BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my spark plugs and MAFs after I felt the car being slow. Got the MAFs from David who was a great help! So now the beast is running great. Got a chance to do only one run which got my readings to 145 liters/hour. Chaning the MAFs was the biggest power increase I ever felt in a car. Thank you all for your help. :M5launch::1:

Got one quick question. How quite are your M5's. I know the vanos noise is normal. Do you hear it inside the car with the windows up at idle? How quite is the car at around 75-85 mph? I understand it can't be too quiet with 18 inch wheels.

:cheers:

·
Registered
784 Posts
IMMMPRESSED said:
Changed my spark plugs and MAFs after I felt the car being slow. Got the MAFs from David who was a great help! So now the beast is running great. Got a chance to do only one run which got my readings to 145 liters/hour. Chaning the MAFs was the biggest power increase I ever felt in a car. Thank you all for your help. :M5launch::1:

Got one quick question. How quite are your M5's. I know the vanos noise is normal. Do you hear it inside the car with the windows up at idle? How quite is the car at around 75-85 mph? I understand it can't be too quiet with 18 inch wheels.

First of all congradulations..... good job....

As for noise "uuuggh"........vanos is usually noisey when first started.....if at all and then will quiet down after running for a bit......... as for 18" wheels; this is the OEM size and would not be an issue however some tires certainly tend to produce more road noise......... The issues that you have shared should cause "NO" concerns when driving and if they do get a second local opinion if for no other reason than "Peace of Mind".

Take care

Shadowman

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Glad that your M5 is running well.

I consider the M5 to be a very quiet car unless compared to a Lexus. The predominate noise at low crusing speeds (60-70) in 6th is the tires with the engine sound level becoming more predominate (but not intrusive) by 80 mph. The tire brand and type make a bigger difference than the size. My PS2s on stock rims are much more quiet than my track Kuhmos on 17s.

I hear the VANOS noise on startup. Its not objectionable with the windows up, only if you listen under the hood. Once running, the engine is smooth and quiet (even more so since the Inspection II). With a stock exhaust, the sound level even in the 4k & up rpm range is less than many lesser V6 models. That is a shame since the s62 is such a good sounding motor when running hard.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
IMMMPRESSED said:

Very glad it worked out well!

About the sound: get some BMW Gummipflege (or similair rubber preserving grease) and rub that into all the rubber door seals. It will make the rubber much softer, and improve the sound barrier quality of the door seals.

It is cheap and extremely effective.

Cheers!

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts