BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story:
Being in Boston was not kind to my wheels. Boston potholes + stiff suspension + 18" wheels + 1 year = wheels with corners.:crying:
I couldn't really justify spending a lot for new wheels, so I went about finding a place to fix them.
I found Wheels America. They have a dozen or so locations across the country, but the closest one to me was San Francisco. They turn them around in 24 hours, and straighten them and take care of any cosmetic blemishes, scratches, etc. Then they shipped them COD to a tire shop in Reno. Total cost including shipping both ways was about $500.
The tire shop put some new meats on: Yokohama AVS dBs, which are all-season and one hell of a lot cheaper than Pilot Sport A/Ss.
I put them on after work yesterday and went for a drive. The wheels are PERFECT! No hint of a shake or wobble or clunk or anything.
The tires seem good too.:D Can't wait to get them broken in!
In short, I'd recommend Wheels America to anyone who doesn't want to spring for new wheels.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Fast6,
What locations is Wheels America? Hopefully in the south east? Do you have contact info or web site? I have a rim that recently acquired some curb rash. I also am about due to replace the fronts. This might be a good solution.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think this question is what most of the members here really would like to know; Did they match the wheel finish to the original chrome shadow color? I have been calling alot of places and the first word that comes out of their mouth is that they won't be able to match the color on the M5 wheels. Please let us know if the finish is close or what?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Richard-
Miami is the closest location to you. Check out http://fixrim.com . My rims had some scratches and whatnot, and those were fixed flawlessly. I was more worried about the bent part than the cosmetic part, but getting rid of those scratches was a nice bonus.

rayhp-
My wheels don't have the chrome shadow finish, so I don't know if they can match it. However, they matched my finish color EXACTLY. However, I know how hard the chrome shadow finish is to find, so I'd definitely ask before sending your wheels in. Good luck.

Eliot

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, one of these days I'll spend the time to take a bunch of shots. Here's a quickie I took at work a couple weeks ago. And yes, driving my car in the snow is interesting!

More to come...sometime.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sweet

Is your car a Euro Spec or has the bumpers been replaced? Also what is the story of the engine conversion? a 645 sounds like a lot of fun. I used to own a E23 and I've driven a 745i manual and I Really loved that engine!

Carl

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carl-
She started as a Euro 635. US bumpers are ugly! The story so far (I'm trying to piece it together) is that it's the M102 engine from a 745, built after 83 or so. There were 2 engines in the 745, a 3.2L and 3.4L. It seems as though I have the 3.4. The M102 uses a turbo that has a lot of potential (runs stock at 6lbs), and there are guys out there that run it at 17+lbs,:eek: apparently without any reliability issues.
But you're very right, it's a sweet sweet engine, especially considering its age. I usually don't listen to the radio; the engine sounds good enough for me! BMW was way ahead of its time, even back then.
-Eliot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts