BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the air-intakes done. As Larosa said, they are a high quality item. Install was an hour only and on the M5 the front bumper did not have to come off. The ram funnel can be installed by removing the kidney grills. Now for the fun part. My M5 is nicely modded. SS headers, Evosport pulley, Eisenmann exhaust with sections 1 and 2 and Meisterschaft race exhaust w/ CF tips and the Evosport 3.91 diff ( by the way never a problem opposed to Dinan ). The car dyno'ed at 460 rwHP and felt and sounded fantastic. The air intakes I feel is not a " dyno-able " item. The effect comes from the car blasting through the air 100, 120 and 150 mph and the air ramming in the grills. I felt an added pull not felt before and my shop guy agreed. A smile just permeated into my face as screamed in S6 P500S. To me it is worth the money, it did not hurt to write the check. The Dinan throttle bodies are coming this week and with the intakes I believe they will be worth doing. One thing though, Dinan increases the throttle body each from 50 to 52 mm. but locally I could get a good machinist to do it for 300 bucks. Dinan wants 3000 bucks, go figure, they are making stupid big money on this one! But we want to keep every thing with a name so Dinan gets our money. Again I'm new to the board and really enjoy it. I'm not new to performance cars, I raced SCCA and IMSA for 9 years ( Porsche 911 3.8 RSR ). My best to all and man I love driving the power of the M5 as much as my 997 GT3.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Nicely tuned beast you got there! Thanks for the write up. I was thinking of holding out for the AFE intake system supposedly coming out in the fall although I'm sure the Gruppe M intakes are beautiful looking.

·
Registered
249 Posts
PICs PLEASE!!!... and if you dont mind... how much did all the mods run you?

Because I have a budget in mind for my car... I only have another year and half with it (as it is leased), so I gotta keep it simple...

Unless I go with the '09 M5...

BTW... I ordered the BWC air filters... Would the Gruppe system work better and give better performance than the drop-ins im getting??? Should I go that route???

·
Registered
682 Posts
Based on the picture of the gM intake it looks like the filters are not completely closed in the engine bay. Are the filters in a sealed box with a dedicated intake duct?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Based on the picture of the gM intake it looks like the filters are not completely closed in the engine bay. Are the filters in a sealed box with a dedicated intake duct?

Thanks.
I called and spoke with GruppeM in the USA last week and discussed their intakes for the E60 at length. They are not sealed and they can suck in hot air from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will post pictures but need new ones taken since getting the Vorsteiner vented CF hood, CF grills/gills and hugh Brembo brakes. Been very busy w/ work, people just keep getting sick and the call has been nonstop.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I like your new signature! :cheers:

·
Registered
126 Posts
My dealer charged me $ 2,399.00 I think they have been discounted, make sure you check it out. the website says 2,999.00.

·
Registered
126 Posts
2,399.00 for the dinan throttle boddies. sorry...

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Wow, that's a nice fat discount on the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow I didn't know about that price of $2399. Thanks for the heads up. I do not have any confidence with the dealer locally, they are brain-dead. Thank goodness I have Active Autowerke local and another small shop. Concerning the ECU upgrades, if Dinan is dragging their feet, you may consider Active. Especially if you go for the headers. Do it, you feel the response.

·
Registered
226 Posts
sounds like a good mod

buddy of mine got it locally but have not have a chance to test drive it yet

he said there was a noticeable difference

·
Registered
126 Posts
no software with that price.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts