BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this week off of work for the holidays, so I decided to put the M6 to the test as a true GT car. On Wednesday I packed a few things, grabbed my camera, and headed off to Monterey for a 4 day, 3 night trip. I left on Wednesday afternoon, taking the 5 to the 46, and then the 101 the rest of the way to Salinas, and then the 68 to Monterey. This is the "fast" way. Not much to see. The trip was excellent, if uneventful. It was a great test of the M6's ability to remain comfortable over a long haul. It was also a good test of its ride quality, comfort, and passing ability. Ride quality was very good, though obviously stiffer than a regular 6 series. Comfort was also good, though it did feel good to get out and stretch when I pulled over for gas. I adjusted the seat a bit and adding a bit more recline made it better for the remaining miles. Passing power - this is where the car never ceased please me. The 46 is a very long, very straight stretch of road that is mostly 2 lanes, with intermittently spaced 4 lane passing zones. There are often big trucks and slow tourists clogging up this road, and sometimes you can get stuck behind a slow train of cars for what feels like hours. The first couple of times I passed cars, I would downshift into 4th or 3rd gear and go ripping past them. Eventually I was just leaving it in 5th or 6th, because the car would build up steam so quickly that it didn't even matter. I was able to easily 2, 3 or even 4 cars without a second thought. I would often find I was passing 100-110mph when changing back into my lane and would need to get on the brakes for fear of getting nailed by CHP. It felt effortless.

The next day I decided to go for a cruise on PCH from Monterey down to Big Sur and back. I don't really have the words to express how enjoyable of a drive that was. There was not a lot of traffic, the weather was good, and the car absolutely devoured the road. SMG showed its value, the suspension worked well, the engine was just phenomenal, the car was made for roads like PCH. I had intended on stopping to take photos fairly often, but the driving experience was so good that I couldn't bring myself to pull over. I was having way too much fun on the long and winding stretches between Carmel and Big Sur. I kept going for about 30 miles, turned around and did them over again, had an amazing lunch and then hung it up for the afternoon.

On Friday I spent half the day cruising the famous 17 mile drive, which runs through Pebble Beach. This is not a spirited drive. At all. It is a slow, leisurely cruise through some beautiful neighborhoods along the coast. I took a lot of photos and enjoyed the relaxed pace. Again, the M6 showed its versatility by being just as easy to put around in as it was to run down PCH.

Today, Saturday, was the grand finale: A full length drive down PCH from Monterey to Cambria, and then back across the 46, then the 5 south to home. Unfortunately, the weather finally turned bad. It rained almost the entire way. So I was only able to take a few pics along the way. On the bright side, PCH was almost completely empty. I had it to myself for stretches of miles at a time. Even with the rain, it was fantastic to drive. The drive on the 46 was just as good, if not better. The rolling, green hills of the southern wine country are sometimes overlooked in favor of the coast, and that's a shame because they offer their own amazing beauty. And again, I had the road to myself. It was all I could do to restrain myself from cruising at over 100 the whole way. Which was good, because I drove right into the clutches of a waiting CHP cruiser. Luckily, I was only doing a little bit over the speed limit at that moment and he didn't come after me. But I figured that was a warning sign not to be ignored, so I dialed it back a bit and just cruised the rest of the way home.

All in all I have to give the M6 an A+ as a GT car. It was comfortable, it was quiet and offers a lot of luxurious touches like all of the satnav features, the satellite radio, the ipod connectivity, the heated seats, the PDC, etc. It was very fast and handled great. The trunk had ample room for my suitcase and a camera bag. I could have easily fit in another couple of suitcases if needed. It really does everything well.

Here are some of the photos from various points of the trip:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Beautiful scenery! thanks for sharing. What camera?

·
Registered
704 Posts
We lived in Monterey for a few years. A great place to drive and take pics. Thanks for the shots!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Looks like it was great fun!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Awesome pictures. Love the bokeh on the animal shots.

You can look at the exif data in the photos for info on camera, lens and settings:
Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II (nice!)
Lens Model: EF135mm f/2L USM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts