BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When we purchased our 2008 550i, the Logic 7 sound system that came with the car was better than other cars in the same class. But it wasn’t awesome. Having experienced BSW’s impressive products in the past, I knew it was time to call on them for help. Of course, they had a perfect solution.

I was initially concerned that doing just a speaker upgrade would not yield significant improvements. In fact, I was concerned that we would have to install an amplifier to see an improvement in the sound quality at all. BSW advised us to go the Stage 1 route with merely a speaker upgrade. I have to say, they were right!

No matter what source the audio is coming from, whether it be an MP3 player, CD, Satellite radio, HD radio, or FM/AM radio stations, the sound quality is phenomenal. All of the sound coming from the mid and high speakers is more crisp and tight than before. The BSW speaker response is much improved over the stock speakers. And one of the best attributes of this upgrade is that no one knows it’s there unless I tell them.

If you have doubts over whether this speaker upgrade is worthwhile, then you should hear it. It sells itself. Having worked at a home theater store for several years, I've heard many high-end sound systems. I wouldn’t recommend this upgrade to anyone unless I was very impressed by it.

- Brian

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much was just the Stage I speaker upgrade?

·
Junior Member, warming up (
393 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much was just the Stage I speaker upgrade?
$590. You can get more info at bavsound.com.
Yours would be slightly more assuming your sig says "All options" I assume you have Logic7. The extra 3 speakers, including center channel, adds $110 to the price.

Logic7 are 699.99 but they receive 11 speakers instead of 8. We do offer discounts and free shipping for M5board members ;)

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Is the subwoofer upgraded as well in the Logic7 package? Also, do you feel that an upgraded amplifier will additionally improve sound output/quality?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Yours would be slightly more assuming your sig says "All options" I assume you have Logic7. The extra 3 speakers, including center channel, adds $110 to the price.

Logic7 are 699.99 but they receive 11 speakers instead of 8. We do offer discounts and free shipping for M5board members ;)
Cool, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I did this upgrade as well and it is worth it. Although, I think it needs an upgraded amp to be able to push the speakers a little louder.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The door panels need to be removed to swap speakers, I'm guessing. How involved is the speaker replacement project?

·
Registered
473 Posts
For the M5, the directions from BSW are very good. It took me about 2 hrs to do all the speakers. The rears and front center are 5 minutes a piece. The rear doors are 15 to 20 minutes a piece since there is no air bag to disconnect. The front doors are a little more tricky. I did not follow the instructions to a tee and propped up the panels on a box therefore not unwrapping any additional wires. This gives enough clearance to swap the mid range and the tweeter.
From an audio perspective, for me, the resulting sound was well worth the time and money.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I disconnected the battery so i could get the front door panels off. it was too much to balance the door panel, the speakers, the sound deadening, and a blow dryer to heat the deadening. not a big deal.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Guys, Halston said I can mention this here as well but BSW is offering a group buy for this speaker upgrade package. The details are on this thread on E60.net: BSW Stage 1 Group Buy - Logic7 & Standard - E60 - E60 Forums

Basically if we can get 10 or more buyers, we'll get 20% off. So far we have 4-5 people on E60.net already.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
How long ago did you buy your kit? And can you give us some feedback?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Are you on the payroll there? I've seen this word-for-word post on several of the forums i visit (example: bimmerfest). Not saying you don't have the system, and that it is not a good system, but I'd be surprised if you're not getting anything out of this massive internet marketing effort.

When we purchased our 2008 550i, the Logic 7 sound system that came with the car was better than other cars in the same class. But it wasn’t awesome. Having experienced BSW’s impressive products in the past, I knew it was time to call on them for help. Of course, they had a perfect solution.

I was initially concerned that doing just a speaker upgrade would not yield significant improvements. In fact, I was concerned that we would have to install an amplifier to see an improvement in the sound quality at all. BSW advised us to go the Stage 1 route with merely a speaker upgrade. I have to say, they were right!

No matter what source the audio is coming from, whether it be an MP3 player, CD, Satellite radio, HD radio, or FM/AM radio stations, the sound quality is phenomenal. All of the sound coming from the mid and high speakers is more crisp and tight than before. The BSW speaker response is much improved over the stock speakers. And one of the best attributes of this upgrade is that no one knows it’s there unless I tell them.

If you have doubts over whether this speaker upgrade is worthwhile, then you should hear it. It sells itself. Having worked at a home theater store for several years, I've heard many high-end sound systems. I wouldn’t recommend this upgrade to anyone unless I was very impressed by it.

- Brian

·
Registered
7,359 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I think it is worth the money, especially at 20% off. I installed mine over the holidays. The install is pretty straight forward. It does have a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Satellite Radio still sounds crappy but HD and CD's sound really clear. The volume can be turned up to maximum with little to no distortion. Although, this is how it should have came from the factory.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts