BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It sounded a bit weird and wheezy when I picked it up at 7pm yesterday. Me and my wife and and friends of ours met up for dinner. After finishing dessert at another locale, everyone pointed out a huge ding in the hood! It was caused by something INSIDE the engine compartment no less! I thought they were kidding me just to gtet a rise out of me but it was no joke and I wasn't laughing. A week without my M5 and this is my reward. I made plans with a buddy to take the beast BACK in the AM today. We arrived around 11am, and explained to the service advisor why I wanted the ding fixed, and after MUCH hemming and hawing on his part they agreed to take the car and actually give me a loaner. At this point I noticed something was wrong. The fresh air ducts leading into the car were missing! Both of them! No wonder the car was wheezing and I smelled the engine!! The fan shroud was shattered and had shop rag material stuick to it. I also noticed my engine cover/belly pan was gone! The SA had this dumbstruck look on his face and said, "there's nothing to worry about just because some parts are missing."

My friend took a step back and waited for me to punch his lights out.

I calmly said, "You keep the car, give me my FREE RENTAL, and do not contact me until EVERYTHING is fixed."

I then left. In disbelief we went over to new car sales and test drove the new line hoping to forget...........ouich

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
ALEV8 said:
It sounded a bit weird and wheezy when I picked it up at 7pm yesterday. Me and my wife and and friends of ours met up for dinner. After finishing dessert at another locale, everyone pointed out a huge ding in the hood! It was caused by something INSIDE the engine compartment no less! I thought they were kidding me just to gtet a rise out of me but it was no joke and I wasn't laughing. A week without my M5 and this is my reward. I made plans with a buddy to take the beast BACK in the AM today. We arrived around 11am, and explained to the service advisor why I wanted the ding fixed, and after MUCH hemming and hawing on his part they agreed to take the car and actually give me a loaner. At this point I noticed something was wrong. The fresh air ducts leading into the car were missing! Both of them! No wonder the car was wheezing and I smelled the engine!! The fan shroud was shattered and had shop rag material stuick to it. I also noticed my engine cover/belly pan was gone! The SA had this dumbstruck look on his face and said, "there's nothing to worry about just because some parts are missing."

My friend took a step back and waited for me to punch his lights out.

I calmly said, "You keep the car, give me my FREE RENTAL, and do not contact me until EVERYTHING is fixed."

I then left. In disbelief we went over to new car sales and test drove the new line hoping to forget...........ouich
Holy Moly, good job restraining yourself! I hope you ran the stink out of their new tester cars! Sorry to hear that S***. Sounds like they owe you 1) a resored car, 2) an explanation, and 3) dinner for two (minimum).

Hang in there.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
ALEV8 said:
At this point I noticed something was wrong. The fresh air ducts leading into the car were missing! Both of them! No wonder the car was wheezing and I smelled the engine!! The fan shroud was shattered and had shop rag material stuick to it. I also noticed my engine cover/belly pan was gone! The SA had this dumbstruck look on his face and said, "there's nothing to worry about just because some parts are missing."
Bloody Moron SA. Your sig says "law firm". Hit them where it realy hurts.
Incompetent bastards.

This story proves you always have to check absolutely everything yourself when the dealer has had your car.

I do hope it gets sorted. Keep us posted.

David

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I would find the service manager and remind him that this sort of service is disgusting, then ask who gave the car its final inspection as it obviously never got one.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Holy Moly, good job restraining yourself! I hope you ran the stink out of their new tester cars! Sorry to hear that S***. Sounds like they owe you 1) a resored car, 2) an explanation, and 3) dinner for two (minimum).

Hang in there.
I would add to the above ... Dessert and a sincere Apology ! ! :hihi:

After you get ALL of the above ... Then ask the SA for a copy of the Work Order Ticket and the Name of the Tech that worked on your car. THAT is the person you should have the very sincere conversation with ! ... and hopefully it won't come to a Nose to Nose.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
ALEV8 said:

I then left.
That's amazing.

I'll give my 2 cents- once they've demonstrated this level of incompetence, they need to 'earn' my trust back.

I would have demanded the GM and Service Manager come out immediately- I would have taken pictures. I would have demanded a work order lisitng the work to be done prior to ;leaving the dealership.

I wouldn't have gotten violent or profane- just "unless you wan't me have the car towed to another shop for a repair estimate and for me to file a lawsuit this week, I need to talk with the GM now. i will wait. If he isn't here, call him."

Now, you've got an SA and a mechanic who may be trying to slam the repairs through without telling anyone- and maybe on the cheap.- will the hood be done right? bondo? New part? paint? What else was damaged? etc.

If you eleveated it prior to releasing the car back it might avoid problems down the road.

A

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I agree with Ard, my car never leaves the Dealership without a thorough look over by myself.

What Dealership is this?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Please post the name of the facility where this occured so that other members can make informed decisions about where to take their cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.