Warranty repairs:

1- Mileage 51, 171 RECALL 06E-A03 DME REPR
2- Mileage 46,405 Rubber element, middle exhaust system mounting loose
3- Mileage 46,405 Pulse generator, camshaft permanent malfunction
4- Mileage 42,892 Solenoid valve for camshaft adjusting unit leaking
Rubber element, middle exhaust system mounting cracked / broken / torn off
5- Mileage 34,427 Starter unpleasant noises
5135003900Power window, rear unpleasant noises
6- Mileage 13,391 Instrument panel cover, passenger airbag poorly adapted/fitted
7- Mileage 12,098 Amplifier, HiFi / Top HiFi system (HiFi system Professional) permanent malfunction
6590041400Determining location/position, navigation (CCC / MASK / navigation system) occasional malfunction

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I don't see anything to be real concerned about there. Looks like the previous owner was very particular to replace anything making odd noises which means they most likely took good care of the car. The only real serious repair on that list is the leaking VANOS.

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
376 Posts
Seems a little light...

How about oil changes and type of oil
Fluid condition, coolant, diff tranny etc...
Life of brakes, when where they last replaced?
Tires
Guibl, remaining CPS sensors...........

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No oil changes?
All oil changes were done at the Indy shop using Mobile 1 0w-40 (claimed).

All fluids last replaced at 61K during Inspection II.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see anything to be real concerned about there. Looks like the previous owner was very particular to replace anything making odd noises which means they most likely took good care of the car. The only real serious repair on that list is the leaking VANOS.
It funny that you say that because that is exactly what the seller claimed, any unusual noise or creek and he was at the dealer. He has owned the car since it was 11 months old and 6000 miles.

·
Registered
241 Posts
All oil changes were done at the Indy shop using Mobile 1 0w-40 (claimed).

All fluids last replaced at 61K during Inspection II.
even the ones covered by BMW? seems strange that someone would pay an indy always vs allowing BMW to do the free ones and paying for in-between changes or something

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
even the ones covered by BMW? seems strange that someone would pay an indy always vs allowing BMW to do the free ones and paying for in-between changes or something

Ahh I see. Yes, There are some on the report. I didn't want to copy/paste the whole report because I received the report from a source other than the dealer himself.

That said, I still dont see as many oil changes as I would like to see, will be asking the owner about that.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Hello,

Here are the service records I received for the car:

Out of warranty:

Mileage 63K T-Stat replaced
Mileage 63K Brake booster replaced
Mileage 63K Thrust bushings replaced

Warranty repairs:

1- Mileage 51, 171 RECALL 06E-A03 DME REPR
2- Mileage 46,405 Rubber element, middle exhaust system mounting loose
3- Mileage 46,405 Pulse generator, camshaft permanent malfunction
4- Mileage 42,892 Solenoid valve for camshaft adjusting unit leaking
Rubber element, middle exhaust system mounting cracked / broken / torn off
5- Mileage 34,427 Starter unpleasant noises
5135003900Power window, rear unpleasant noises
6- Mileage 13,391 Instrument panel cover, passenger airbag poorly adapted/fitted
7- Mileage 12,098 Amplifier, HiFi / Top HiFi system (HiFi system Professional) permanent malfunction
6590041400Determining location/position, navigation (CCC / MASK / navigation system) occasional malfunction
This is not a service history.

It shows 7 Warranty jobs by BMW it seems.

It also shows 3 repairs carried at 63K Miles (Does not state BMW)

Were there any dates associated with the 7 warranty jobs ? Same with the 63K Miles job ?

Have you bought this car ?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is not a service history.

It shows 7 Warranty jobs by BMW it seems.

It also shows 3 repairs carried at 63K Miles (Does not state BMW)

Were there any dates associated with the 7 warranty jobs ? Same with the 63K Miles job ?

Have you bought this car ?

Since I got the complete report from someone other than the local dealer, I did not want to just copy and paste the repair list. I typed the information myself from the repair report.
The 3 warranty jobs were done out of State but at a BMW dealer, the receipt will accompany the car at delivery.

I have put a deposit down and am to pick the car up on Thursday.
Its a 2002 with 64K miles.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Since I got the complete report from someone other than the local dealer, I did not want to just copy and paste the repair list. I typed the information myself from the repair report.
The 3 warranty jobs were done out of State but at a BMW dealer, the receipt will accompany the car at delivery.

Cool ! These are great cars !!

....as long as the owner has cared for it, in his own way.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
What did the owner say about oil usage/consumption?

M1 0W40 is light. I'd recommend 5W50

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
What did the owner say about oil usage?

M1 0W40 is light. I'd recommend 5W50
0W40 Mobil 1 is an excellent ACEA A3, B3/B4 rated oil (i.e. High HTHS, high temperature high shear rate) -- most other Mobil 1 oils are not. If I was to use Mobil 1 (and do in my E90, E46, S4, and 850R), I would only use the 0W40. It's HTHS properties are supposedly similar to German Castrol 5W30 (i.e. BMW 5W30 synthetic).

Chuck

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Back in Raleigh by Saturday morning...if so, join us for the M5 meetup discussed in tranck's thread on powerchip.

Chuck

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
0W40 Mobil 1 is an excellent ACEA A3, B3/B4 rated oil (i.e. High HTHS, high temperature high shear rate) -- most other Mobil 1 oils are not. If I was to use Mobil 1 (and do in my E90, E46, S4, and 850R), I would only use the 0W40. It's HTHS properties are supposedly similar to German Castrol 5W30 (i.e. BMW 5W30 synthetic).

Chuck
You are correct. It is actually a bit more viscous than BMW 5w30 (so I had that wrong).

A

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ahh I see. Yes, There are some on the report. I didn't want to copy/paste the whole report because I received the report from a source other than the dealer himself.

That said, I still dont see as many oil changes as I would like to see, will be asking the owner about that.
ok good, it would be even more strange if there were no oil change records (who buys an 80-90k car originally and doesn't change the oil lol

good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts