BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Transmission Fault and then an Engine Fault Light today, so the road monster is going back to the workshop tomorrow at 8 am - this will be his 3rd visit - I think he's a little bit tempremental.

The Check control message states that the transmission is in Failsafe mode and the message from the engine one was something about reduced performance - but both messages ended with the visit BMW Service advice.

I know of at least 2 other posts on the board about transmission failure. Maybe we should start a faults sticky.

Welcome to the bleeding edge of v10/SMG ownership :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
I´ve had the same 2 months ago. Just stopped the car and switched it off for a minute or so. Started again and has worked 100% since. This happened 10000km ago!

The new software for the SMG will cure it, BMW M said. I had it installed at the same time I removed the speed limiter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cidair said:
I´ve had the same 2 months ago. Just stopped the car and switched it off for a minute or so. Started again and has worked 100% since. This happened 10000km ago!

The new software for the SMG will cure it, BMW M said. I had it installed at the same time I removed the speed limiter.

Is that CIP release 19 ?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think it is 19.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Got the same thing, but I learned something from it. When driving it to the limits, don't try to change the gear down at high speeds(for ex., in 3rd gear, don't change down to 2 at 100km/h or so, try to change at max. 10km/h less) and also change everytime it reaches 8rpm, don't wait a bit longer(that's when the temp. goes above 120 degrees), then it wont change gears at all and that fault thing comes.

know these stuff, and ur good to go wit no faults.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Jad said:
Got the same thing, but I learned something from it. When driving it to the limits, don't try to change the gear down at high speeds(for ex., in 3rd gear, don't change down to 2 at 100km/h or so, try to change at max. 10km/h less) and also change everytime it reaches 8rpm, don't wait a bit longer(that's when the temp. goes above 120 degrees), then it wont change gears at all and that fault thing comes.

know these stuff, and ur good to go wit no faults.
Maybe I didnt understand you correctly, but that shouldnt happen regardless... You should be able push the car to it's full limits (after being broken in), with out worrying about faults and avoiding them. It's like saying if your finger hurts when you move it, then dont move it... It's just a quick fix... Update the computer.. Hopefully that fixes it :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Maybe i should need the update, or it's because of the break-in. Those problems happened in the low 4000km's, so u could be right. When I used to drive my sl500 to the limits, it kept on giving me "ESP malfunction" or "ABC..."i forgot. Even the thing behind the seats that goes up POPS up instantly for safety reasons for 4 times!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi to all,
I got the same problem (gearchange default with power reduction to 4000 rpm) this morning. For the second time.

1. time: short traffic jam, after 2 h drive (car had 2500 km) (M400, motorway at 120-140 kmh).
2. time (today): short traffic jam, after 20 min. drive (M400, motorway at 120kmh). The car has now 10800 km.

Both times I switched off and on. The power came back, only the orange warning light stayed on. So the next stop to the dealer is on the way...

Regards to all, Antonio

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to the dealer today and they got the fault code , and its a SMG fault , the engine fault is related, as faults on transmission can have a domino effect that causes the engine to go into failsafe mode (4k rev limit). Also my fault counter was at 39 , I believe it starts at 40 and counts down. When they entered the code into the diag system it says update car to CIP 19.0 , so its getting that next week (sorry I don;t have the fault code)

Stereo has also development a problem where rear speakers seem to phase in and out, anyone else had this problem ?.

·
Registered
41 Posts
HEY,

ARE WE THE ONLY 2 PEOPLE FROM IRELAND ???

I AM IN CORK .... JAN DELIVERY NOVEMBER BUILD....

:cheers: :M5rev:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BMWM5NUT said:
HEY,

ARE WE THE ONLY 2 PEOPLE FROM IRELAND ???

I AM IN CORK .... JAN DELIVERY NOVEMBER BUILD....

:cheers: :M5rev:

I guess we are , well on the E60 side anyway.
What colour are you getting ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts