BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of this story is true and how much is "poetic license" I don't know, but I thought it was funny.

I was in the pub last night when my friend told me about an experience he had in a Lotus esprit. This was quite a few years ago when the build quality was ... not so great and the short shift gearbox was extremely easy to put into 3rd when you meant to go into 5th (I think you can see where this is going). He was the passenger in the car and the driver was really going for it. Then disaster, he goes to change into 5th and well, you can guess what happened next. The car completely locked up and started to go into a high-speed spin at over 100 mph. Now the Lotus esprit has a fibreglass body, and with the G forces being generated by the spin, bits started to fall off. The bonnet, the doors (!) and various parts of the engine all flying off the car. My friend, who was wearing his seatbelt, got completely thrown out of the car, still in his seat, and over the crash barrier, down a muddy slope and into a river at the bottom! This knocked him unconscious and when he came around he was like, "Whoa! I'm still alive!". He clawed his way up the bank and looked over the crash barrier at the road to see all the bits of the car spread over about 2 miles. Apparently it looked like it had been hit by a cruise missile. And walking down the road is the driver of the car, picking up various bits of the bodywork. When my friend asked him what he was doing, he said "I lost my shoe"!

After I heard this story last night I said "****! I'm surprised you remembered half of that after being knocked unconscious" and he said, "I do remember one thing for certain, that water was bloody freezing!" :hihi:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts