BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of some needed driveline maintenance. That includes driveshaft, guibo, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel...and pilot bearing. As some may know, pullers do not always work well to get the small pilot bearing out of the crankshaft. Frustrated, I started searching and found a cool method to get it out. Bread! A video of the method can be found here and elsewhere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfDV982g4XM

Stuff it in the bearing hole, then press it with an appropriate drift. I used a 9mm socket and extension, then hammered and stuffed bread until it came out! The beauty of this method vs. grease is that the bread can easily be scraped out of the hole...

Attachments

·
Banned
487 Posts
So, I've got to ask... Gluten free or just the standard?

Haha, friggin' awesome idea though, it makes sense when you think about it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gooier, the better...even birthday cake! :cake: but its easier than wet paper, grease, etc. After spending hours with a puller, this was amazing and simple.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Works like charm for me. I use bread to plug copper pipes for sweating too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Brilliant - must definitely remember that one.

I'm going to have to be the one to ask this - what do you use if the bearing is already toast?

Sorry...................

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think one of the videos I saw had the guy eating a sandwich, then stuffing part of it into the hole. I think it takes close to 3 slices...and cleanup is a snap!

This job is definitely a lesson in mission creep... Now ordering a hood cable release (only one strand left)!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts