BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha - I just upgraded to the latest bluetooth ulf module in my 2003 (I was surprised to find it already installed as a dlr option):2:, but didn't need all the stuff that came with the package...oddment tray with phone button, bt antenna...cables, etc. It's so nice to have BT handsfree! I would happily divest myself of the original ulf (first generation) fully functional and hardly used, with all the brand new parts for a much cheaper price than buying a brand spanking late model. to be honest, i havent found a discernible difference, though I haven't played with it much yet. PM if interested.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
cost

I bought the kit from bimmernav.com ...its all listed there. I did not get the mount or the mic, as I already have them. these can be purchased from the site. I have attached a few pictures as well. (the ULF module picture is the new one, as the old one is in the car...I hadn't installed this yet. they look exactly the same from the outside)

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Please update this post with any volume issues, if any, going from Gen 1 to Gen 13 ULF and the capability to view SMS messages if possible.

Many thanks!

·
In Memoriam
93 Posts
A word of caution about first gerneration ULFs

From Bimmernav.com

NOTE on US BMW Dealer Kits: Please note that the US dealers are still selling the very early first generation ULF module BMW P/N 84 21 6 934 552 as a replacement part. BMW North America seems to have a large stockpile of these old units that BMW AG refuses to install in the new BMWs due to their old technology. BMW NA's only option seems to be pushing these old modules on unknowing US customers. I personally recommend against getting the first generation BMW P/N 84 21 6 934 552 ULF module and demanding the new generation ULF modules, wherever you decide to purchase.

grrrrrrr

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran a loose A/B test today, and called a voicemail as well as held conversations with each ulf module...old and new. I did not notice any difference in the volume between them. The old one was just a bit more tinny (is that a word?) than the new one on the voicemail I recorded. in terms of recognition with my phone, they both seemed to connect in roughly the same amount of time. my phone OS is locked down so it won't send sms to the unit...but really, do you want to read text messages on your nav system while driving?

Regarding buying the 1st gen unit, I would have to say, yes, you should NOT buy a first gen for full price when you can get the latest for the same price. Although, quite frankly, now that I have upgraded from first gen to 13th gen, it's difficult to justify all that money for a slightly better sound on the new unit. But going from NO bluetooth to bluetooth/integrated handsfree...that's a worthwhile upgrade.

·
Registered
683 Posts
From Bimmernav.com

NOTE on US BMW Dealer Kits: Please note that the US dealers are still selling the very early first generation ULF module BMW P/N 84 21 6 934 552 as a replacement part. BMW North America seems to have a large stockpile of these old units that BMW AG refuses to install in the new BMWs due to their old technology. BMW NA's only option seems to be pushing these old modules on unknowing US customers. I personally recommend against getting the first generation BMW P/N 84 21 6 934 552 ULF module and demanding the new generation ULF modules, wherever you decide to purchase.

grrrrrrr
Have zero problems with my 1st gen. Always question the motives...

Reactions: Petey Pop

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Have zero problems with my 1st gen. Always question the motives...
not a bimmernav fanboy or anything, but it really is true that the 1st Gens arent quite as "good" in terms of audio quality/phone compatibility. While you may not have a problem with your 1st Gen, you could have clearer calls and more BT functionality. I know for a fact that people could tell they were on a speakerphone with my 7th gen, and with my 12th and 13th gens they were hard pressed to tell anything until my radar detector gave it all away. It really boils down to how picky you are, but IMO its like paying full price for a rear projection big screen TV thats 8 years old today.

·
Registered
158 Posts
my iphone keep disconnecting. I had the BT installed when it first came out in 03, so I assume it is 1st gen. How do I tell? Will my dealer be able to upgrade so my iphone works??

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have gen 1 and notice no issues about voice quality. It would be good to have someone (hint :bimmernav) take me up on a challenge to show difference with A/B testing. I am happy to do it on my car.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I have gen 1 and notice no issues about voice quality. It would be good to have someone (hint :bimmernav) take me up on a challenge to show difference with A/B testing. I am happy to do it on my car.
The module isnt the only thing. The phone is a big part of the equation. I have an 11th gen and a 9th gen, both happily pair with my BB and both have stellar voice quality. With my older BB, they both sounded like I was stuck at the bottom of a well. It's all about which one works best (or works period) with your phone. There is no real standard in BT technology, so there is no real way to do a strict A/B.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's a really ignorant N00b question - My 2001 M5 has the original phone kit. What more do I need to purchase/install to get Bluetooth to work? When I've looked at bimmernav's site, I get the impression that I have to completely replace the system.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts