to your post but the info is very helpful, can you describe in a bit more detail as well because I’m gonna take a look at it as it’s possibly the same thing. In the end you said it was the positive terminal area heading down to the alternator? Thanks pls post pic If you meant to as well pls would be a big help
Trying to post pics but no success.
FE2419F1-5D77-403C-9C3D-8BB0C29CA6C6.jpeg
13DE63A9-3522-4FA3-9787-E6F4B0D4255E.jpeg
trying to post pics. Let’s see if this works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks yep those are def good pics!
First picture. check the connection in the red box. On my car all the bolts holding the wires were loose And my symptoms were exactly the same as yours. As for the second picture, that wire connects where you see the pen tip and goes down to the alternator. Apparently there was an issue with that wire on early cars. I have seen a write up about it here but you have to search for it. Hope this helps.
Mike.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Be careful with any ratchets or wrenches, especially on that jump start terminal bolt. If that wrench touches any metal part of the car sparks will fly.

You can take the extra precaution of disconnecting the negative battery terminal so the car isn’t live.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I checked the negative cable going down to the junction , and voila it was some how corroded?? Cleaned it up and cleared codes...althoughISTA was being a pain. Will ista clear All codes with the car running ? It keeps asking me halfway during clearing to shut off the car and remove the key. Anyway that’s a step in the right direction. Next step may be to replace the entire cable.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I’m pretty sure that’s a 12v positive cable. On the other side of that connection it goes to a red wire that leads to the rear of the wire harness bridge and another plastic coated nut which goes to the starter. The nut is insulated for a reason. They are 12v positive. Don’t assume polarity based on color of the insulation or sheathing.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts