BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great drive on Sunday, good weather in London and I needed a blast.

Spent 15 minutes in a traffic jam next to an old Ford (Mustang?) GT350.

White with two blue stripes and just down right beautiful. Obscenely good nick for an old car. Sounded like nothing I've ever heard in person before, like anvil engineering or something.

I kind of recognised it but have no idea why, I get the distinct impression these are a bit special. Legendary ? or just plain desirable ?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Carrol Shelby took Mustangs back in that era and modded the heck out of them, and make the GT series. Akin to Dinan S2 M5's and S3's. Did the car look something like the one in this picture? Really cool old cars, with a lot of grunt and the sound to back it all up.
:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly !!

And yes thats where I saw another on Sunday night GT4 ....:1:

I was in a Dodge Charger then though.

Why dosent GT4 have and E39 M5 :grrrr:

·
Registered
540 Posts
stumbo said:
Great drive on Sunday, good weather in London and I needed a blast.

Spent 15 minutes in a traffic jam next to an old Ford (Mustang?) GT350.

White with two blue stripes and just down right beautiful. Obscenely good nick for an old car. Sounded like nothing I've ever heard in person before, like anvil engineering or something.

I kind of recognised it but have no idea why, I get the distinct impression these are a bit special. Legendary ? or just plain desirable ?
To expand a bit further...

Carroll Shelby did infact tune stock mustangs of the day. The normal A code mustang (289 cubes, 225 hp) was tweaked (289 cubes, 306 hp) with some added ground effects, rear gear change and better handling. A perfectly restored 65 or 66 GT350 will fetch about the same as a 2003 M5 right now.

I love the old muscle car sounds, like putting kelleners on the M.

al

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was *mint* condition.

What supprised me was the tiny exhaust pipes. I couldn't beleive how small they were for a car sounding like it had the power you've just confirmed.

Just goes to prove it aint the size of your pipe its the sound it makes when your using it.... hmmm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just try stopping one! My dad had a standard 289 1969 mustang and I nearly bought a green fastback (as in Bullit) The test drive scared me to death, it was quick but the brakes are terrible, you would not want to build up any speed for fear of having to stop! Still one of the best looking cars ever.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you what you saw was a real GT-350 you were looking at potnetially a $100K+ depending on what the condition of it was. Those are very hard to find and I would say more rare than a Gt-500 Shelby. But then it could have been a mockup of a Gt-350. Did you talk to the guy who was driving it?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, it was in London just coming onto one of the roundabouts under the M4 flyover being driven by someone not looking completely unlike J Leno, but how likely is that :rolleyes: (with an English accent :biggrin:). Didn't say much, I just complimented him on the car and he seemed very happy for the comment.

He was taking it easy, window down in the slow lane.

I've spent plenty of time around old Bentleys & Maserats as well as kit cars and replicas and recon I can tell the fake article given time (don't we all). I had lots of time and it really looked the part.

However it was *mint* which raises suspicion.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Wow, I just realized in your last post where you saw it. London? Geez, that car is a long way from home. That must be one heck of a Mustang enthusiast.
GT350's are very nice, but my favorite old Shelby tuned 'Stang was a GT500KR I saw at an auction. lovelove
:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts