BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brakes done..check with the EAS package. Had the dealer look into the supercharger whine. They have to drop the oil pan, the sound was from that. Might be an oil pump or the chain. Needless to say worst case will be 2 grand if the chain is giving way. Few people here has a supercharger sounding whine......will keep you updated. Have a new 3 series for the time being. Kinda bummed though. I did buy the car with the whine and thought it was normal.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, having the oil saved so I can send it to Blackstone Labs for analysis.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, BMW dealer says it is the VANOS pump and needs to be replaced. They are ordering the pump and hoses now. This kinda blows around Christmas time.....Car has 81K miles on it now.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I will and I want the old pump back. I also sent out the TSB number to the dealer for the VANOS hose checks. I do not remember seeing a recall check on my 2006 sticker saying it was performed. Was thinking about doing an oil pump replacement at the same time while they are in there but this is big money for me at Christmas time. About 25% of what the car is worth. Now...if something goes wrong with the bearings.....that would suck royally after spending all this money on Vanos replacement. All I need now is the SMG pump to go......DOH!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a whine on mine too, dealer has pointed finger at a small pin prick hole in my exhaust! (used to have aftermarket, then standard welded back on before i brought it) basically around that weld!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is quite a bit different from exhaust. But this repair is not cheap for VANOS. I actually think that is the problem. I do not want it to totally fail and turn the car into a 5 series roller.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
2006, 81K on the ODO, now getting rod bearings replaced, VANOS replaced....$$$$$$$$$$$$$ metal shavings in the oil.

All I need now is the SMG pump to crap out........then I went the trinity of BMW M repairs;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are they rebuilding the engine or at least replacing the oil cooler? Shaving tend to travel.
route.

Good point on the oil cooler, no they are not replacing that but I might get that done since they are in there. They said the shavings were minor. I do have to keep in mind the cost vs what this car is worth. Right now the repairs are a little over 25% of what the car is worth....and if traded in.....with repairs...major loss. Once this M5 finally dies, done with these high maintenance cars and going a different route. My Porsche 996 was a better daily driver. I am lucky to have a job that pays for the maintenance and repairs on the car....but it still hurts the pocket book. Love the M5, but way too many problems and for the price to power/repair ratio....it blows.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My service mechanic at the dealer says the oil pump should be fine. Hope to pick up the car sometime next week. They are saving the rod bearings for me. I will post a pic when I get them

·
Registered
22 Posts
in for this as I have the whine as well. Was told by a BMW master tech that its a gear whine coming from my diff as it certainly sounds like it is coming from the rear end and is inaudible at low speeds

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, status is I traded in my Porsche 911/996 for the used M5 at the Porsche dealer. I made the 996 bullet proof with the IMS fix and had the trans rebuilt. Just had the go back to BMW itch. Porsche dealer had the M5 on the lot while I was getting an oil change, took the M5 out for a drive and fell in love with BMW again. Porsche dealer said it was full serviced by the local BMW dealer and good to go. My head BMW tech at the BMW dealer told me that the Porsche dealer sent the M5 to them for service, got the oil changed and they noticed the supercharger sound...yes, I know my car does not have a supercharger but it made that whine noise. The BMW dealer said we need to check that out....something is not right. Porsche dealer said...trade in, not messing with it since BMW said they would take the pan off and check the VANOS. Then enters me....take the Porsche 911 for an oil change at the dealer, see the M5....trade the Porsche in.

Cliff notes: Had Porsche, traded it in at Porsche dealer for M5 they said was serviced by local BMW dealer. Porsche dealer found out was going to be expensive repair and said screw it. Then, I bought the M5...drove for a year with the noise...now, new VANOS, and new rod bearings. I actually blame this all on me in the long run.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Car should be back next week, new VANOS, new rod bearings, fresh oil change, new brakes and pads, new dry filters, Dinan monoball bearing upgrade. I have the rod bearings coming back so I can post a pic. I could get the old VANOS back but do not see the point as I can't see wear on that. Entire engine is being blown out to make sure no oil is left in it. Most of the particulates are copper for some reason and really not too big. Pan is getting cleaned well. Just posted this to update all of you. The engine whine is a big issue for people that have it...VANOS is probably dead. Look at a few grand for the VANOS and labor.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Do you happen to have a video of the whine noise before this major repair?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Car should be back next week, new VANOS, new rod bearings, fresh oil change, new brakes and pads, new dry filters, Dinan monoball bearing upgrade. I have the rod bearings coming back so I can post a pic. I could get the old VANOS back but do not see the point as I can't see wear on that. Entire engine is being blown out to make sure no oil is left in it. Most of the particulates are copper for some reason and really not too big. Pan is getting cleaned well. Just posted this to update all of you. The engine whine is a big issue for people that have it...VANOS is probably dead. Look at a few grand for the VANOS and labor.

If you can get the pump back, I'll pay the shipping. I've been looking at how to remachine the races on these.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you happen to have a video of the whine noise before this major repair?

Wish I did, but made the car sound like it had a supercharger. The whine was just like that.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you can get the pump back, I'll pay the shipping. I've been looking at how to remachine the races on these.
I can probably get it back, right now just wanted one rotor for a wall decoration and the rod bearings and guides back to post pictures from a 2006 with 81K miles on it. Regardless.....About 2 grand on brake change...rotors and pads front and rear, Dinan monoball upgrade for failing thrust rod bushings, new VANOS, new rod bearings.....getting close to about half of what this car is worth. Yes, you can say DIY....but add up the parts vs the miles. BMW owner since 1991, this is the first one that tanked me. Now with this money invested in it....keeping it. No way I can trade it in and take a major loss for all the repairs. I can say, I knew owning a M5 like my Porsche 911 was not for the faint of heart and knew you needed to keep a nice savings account to keep them on the road. In the last 5 years, I have spent now $17 grand on keeping a Porsche and BMW M5 on the road.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts