BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All.

So, had the beast for a few weaks now. Loving every minute of it. Put about 3000Km on it already.(big commute).

I live on a gravel road, but only about 1 Km to get to pavement. My driveway is gravel as well, and very long (1/2 Km). They were going to pave the road this year, but might not be till next year now.......

Needless to say I drive very slow on the gravel to avoid stone chips and dirt. However those big fat tires still throw up a lot of dust no matter what.

I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but has anyone put mud flaps on the beast? If so, what does it look like???

I hate to do such a thing, but would like some input. I can always just resign to the fact and get paint touch-ups every couple of years. No problem with that,but the car still gets dirty quick. Like keeping the beast looking good you know.....

Thanks for your help.
Vic

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well how about paving the gravel road instead? Might be cheaper than touchup painting :)

vvanherk said:
Hey All.

So, had the beast for a few weaks now. Loving every minute of it. Put about 3000Km on it already.(big commute).

I live on a gravel road, but only about 1 Km to get to pavement. My driveway is gravel as well, and very long (1/2 Km). They were going to pave the road this year, but might not be till next year now.......

Needless to say I drive very slow on the gravel to avoid stone chips and dirt. However those big fat tires still throw up a lot of dust no matter what.

I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but has anyone put mud flaps on the beast? If so, what does it look like???

I hate to do such a thing, but would like some input. I can always just resign to the fact and get paint touch-ups every couple of years. No problem with that,but the car still gets dirty quick. Like keeping the beast looking good you know.....

Thanks for your help.
Vic

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Yes, BMW offers mud flaps for the 5 series. While I would not put them on my car given my driving circumstances, they sound like a good option for you. They are not ugly and a couple members actually prefer them on their car. They basically fit right around the rear fender liner and are only noticeable from the rear of the fender where you can see the skirt hanging down a bit. I am sure some members have some pictures they can share with you. I would definately say to go that route. Good luck.

·
Registered
797 Posts
vvanherk said:
Hey All.

Thanks for your help.
Vic
I live on a dirt/gravel road as well and my driveway, 1 km, is also gravel (in fact, I need to put new stone down...thanks for reminding me).

My opinion is don't bother with mud flaps. I think they'll detract from the overall appearance of the car. As well, at high speeds they'll flap back an forth AND, also at high speeds, they could disrupt the airflow near the wheel wells, possibly changing the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

Instead, I just wash my car a lot. Sometimes twice I week, once at home on the weekend and once at a detailer. This may sound extreme, but a saloon car like the M5 deserves it.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
797 Posts
x703jko said:
I live on a dirt/gravel road as well and my driveway, 1 km, is also gravel (in fact, I need to put new stone down...thanks for reminding me).

My opinion is don't bother with mud flaps. I think they'll detract from the overall appearance of the car. As well, at high speeds they'll flap back an forth AND, also at high speeds, they could disrupt the airflow near the wheel wells, possibly changing the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

Instead, I just wash my car a lot. Sometimes twice I week, once at home on the weekend and once at a detailer. This may sound extreme, but a saloon car like the M5 deserves it.

Jeff cherrsagai
PS I've never had problems with stone chips etc. :nono: In fact, most of the stone chips I have are from highway driving.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
x703jko said:

Jeff cherrsagai
Ya, been washing mine about twice a week as well. I hate driving a dirty car. Also, they go faster when they are clean :M5launch:

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ray540inyc said:
drive really slow..
Aaarrrgh.

I do. It is tough. Takes me almost 4-5 minutes to walk it down the driveway and that little patch of road. Engine is throbbing, exhaust is rumbling, and it just wants to get pegged and take off :M5launch: It is a very good exercise in patience, but frankly, if I need exercise, I'll go to the gym :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts