BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting in a line of traffic this morning stopped, (waiting to pay a toll) when I noticed a red blur in my rear-view mirror. Before I had time to even look, I was hit from behind by a Chevrolet Monte Carlo that was spinning out of control.

The accident was caused by an F-150 4x4 that couldn't stop in time, he rear-ended a Plymouth Neon who in turn hit the Monte Carlo sending him spinning into me, I tapped the guy in front of me. It was dark, 26°F, the road was dry, visibilty clear. The neon ended up being pinned against the concrete barrier by the truck, the guy was not in very good shape - bleeding from the head with no feeling in his legs, his airbag did not deploy. I talked to him for a while until he called his wife. EMS arrived quickly and took over, they took him out through the windshield opening. The guy in the truck was taken away in an ambulance too. Here are a few photos of my car:

I Just went over the accident report with my insurance agent, the guy in the Neon is 43 years old as of today, Happy Birthday Dan, I hope you are OK.

For those of you in the Chicago area, this was the 5 car accident on I-90, 1/2 mile West of the Randall Rd Toll Plaza that closed 3 lanes of traffic this morning.

Regards

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
SO sorry...I'm glad that you seem physically OK.

Good luck with the repairs for your M5.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Just glad you are OK. Car can get fixed. Doesn't look too bad, maybe this will be an excuse to "upgrade" some old parts while you fix it!! mmmmmm
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
328 Posts
See? This is exactly why I never take my beast in ANY snowy weather. It is

always a shame when this happens, and I hope all people injured are OK.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jhowton said:
<SNIP> It was dark, 26°F, the road was dry, visibilty clear.
No snow on the roads this morning, the car is in my driveway in the pictures, hence the snow.

Regards

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Stevus said:
See? This is exactly why I never take my beast in ANY snowy weather. ....
?????? Huh? He said the road was dry.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Glad you're ok Jamie - the car can be fixed.. it'll be as good as new in no time :byebye:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You exhibited admirable selflessness in checking on the driver of the Neon.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for both Man and Machine.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
So sorry to hear about another M5 involved in an accident. Best of luck to you and with your repairs!!

Maybe this is just morbid curiousity--sorry--but what tires are you running on your car?

Anita

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Your beast is "just" a car, good to hear you made it out from it ok. Hope all others will get well soon. Accidents do happens some time, and being careful is not always a guarantee nothing will happen.

Your beast will make a great comeback after some "plastic surgery":D

·
Registered
51 Posts
What a shame - glad you are ok. I too am in Chicago, and I drive the AWD Subaru wagon on these crappy days... However, sounds like this could've happened almost anytime of the year. Good luck with the repairs.

BTW, European and US auto in the city (on Broadway, north of Irving Park) is a fantastic body shop - they fixed a Saab I once had, did some restorative work on my old E12 5-series, and a friend took his 3series there for some work. They are very professional, and do fantastic work. The BMW dealer in the city has bodywork done there. Plus, they really know how to deal with insurance companies to get the best for you.

Take care,

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow! Sorry to hear of another accident! Hopefully the Neon driver is OK. It is a terrible way to find out, but we have more proof of just how tough the "Beast" is. Some body work and you should good as new! BTW like the winter wheels, I picked the same ones for my car.

Good Luck and Quick Repair!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Best wishes getting the beast back on the road, and I am glad to hear everyone is ok. A car is a car...as much as we all love them...but they are just cars...

·
Registered
16 Posts
sorry to see that happen to your vehicle. i wish you the best in fixing it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Glad to hear that you're ok, wish you luck in getting the beast fixed....take care.

ed

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anita said:
Maybe this is just morbid curiousity--sorry--but what tires are you running on your car?

Anita
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 in 235/45-17. They work pretty well so far on dry, wet and snowy roads. They seem to get a little "greasy" above 50 degrees and obviously are only a winter tire, but so far so good (as far as the tires go).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the kind sentiments. I am sure that the sheetmetal and plastic will be fixed soon, so far the insurance companies are being very accomodating.

Regards

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ouch - this looks particularly sad given the fact that you still have your temporary plates on. Listen to GavinGray's suggestions re: the repair work - he's a man who knows his cars. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
jhowton said:
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 in 235/45-17. They work pretty well so far on dry, wet and snowy roads. They seem to get a little "greasy" above 50 degrees and obviously are only a winter tire, but so far so good (as far as the tires go).
Thanks for the info. It was not the best time for me to be asking as you have much more important issues to deal with. It's just I'll be needing new winter tires soon and am always looking for feedback from other owners.

Let us know how the repairs go!!

Anita

1 - 20 of 34 Posts